Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times

Advertisements

Growing up in NYC I did not observe this happening. Dominicans have always had a distinct "Sabor". To my knowledge Puerto Ricans are not as into Bachata nor do they like Platanos as much. This is why Dominicans in H.S. had the nick name "Platano" and your homie's mom was "Platana Madura"

Culturally I am not Dominican as I am a couple of generations removed but at the end of the day my broader problem is this: While other Caribbean countries do have gangs, the Spanish speaking countries have a bigger problem with it. Romanticizing gang culture which leads to stereotypes about the people. I have often been mistaken for Guayanese because I am not braggadocios or loud. If you were a Black Man that looked somewhat "blended" or mixed and had a calm attitude you were branded as either Bajan, Guayanese or possibly Trinidadian. Dominicans can look the same as Guayanese and the rest, I would say more so them than mistaken for PR. (PRs to me at least the ones that come here have always been lighter toned.) The attitude is often where people differentiate. The only primary ethnic difference in Guayana is you have East Indian instead of "West Indian" or Native American blood.

To me we are all Black to varying degrees yet there is this tribalism that supersedes what should be racial solidarity in a mostly White country. At the end of the day many of us originate from Igbo or Yoruba groups in Nigeria. Santeria being just one glaring example of this.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
Don't know what tf y'all talkin about... When I say LITTLE Brothers, I don't mean they are inferior to is, no group on earth is superior to another. Their our "brothers" becuz we got the same ancestry/culture, and their little not becuz of inferiority but becuz we been here much longer, we are more experienced in American society.

The first mass migration from Puerto Rico to the US was in the 1940s/50s . The first mass migration from the Dominican Republic was decades later , 1980s/90s. That's why we seem more assimilated on average, while they seem more traditional. We can in the midst of the Civil Rights era, where nobody else had our backs but the blacks hence why many Puerto Ricans assimilate into American black culture after being here for generations.
I assume you mean well. Yet, these type of discusions usually bring up really dumb and generalized comments. Lots of Dominicans, millions of them ( since the Island has how many more people then PR ) will look like what you perceive the common PR to look like and so what ? Puerto Rico has a sizeable population of people who you would think look Dominican, so what ? The nations are seperated by a little bit of water. I get it, I took a few courses of PR history and literature at Hunter when I was younger along with courses on the history of Carriibean and Latin American history. Yet, aside from our accents anyone of us can be from anywhere. Plus, the nations are all dynamic just like the US with populations continuously getting new migrants from all over the world. Im PR and I have been told I look just like someones relative from cou tries like Peru, Dom Rep, South Africa, Germany and in the US deep South. Where ever blacks and Europeans have mixed there will be folks who look like someone in PR or DR. Also about PR blazing a trail for Hispanic American rights well yes we were here in big numbers first. We did what we had to do for our progress that other groups benefit now from as we also benefited from the struggles of Afro Americans first and woman.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Many Dominicans have Jewish last names. The early Spanish colonialists were often Sephardic Jews. It's easy to identify which ones have Sephardic last times. There's a lot of academic work in the subject, but many Dominicans are Crypto-Jews. People with Jewish ancestors whose families no longer maintained the religion.
well the grandkids are jewish from my side , greek from my son's mothe (ex wife ) and Dominican from his wife .

Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think all of these Puerto Rican guys could pass for Dominican. The overlap between the two countries is pretty large. I would assume a very European looking person is more likely to be PR and a very African more likely to be DR, but aside from that it's often hard to guess from appearance alone.
There are some outright white Dominicans and there are outright Black Puerto Ricans. Don't assume.[/quote]

That's my point, there's a large overlap and you can find a wide range of phenotypes on both islands.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well the grandkids are jewish from my side , greek from my son's mothe (ex wife ) and Dominican from his wife .
My brother in law, is also Puerto Rican, comes from Sephardic ancestry. His surname is Denis. Spain was a nation with many diferent cutural groups Celts, Goths, Iberians, Romans, Moors, Jews, Phoenicians, and the Spaniards came to the New World and mixed some more with Native Americans and Africans and other Europeans. To propose that there is a typical look for anyone of our nations is as preposterous as saying what a Typical Canadian or US citizen should look like. Sorry OP but its silly

Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are some outright white Dominicans and there are outright Black Puerto Ricans. Don't assume.
That's my point, there's a large overlap and you can find a wide range of phenotypes on both islands.[/quote]

Forget both Islands ( Haiti included ) the whole world where mixing occurs. What Puerto Rican hasnt said Derek Jeter or the new British Dutchess Merkel did look a PR ?

Last edited by bxlover; 07-15-2018 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Shouldn't this be under Great Debates, Politics and Other Controversies or World section?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
Lol funny. So puerto ricans think they're superior to dominicans. But to mainstream America you're all just Mexican/Latino. Love each other please.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Lol funny. So puerto ricans think they're superior to dominicans. But to mainstream America you're all just Mexican/Latino. Love each other please.
I doubt they think that. I also think most Americans can actually tell Mexicans and Puerto Ricans apart

Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I doubt they think that. I also think most Americans can actually tell Mexicans and Puerto Ricans apart
Most Americans would also have at least basic understanding of cultural differences between Mexico and the Spanish Caribbean. Mexican food is very different from Spanish Caribbean good. Mexicans drink Tequilla and Corona. You have good RUM from the Spanish Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City