U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 AM

11,470 posts, read 5,740,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most Americans would also have at least basic understanding of cultural differences between Mexico and the Spanish Caribbean. Mexican food is very different from Spanish Caribbean good. Mexicans drink Tequilla and Corona. You have good RUM from the Spanish Caribbean.

Yes, most people who are not ignorant would be cognizant of those differences. Also, even though Reggaeton is popular throughout Latin America (and Spain), Mexican music and Puerto Rican music are different as well.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 AM

3,223 posts, read 1,147,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I doubt they think that. I also think most Americans can actually tell Mexicans and Puerto Ricans apart
No they dont.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
No they dont.
At least around here they do. I rarely if ever hear people around here confuse Mexicans for Puerto Ricans or vice versa. I do think people confuse Central Americans and Ecuadorians for Mexicans, though. Mexican is kind of codeword around here for indigenous looking Latin American person. I'm guilty of this too when I say "I see a lot of Mexicans around X", but then again I don't say things like that unless I know that neighborhood actually has a large Mexican population.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
At least around here they do. I rarely if ever hear people around here confuse Mexicans for Puerto Ricans or vice versa. I do think people confuse Central Americans and Ecuadorians for Mexicans, though. Mexican is kind of codeword around here for indigenous looking Latin American person. I'm guilty of this too when I say "I see a lot of Mexicans around X", but then again I don't say things like that unless I know that neighborhood actually has a large Mexican population.
Outside of the NYC, Miami Orlando, maybe Houston, LA I doubt it. Heck can the average American discern the accents between a Trinidanian and a Jamaican in English ? Travel around the US a little. Infact, lots of Americans dont even know Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 AM

3,542 posts, read 1,865,730 times
Quote:
Agreed.
Puerto Ricans tend to look white, or a mix of white and black.

Mexicans (although there are white Mexicans) tend to look indigenous or mixed indigenous/white (mestizo). Similar to Central Americans.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Outside of the NYC, Miami Orlando, maybe Houston, LA I doubt it. Heck can the average American discern the accents between a Trinidanian and a Jamaican in English ? Travel around the US a little. Infact, lots of Americans dont even know Puerto Ricans are US citizens.
Well I guess I meant in places where both Mexicans and Puerto Ricans can be found in large quantities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed.
Puerto Ricans tend to look white, or a mix of white and black.

Mexicans (although there are white Mexicans) tend to look indigenous or mixed indigenous/white (mestizo). Similar to Central Americans.
Right, Mexicans tend to have very straight hair naturally, while Puerto Ricans tend to have wavy or curly hair. Even the lighter skinned Puerto Ricans I know obviously have kinky hair once it grows out longer then Caesar length.

I do know a girl from Guerrero, Mexico with curly hair, but I would still say her hair is straighter than the average Puerto Rican's.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well I guess I meant in places where both Mexicans and Puerto Ricans can be found in large quantities.

Right, Mexicans tend to have very straight hair naturally, while Puerto Ricans tend to have wavy or curly hair. Even the lighter skinned Puerto Ricans I know obviously have kinky hair once it grows out longer then Caesar length.

I do know a girl from Guerrero, Mexico with curly hair, but I would still say her hair is straighter than the average Puerto Rican's.
So based on what you experienced you form a generalization ? Cut it out. Mexico does have a greater indegenous population but stop further generalizations. Its pointless and inaccurate. For example, my sister was married with an Ecuadorian of Mestizo descent. I thougt as a result all Ecuadorian looked like them. Then I went to Ecuador and met whites and black Ecuadorians. I know what your trying to say but just based on who you have met, stop it.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
So based on what you experienced you form a generalization ? Cut it out. Mexico does have a greater indegenous population but stop further generalizations. Its pointless and inaccurate. For example, my sister was married with an Ecuadorian of Mestizo descent. I thougt as a result all Ecuadorian looked like them. Then I went to Ecuador and met whites and black Ecuadorians. I know what your trying to say but just based on who you have met, stop it.
Yes, you can make generalizations. I've been to Ecuador too and the overwhelming majority of the people are mestizo or indigenous. I'm part Ecuadorian and my entire Ecuadorian family is mestizo.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM

23,371 posts, read 16,353,462 times
Quote:
Mexicans can be found all over the US, and ditto Puerto Ricanís and Dominicans. Anyone who has traveled knows the difference between Mexican food and Spanish Caribbean food. Anyone who has traveled knows the difference between Mexican drinks and Spanish Caribbean drinks. Donít assume everyone outside of a coastal city has never been outside the country or been to a big coastal country.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM

23,371 posts, read 16,353,462 times
Quote:
Yes, you can make generalizations. I've been to Ecuador too and the overwhelming majority of the people are mestizo or indigenous. I'm part Ecuadorian and my entire Ecuadorian family is mestizo.
Itís obvious the generalizations are different from country to country in Latin America as different places have demographics. You can find all races in all Latin Americaís countries, but the portions will be different. Out of over 125 or so million people Mexico has between one and two million Black people. The percentage of Black people is low. The percentage is very high in the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or