U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:26 PM

7,569 posts, read 2,821,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Go into Washington Heights and tell them that they are "black" and see how quickly they chase you with hysterical screams that they are whatever name that they pick to describe themselves as being mixed.

If Dominicans and Puerto Ricans accepted black identities this topic would NOT be discussed in NYC. These are the two largest Hispanic groups in NYC and so dominate the Latin narrative of this city. That some activists might be adapting these identities says nothing about the majority who do NOT!
I have met some that will acknowledge that they have black in them which I think is a step forward. Sometimes I really wonder... I say to myself, do these people not have a mirror to see that they clearly have visible black in them? I don't mean just skin tone either. I mean features wise, they look like a mix of Spanish from Spain, Indio and black or sometimes just straight up mulatos (Spanish from Spain and black). I think part of the issue is that they are told that they are Dominican or Puerto Rican and in Spanish they treat nationalities as if they are races, which is something else that is absurd. Being Dominican is just a nationality, just like being Puerto Rican or Italian. There are mixed race Italians for example. One of my Italian friends has mixed race children and they speak very little English since they grew up with their mother who is Italian. The father is black (African). Just because they aren't fully white doesn't diminish the fact that they're Italian, though I can tell you right now that many Italians would hesitate to call them Italian because supposedly to be Italian is to be "white".

I think some Dominicans and Puerto Ricans seem to believe that if they admit to having black in them that somehow they're no longer "puro". Such foolishness. I've met people who have told me oh I'm 100% Puerto Rican or Dominican. Then I say to myself, what in the hell does that really mean given how mixed both groups are?

Old 08-06-2018, 05:57 PM

6,962 posts, read 5,523,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have met some that will acknowledge that they have black in them which I think is a step forward. :

Yes increasingly there isnt the complete denial of "blackness" as it is just too embarrassing to be so ignorant in the 21stC. Plus US racial attitudes deny these people any ability to deny this, which is why some think that the USA is so "racist".

Having said that admitting to some "slave ancestry," to quote what some Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have told me, is a completely different story from assuming a "black" identity.

We can debate what various "mixed" categories are called, but what I know is that the vast majority do NOT call themselves "moreno". and definitely not "negro" (except for the negrito description which doesn't imply a racial identity).

Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 PM

7,569 posts, read 2,821,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes increasingly there isnt the complete denial of "blackness" as it is just too embarrassing to be so ignorant in the 21stC. Plus US racial attitudes deny these people any ability to deny this, which is why some think that the USA is so "racist".

Having said that admitting to some "slave ancestry," to quote what some Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have told me, is a completely different story from assuming a "black" identity.

We can debate what various "mixed" categories are called, but what I know is that the vast majority do NOT call themselves "moreno". and definitely not "negro" (except for the negrito description which doesn't imply a racial identity).
LMAO... Of course not... Negro/moreno was considered to be the worst of the worst in the racial "hierarchy" established by the Spaniards and clearly it still is for many Latinos. It's funny that the Spaniards created such nonsense over a hundred years ago, and the criollos are still clinging to it. Oh no, I'm not black. I'm Dominican. Just ask Sammy Sosa and David Ortiz. LMAO

Ortiz went out and married himself a blanquita to "mejorar la raza". lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or