Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 03:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Then if you can present statistics and a study that explains this alleged disparity, please present it. If not there is absolutely no reason to mention in. Since you have no proof. The whole city is not based on what you see as a social worker.

Two years ago you did not know Harlem or Bedstut had gentrified. But then you yourself made a post expressing shock at the gentrification.

You also claimed most Puerto Rican’s were pure white, based on a couple of photos and a quick vacation you had in San Juan.
No it was based on my having met lots of puerto Ricans here in nyc

Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
In any case, how would that make me racist?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
How's this family tree work? Are Cubans the oldest sibling? Haiti the unloved step-sibling?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:18 PM

329 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think you're simply projecting a bias against Puerto Ricans. The Dominican Republic is also pretty poor and as they get lots of tourists, there's LOTS of prostitution.

There's a lot of poverty in the DR, and it's not like the Dominicans who move from the DR to NY are any better educated or more well off than Puerto Ricans.

Just as a lot of Puerto Ricans have issues with incarceration, the same is true for Dominicans. They often live in the same neighborhoods.

Of course a Dominican who doesn't have citizenship cannot get welfare, and Puerto Ricans as US citizens can.

But if you're working off the books without proper legal status and living in an overcrowded apartment, you're not more well off than someone on public assistance. Arguably the person on public assistance in some ways is better off, if they have their own apartment and medicaid.

And I'm not claiming all Puerto Ricans or Dominicans are poor, or that all Puerto Ricans are on welfare or that all Dominicans are illegal.

Just say the issues of poverty that both groups face are not that different from each other.
This is really stupid

Old 07-18-2018, 05:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Thanks
Im Puerto Rican and would just like to point out PR in the City do have large numbers of people on PA. Yet, so many have left the City and live in the suburbs and other states. I don't know what the issue is and why you compared PRs with Dominicans in relation to PA. My wife and I earn over six figures as do my two sisters, and my wifes brothers and sisters. To my knowledge no one has ever asked us that in a poll. Don't know if it would come up in a statistical sample as we were all born in NY. I dont know why that point became a issue of contention between anyone here. Why that type of comparison with Dominicans ?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 PM

To the OP there was time in PR history that the Spanish Colony of Santo Domingo was the prefered and more influential colony. Santo Domingo had a University when PR did not and residents of PR travelled to study in SD. Infact, there was a period when the Viceroy inMexico sent a subsidy to San Juan to maintain the presidio to help enduce colonist to the Island, and its defenses as it was important to commerce with Spain. PR owes thanks to Mexico, DR, and other Islands such as French speaking Islands in the rise of the Rum industry. I know you meant well as I told you before but its pretty demeaning to DRs. I know you meant well. I know you meant that PR were in NY and that made it easier for the Spanish speakers who came after. Yet, we owe a great deal to African Americans and woman in the civil rights struggle as well. Lets just say we are all brothers

Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
To the OP there was time in PR history that the Spanish Colony of Santo Domingo was the prefered and more influential colony. Santo Domingo had a University when PR did not and residents of PR travelled to study in SD. Infact, there was a period when the Viceroy inMexico sent a subsidy to San Juan to maintain the presidio to help enduce colonist to the Island, and its defenses as it was important to commerce with Spain. PR owes thanks to Mexico, DR, and other Islands such as French speaking Islands in the rise of the Rum industry. I know you meant well as I told you before but its pretty demeaning to DRs. I know you meant well. I know you meant that PR were in NY and that made it easier for the Spanish speakers who came after. Yet, we owe a great deal to African Americans and woman in the civil rights struggle as well. Lets just say we are all brothers
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bxlover again."

bxlover - if you want to Rep somebody on what they said, but you've Repped them too much already, you just post the message like I just did above wit they name, it's like a play on what happened.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bxlover again."

bxlover - if you want to Rep somebody on what they said, but you've Repped them too much already, you just post the message like I just did above wit they name, it's like a play on what happened.
Say what ??

Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Im Puerto Rican and would just like to point out PR in the City do have large numbers of people on PA. Yet, so many have left the City and live in the suburbs and other states. I don't know what the issue is and why you compared PRs with Dominicans in relation to PA. My wife and I earn over six figures as do my two sisters, and my wifes brothers and sisters. To my knowledge no one has ever asked us that in a poll. Don't know if it would come up in a statistical sample as we were all born in NY. I dont know why that point became a issue of contention between anyone here. Why that type of comparison with Dominicans ?
Don't you feel flattered that Shoshanarose is putting Puerto Ricans on a pedestal? According to her, Puerto Ricans are all fair skinned, with long hair... Basically white folks (don't mind me laughing as I'm typing this because it's funny quite frankly when I think back to the Puerto Rican friends I had growing up).

Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't you feel flattered that Shoshanarose is putting Puerto Ricans on a pedestal? According to her, Puerto Ricans are all fair skinned, with long hair... Basically white folks (don't mind me laughing as I'm typing this because it's funny quite frankly when I think back to the Puerto Rican friends I had growing up).
Don't know if she meant to say something bad. I don't know really know how to respond to you either because I think people tend to use the friends they have as a prototype of the ethnic group they represent. I myself am a PR of mixed European and African decent. So I might be representative of Puerto Ricans to people who know me. Yet, I was adopted by PR who are actually blonds with blue eyes. My causins and uncles and aunts are actually physically whites, decended from Galiceans and Canarians from Spain. I also have other causins who are dark. We are mixed. Your friend might have been a black PR, there many of them who are black. I don't know about a pedestal but my parents adopted me being half black. The Puerto Ricans I know are humble generous people even if very poor. I dont know bro, if that was a good answer or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City