U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 795,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Puerto Ricans are all fair skinned, with long hair... Basically white folks (don't mind me laughing as I'm typing this because it's funny quite frankly when I think back to the Puerto Rican friends I had growing up).
I don't know if she's exactly implying all that but if anyone is implying that PR's are all fair skinned with long hair. No. They don't all look like Dayanara Torres. They're actually quite diverse in complexion, facial features, hair type, whatever. You can't pin one singular look as the "Puerto Rican" look. There ain't no such thing.

I don't know very many Puerto Ricans but the few I do know, they all look different from each other! I'm talking skin color, facial features, etc. etc. So, either they must be a very diverse looking group. Or I've just been lucky and know a group of diverse looking Puerto Ricans!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 PM

3,223 posts, read 1,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't know if she's exactly implying all that but if anyone is implying that PR's are all fair skinned with long hair. No. They don't all look like Dayanara Torres. They're actually quite diverse in complexion, facial features, hair type, whatever. You can't pin one singular look as the "Puerto Rican" look. There ain't no such thing.
People have a tendency to generalize. I have a PR friend and they look like X. Thus all PR must look like X. It just doesnt work like that. Its a evolutionary legacy for human's to generalize. But we should limit it as much as we can. I just saw Sicario 2 with PR Benecio Del Toro by the way, good film.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 36,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I guess if you are framing it in that context, USA society etc. But I would think most Dominicans/those of Dominican descent would be slightly offended by being called "little brothers." Especially considering DR at least is it's own country and PR is a US colony.
Yea we are still a colony and DR got their independence I'm proud of y'all. But I'm talking about in a USA context, cuz that's the country WE live in and where both can be found in large numbers.

I didn't mean it in a demeaning way, when I say little I don't mean inferior, I mean we have bigger numbers and been here longer. We basically (with the help of African Americans and Mexican Americans, the former doing most the work) paved the way for other Latinos/West Indians (including Dominicans who have the same exact ancestry as us), Asians, Africans to come here. We went thru the racist Civil Rights era so y'all can be here.

20 years ago, the most notorious Latino gang in NYC was the Latin Kings (mostly Puerto Ricans), now it's the Trinitarios (mostly Dominicans). The similarities dont just include same ancestry/culture, yall got the same high poverty/incarceration rates as us (may be slightly lower but still high), yall live in the same ghettos as us (not all of us are poor but a large portion of both groups). And it's not just like this in New York, in every city with large numbers of Puerto Ricans/Dominicans, Upstate, Connecticut, North Jersey, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Orlando, Miami, wherever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How's this family tree work? Are Cubans the oldest sibling? Haiti the unloved step-sibling?
Lmao let me break it down for u. The Cubans are the oldest brother who was adopted into a rich family and forgot his past and acts all uppity now. The Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are the 2 younger brothers who stayed with their crackhead mother and raised into a broken family. The Haitians are our 2nd cousin that speaks and looks a lil different, but somehow still managed to heavily influence us all, tho the youngest brother (DR) resents him for that.

Last edited by ElCaribenoEast; 07-18-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
Yea we are still a colony and DR got their independence I'm proud of y'all. But I'm talking about in a USA context, cuz that's the country WE live in and where both can be found in large numbers.

I didn't mean it in a demeaning way, when I say little I don't mean inferior, I mean we have bigger numbers and been here longer. We basically (with the help of African Americans and Mexican Americans, the former doing most the work) paved the way for other Latinos/West Indians (including Dominicans who have the same exact ancestry as us), Asians, Africans to come here. We went thru the racist Civil Rights era so y'all can be here.

Lmao let me break it down for u. The Cubans are the oldest brother who was adopted into a rich family and forgot his past and acts all uppity now. The Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are the 2 younger brothers who stayed with their crackhead mother and raised into a broken family. The Haitians are our 2nd cousin that speaks and looks a lil different, but somehow still managed to heavily influence us all, tho the youngest brother (DR) resents him for that.
You might mean well. But your jamming your foot further in your mouth Your sounding really estupido.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 PM

81 posts, read 36,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You might mean well. But your jamming your foot further in your mouth Your sounding really estupido.
maniga its truth mixed with jokes relax

Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,860,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't you feel flattered that Shoshanarose is putting Puerto Ricans on a pedestal? According to her, Puerto Ricans are all fair skinned, with long hair... Basically white folks
Talk about "racist"?
Why is being white "on a pedestal"?

White is not better or worse than black.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,860,026 times
Quote:
Don't know if she meant to say something bad. I don't know really know how to respond to you either because I think people tend to use the friends they have as a prototype of the ethnic group they represent. I myself am a PR of mixed European and African decent. So I might be representative of Puerto Ricans to people who know me. Yet, I was adopted by PR who are actually blonds with blue eyes. My causins and uncles and aunts are actually physically whites, decended from Galiceans and Canarians from Spain. I also have other causins who are dark. .
Exactly. There are both black and white Puerto Ricans, and plenty who are mixed like you.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Exactly. There are both black and white Puerto Ricans, and plenty who are mixed like you.
There is a rivalry among DR and PRs. We are closely linked. Its almost natural to get highly emotional reactions from a DR towards a PR and vise a versa. " o they think they are so much better then us " is the basic response.Yet, infact its all BS. PR men marry DR woman. DR men marry PR women. We tend to get along just fine. Except for me with my Dominican neighbor's wife. Not because she is Dominican but because she is a greedy, nasty comemierda.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 795,171 times
Quote:
DR men marry PR women. We tend to get along just fine. Except for me with my Dominican neighbor's wife. Not because she is Dominican but because she is a greedy, nasty comemierda.
lol! Thanks for the chuckle. And yeah. If someone's a nasty whatever, they are a nasty whatever.
Race or class or gender has nothing to do with it.
Btw, I had to google comemierda. Er...wow... you must really not like her is all I'm gonna say.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol! Thanks for the chuckle. And yeah. If someone's a nasty whatever, they are a nasty whatever.
Race or class or gender has nothing to do with it.
Btw, I had to google comemierda. Er...wow... you must really not like her is all I'm gonna say.
My daughter hates her. My wife is just waiting to tell her off. She acts like her stuff dont stink. Dumb ass woman, she knows we know she collected SSI for her daughter by claiming her daughter lived with her grandparents. She is a greedy piece of turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or