Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,841,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
People have a tendency to generalize. I have a PR friend and they look like X. Thus all PR must look like X. It just doesnt work like that. Its a evolutionary legacy for human's to generalize. But we should limit it as much as we can. I just saw Sicario 2 with PR Benecio Del Toro by the way, good film.
Not an evolutionary legacy. It's simply the talk of low IQ people. Anyone who uses their brain can understand that having one Chinese friend does not mean their friend represents the entire nation of China. Anyone who has read a book can realize China is a huge country with many different regions and languages.

It also shows that someone that simplistic has almost no interactions with people outside their group, since they are basing everything on their one "friend". Or in some cases, more than "one" friend.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Talk about "racist"?
Why is being white "on a pedestal"?

White is not better or worse than black.
He revealed his true colors here...

Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Even so, that doesn't make her racist. You throw that word around far too often.
Just makes you sound ignorant.
You’re just super defensive because you know it applies to you.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,427,024 times
Quote:
In any case, how would that make me racist?
Weren’t you the same person who was reporting people left and right because they were making statements against your ethnicity?

Now you make demeaning comments against Puerto Ricans based on experiences?

And by the way a quarter of all Puerto Ricans in the US are making 75k a year, almost the same as the national average of 35 percent.

Many of us are doing quite well.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:45 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,570,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Weren’t you the same person who was reporting people left and right because they were making statements against your ethnicity?

Now you make demeaning comments against Puerto Ricans based on experiences?

And by the way a quarter of all Puerto Ricans in the US are making 75k a year, almost the same as the national average of 35 percent.

Many of us are doing quite well.
I actually have never reported anyone for their comments.
I did speak up on the forum when I felt comments were racist, however.

And I'm glad that you are doing well! Honestly.

Maybe it's that in NYC, those Puerto Ricans who have done well socioeconomically have moved out of NYC into the suburbs, and it's more poor Puerto Ricans in NYC itself? I don't know. I only know my own experiences.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,427,024 times
Quote:

Maybe it's that in NYC, those Puerto Ricans who have done well socioeconomically have moved out of NYC into the suburbs, and it's more poor Puerto Ricans in NYC itself? I don't know. I only know my own experiences.
Yes you’re right. Many Puerto Ricans who do well don’t live in nyc but live in Florida as well as the suburbs in the tri state area.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,806,150 times
whats the best spots for good Dominican and PR food ? what is the staple dish?
any good street food i can just swing by on my bike to get in manhattan ?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_flight

This is about Blacks, but it could be about Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as well. Minorities who moved up socioeconomically FLED places like the Bronx, Upper Manhattan, bad parts of Brooklyn and Queens to escape crime, underperforming public schools, poor services, etc. Lots of Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and Dominicans (ditto for Colombians) moved to the suburbs in the 80s and 90s or to wherever in the South (say Florida, Georgia, or Texas specifically).

Obviously people still on public assistance can't move to places where people have houses and drive cars, etc.

There's a lot written on this.

Inner cities, after you had white flight and urban disinvestment, were further brought down when the professional class of minorities FLED for the above reasons. Neighborhoods only left with super poor people tend to produce only super poor people. In that since gentrification of these neighborhoods (so that it's not all public assistance living people) is probably for the best as residents are forced to interact with people clearly not on public assistance and as they are forced to make more of an effort due to increased prices).

The Fair Housing laws had an effect to. Pre civil rights era minorities could be legally denied housing due to race. After the fair housing laws were enforced, people were able to leave "bad" neighborhoods if they could afford to do so, and many did so.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Yes you’re right. Many Puerto Ricans who do well don’t live in nyc but live in Florida as well as the suburbs in the tri state area.
Puerto Ricans spread out a lot more than people give credit for. There are a decent number of Puerto Ricans in Texas and California now.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,575,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Puerto Ricans spread out a lot more than people give credit for. There are a decent number of Puerto Ricans in Texas and California now.
And Ohio, New England, Arizona. I have cousins who while serving in the Army just stayed in Germany with their German wives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City