U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM

23,379 posts, read 16,394,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
My sense is also that there are more poor Puerto Ricans in NYC than Dominicans.
Or maybe the income levels are similar, but it seems Dominicans are more working poor, not on benefits, etc. to the same extent.
I also think the rate of HIV is lower among Dominicans (not sure why though)
I think you're simply projecting a bias against Puerto Ricans. The Dominican Republic is also pretty poor and as they get lots of tourists, there's LOTS of prostitution.

There's a lot of poverty in the DR, and it's not like the Dominicans who move from the DR to NY are any better educated or more well off than Puerto Ricans.

Just as a lot of Puerto Ricans have issues with incarceration, the same is true for Dominicans. They often live in the same neighborhoods.

Of course a Dominican who doesn't have citizenship cannot get welfare, and Puerto Ricans as US citizens can.

But if you're working off the books without proper legal status and living in an overcrowded apartment, you're not more well off than someone on public assistance. Arguably the person on public assistance in some ways is better off, if they have their own apartment and medicaid.

And I'm not claiming all Puerto Ricans or Dominicans are poor, or that all Puerto Ricans are on welfare or that all Dominicans are illegal.

Just say the issues of poverty that both groups face are not that different from each other.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 AM

3,547 posts, read 1,876,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think you're simply projecting a bias against Puerto Ricans. The Dominican Republic is also pretty poor and as they get lots of tourists, there's LOTS of prostitution.

There's a lot of poverty in the DR, and it's not like the Dominicans who move from the DR to NY are any better educated or more well off than Puerto Ricans.

Just as a lot of Puerto Ricans have issues with incarceration, the same is true for Dominicans. They often live in the same neighborhoods.

Of course a Dominican who doesn't have citizenship cannot get welfare, and Puerto Ricans as US citizens can.

But if you're working off the books without proper legal status and living in an overcrowded apartment, you're not more well off than someone on public assistance. Arguably the person on public assistance in some ways is better off, if they have their own apartment and medicaid.

And I'm not claiming all Puerto Ricans or Dominicans are poor, or that all Puerto Ricans are on welfare or that all Dominicans are illegal.

Just say the issues of poverty that both groups face are not that different from each other.
Well, I'm not biased against puerto Ricans. I have OR friends actually and don't have any Dominican friends, for whatever reason.

I'm a social worker. It just seems that in any workplace I worked at, more puerto Ricans were taking advantage of public benefits than dominicans. That's just been my exoerience/observation

Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM

That was a typo. I meant puerto Rican friends

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not biased against puerto Ricans. I have OR friends actually and don't have any Dominican friends, for whatever reason.

I'm a social worker. It just seems that in any workplace I worked at, more puerto Ricans were taking advantage of public benefits than dominicans. That's just been my exoerience/observation
US citizens can take public benefits. Immigrants until they get greencards or citizenship cannot.

That could be a factor.

Of course it could be your area just has more Puerto Ricanís than Dominicans.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 07-18-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM

Could be. I worked in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM

7,574 posts, read 2,842,452 times
Quote:

You're a social worker that works in specific neighborhoods. There are plenty of Dominicans that get benefits. You just don't happen to work in such neighborhoods. Just look at Dominican neighborhoods like Inwood and Washington Heights where many of the Dominican residents are living in rent stabilized or such buildings. They couldn't afford the rents in most cases otherwise. I mean let's be honest. It takes time to build up wealth, and a lot of people coming from poor countries like the DR are coming because of a lack of opportunity in their own country, so naturally coming here they won't be able to afford rents at $1800 - 2000 for a one bedroom. If anything the Puerto Ricans should be getting less benefits given how long they've had ties with the US. There are some Dominicans that are doing just fine for themselves. My girlfriend is Dominican and earns over 6 figures.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM

81 posts, read 37,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why are we the little brothers in this dynamic? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
No, we been in the US much longer and have more experience in American society, y'all the newcomers compared to us. Plus we have more clout and bigger population numbers across the eastcoast. We got the same Spanish/West African/Taino ancestry ONLY seen in the Spanish Caribbean, yall now are us 20 years ago.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're a social worker that works in specific neighborhoods. There are plenty of Dominicans that get benefits. You just don't happen to work in such neighborhoods. Just look at Dominican neighborhoods like Inwood and Washington Heights where many of the Dominican residents are living in rent stabilized or such buildings. They couldn't afford the rents in most cases otherwise. I mean let's be honest. It takes time to build up wealth, and a lot of people coming from poor countries like the DR are coming because of a lack of opportunity in their own country, so naturally coming here they won't be able to afford rents at $1800 - 2000 for a one bedroom. If anything the Puerto Ricans should be getting less benefits given how long they've had ties with the US. There are some Dominicans that are doing just fine for themselves. My girlfriend is Dominican and earns over 6 figures.
Yes my hypothesis was actually that Dominicans are doing better than puerto Ricans.

I've been a social worker for over 15 years in all neighborhoods in all the boroughs. I just haven't seen that many Dominicans taking advantage of public assistance, mucha, has a, etc. And not as many Dominican substance users either, compared to puerto Ricans

Maybe Dominicans are more similar in that way to other carribean immigrants?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Nycha and HASA that was supposed to read

Old 07-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Yes my hypothesis was actually that Dominicans are doing better than puerto Ricans.

I've been a social worker for over 15 years in all neighborhoods in all the boroughs. I just haven't seen that many Dominicans taking advantage of public assistance, mucha, has a, etc. And not as many Dominican substance users either, compared to puerto Ricans

Maybe Dominicans are more similar in that way to other carribean immigrants?
There are many Dominican drug dealers and substance users in Upper Manhattan and for that matter in the DR.

Youíre declaring personal limited experience as law. Can you cite statistics or specific studies proving that this is a trend?

Otherwise youíre a bigot hiding behind her Puerto Rican friends. White racists will say terrible things, and then claim to have African Americans best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or