U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM
 
3,238 posts, read 1,153,834 times
Reputation: 1360

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
My roommate in college was Puerto Rican and Italian and Jewish and from NYC. He said PR and DR get along well but I do not know if they have a lot in common culturally I would have to ask a friend for that. Cuban culture is way different than both from what I have seen.
Why would you say that ? Cubans and Puerto Ricans in my experience are not that diferent. I grew up with Cubans in the Bronx. My sisters maiden of honor was Cuban and that family held out hope I would marry a niece of theirs. Cubans may be more likely to be Republicans and PRs Democrats but until recently that was not a divisive issue. We used to talk about the diferences and try to elaborate on them. Nothing that significant. I am sure people will begin to point out issues they feel are significant now.

 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 PM
 
23,387 posts, read 16,394,530 times
Reputation: 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Why get into a habit of generalizing ? Its not good. Deal with everyone as an individual. Try that approach its more interesting and bealthy. In your example I could ascertain in by accent more then appearance. Cause the way you described it, the mulatta could also have been Puerto Rican, Honduran, or a American black girl who speaks Spanish. Why generalize at all ? Thats just mental laziness.
Accents aren't always reliable. An American Black girl who lived in Mexico for 10 years may speak Spanish with a Mexican accent after all that time.

I have a friend who looks "mixed" and speaks with a Mexican accent. One of his grandparents is Mexican, and he stayed with them awhile in Mexico. Plus he has lots of Mexican friends on the west coast. He looks pretty Black.

Keep in mind a lot of people intermarry.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 PM
 
23,387 posts, read 16,394,530 times
Reputation: 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well unless I meet her then it doesn't really matter.
Of course it maybe seen as offensive to someone Black who is Ecuadorian in NYC if people automatically assume they are Dominican. Not every Black person who speaks Spanish is Dominican. Not even most.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 PM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,766,118 times
Reputation: 5979
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course it maybe seen as offensive to someone Black who is Ecuadorian in NYC if people automatically assume they are Dominican. Not every Black person who speaks Spanish is Dominican. Not even most.
Well I don't take the time to look at every person and assign them a specific nationality, but when I decide to guess I usually get it right or come close at least.

People assume things about me all the time and I don't really care because how are they supposed to know my background?
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 PM
 
11,470 posts, read 5,766,118 times
Reputation: 5979
Speaking of bodegas, there are even Mexican bodegas in Wakefield!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8939...thumbfov%3D100
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 PM
 
3,238 posts, read 1,153,834 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Accents aren't always reliable. An American Black girl who lived in Mexico for 10 years may speak Spanish with a Mexican accent after all that time.

I have a friend who looks "mixed" and speaks with a Mexican accent. One of his grandparents is Mexican, and he stayed with them awhile in Mexico. Plus he has lots of Mexican friends on the west coast. He looks pretty Black.

Keep in mind a lot of people intermarry.
I grew up speaking only English. I took Spanish for Native Speakers and had four terms. First term was with a Colombian. Second with a Dominicana, third with an Argentine, and Fourth with a Spaniard. My accent is not Puerto Rican or Neyorican but closer to a Dominican or a Colombian and I can conjugate with the vosotros. So yes accents are not always accurate. But more so then just appearance. So your right accents are not always accurate. So even less reason to generalise. Your young and I am old but I would listen to me cause if you dont generalise you will you run the risk of saying something offensive drops considerably. Take people as individuals and you will be viewed as more friendly and smarter by others.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 PM
 
23,387 posts, read 16,394,530 times
Reputation: 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well I don't take the time to look at every person and assign them a specific nationality, but when I decide to guess I usually get it right or come close at least.

People assume things about me all the time and I don't really care because how are they supposed to know my background?
Sometimes assumptions are based on the fact that people have WRONG information. Colombia in fact for example has a very large Black population. So does Panama. Or for that matter any nation in Western Europe has a large Black population.

It's just ridiculous to ASSume where someone is from. You have a mouth, if a conversation comes up then you should ASK.

It's pretty easy.

These days every race is pretty much in every country.

Similarly, I think it's wrong to ASSume all Latinos in the US live in LA or NYC. Lots of Latinos now lived in smaller towns (and rural areas if you count agricultural labor).

When you assume you know things, you LIMIT how much you learn.

A Black person speaking Spanish in the Bronx can be a tourists from Spain (there's a rapidly growing Black population here and throughout Europe). There are a lot of Asians and South Asians, so when I go to a deli I speak to Pakistanis in Spanish. In Italy you have lots of Asians, South Asians and Africans as well.

One percent of Haiti's population has moved to Chile. Lots of Dominicans have moved to Chile. Africans have moved to Argentina. Haitians have moved to Mexico. The world's population is getting increasingly diverse, and as noted, everyone is everywhere these days.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,016,300 times
Reputation: 2286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Why would you say that ? Cubans and Puerto Ricans in my experience are not that diferent. I grew up with Cubans in the Bronx. My sisters maiden of honor was Cuban and that family held out hope I would marry a niece of theirs. Cubans may be more likely to be Republicans and PRs Democrats but until recently that was not a divisive issue. We used to talk about the diferences and try to elaborate on them. Nothing that significant. I am sure people will begin to point out issues they feel are significant now.
Just my opinion from my observations. I actually like Cuban culture a lot.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:47 PM
 
3,238 posts, read 1,153,834 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Just my opinion from my observations. I actually like Cuban culture a lot.
And you can like Puerto Rican, Dominican and other cultures a great deal too. Not mutually exclusive.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM
 
3,238 posts, read 1,153,834 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well unless I meet her then it doesn't really matter.
Oh to be 22 again with what I know today. The fact is youth is wasted on the young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top