Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:03 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times

Advertisements

There are more white Puerto Ricans than Dominicans (although there is a small minority of white Dominicans)

Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There are more white Puerto Ricans than Dominicans (although there is a small minority of white Dominicans)
Yes. That is very true. And among mixed race people, the percentage of European tends to be higher among Puerto Ricans than Dominicans. Puerto Rico simply had more European settlers than did the DR (as an overall percentage).

Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Lmao@nappier hair and rounder nostrils... ¡Arréglate ese pelo!
Jajajajajajaja. Eres loco tio!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:08 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And non bigots can still tell the difference between a Black person and a Native person. Or a white person.

It’s silly to try to deny differences in origin between Latin American nations. Get mad, don’t care, etc. those differences aren’t going anywhere and everyone can see them.
Thats why your so tedious. Your argueing something I am no longer discussing, and a point I never made. That's why I appreciate you not responding to me any thing I post any longer. You overstate what someone else said so you can launch into a argument you want to make. You always want to argue a point into oblivion. Perhaps your not aware how pointless that is as well as how alienating. Your a social worker ? Must be great fun at meetings with your peers ?? What was gained ?

Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Thats why your so tedious. Your argueing something I am no longer discussing, and a point I never made. That's why I appreciate you not responding to me any thing I post any longer. You overstate what someone else said so you can launch into a argument you want to make. You always want to argue a point into oblivion. Perhaps your not aware how pointless that is as well as how alienating. Your a social worker ? Must be great fun at meetings with your peers ?? What was gained ?
I will respond to which post I please within the TOS of this website.

I'm not your personal friend, I will not be your personal friend, and that was never my intention or my goal.

If you're getting this upset over people saying that Dominicans GENERALLY are Blacker than Puerto Ricans and Dominicans GENERALLY look very different from Mexicans, you have issues you need to address outside of this forum. They are neither my problem nor concern. But yes, different Latino groups are pretty different from each other, and that is not racist nor is an attack against any Latino group.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Yes. That is very true. And among mixed race people, the percentage of European tends to be higher among Puerto Ricans than Dominicans. Puerto Rico simply had more European settlers than did the DR (as an overall percentage).
Well that's because PR purposely attempted and succeeded in whitening their population. They sterilized mulatto and black PR women so they wouldn't be able to reproduce and due to the "cedula de gracias" brought over 400,000 + (between PR and Cuba) white european settlers.

DR on the other hand, has had a constant flow of Haitians for their entire history. In fact, I know many "Dominicans" who are straight Haitians but were born and raised in DR, and thus identify with DR and speak only Spanish. You would see this "Dominican" and say "Oh, Dominicans are so black etc etc" when in actuality, this person is not an accurate representation of Dominican phenotype, instead they represent what a Haitian looks like. Anyways, in additional to all of this, DR experienced White flight due to the Haitian invasion, and also many White Dominican scholars were killed when Haiti took over. Trujillo tried to reverse this "blackening" process that was going on in DR by taking in Jewish Refugees escaping the Holocaust, but this failed because it was not a large enough number of them coming over and also these jews simply used DR as a stepping stone to immigrate to the US, so they didn't intermingle with Dominicans or started families etc etc.

So to summarize, I would expect PR to be whiter than DR due to all these circumstances. If you were to look at a census, pre cedulas of gracias/sterilization PR and pre Haitian invasion DR, their demographics were pretty similar, and DR may have been whiter, if I recall correctly.

https://www.cwluherstory.org/health/...men-sterilized

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...Graces_of_1815

Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Well that's because PR purposely attempted and succeeded in whitening their population. They sterilized mulatto and black PR women so they wouldn't be able to reproduce and due to the "cedula de gracias" brought over 400,000 + (between PR and Cuba) white european settlers.

DR on the other hand, has had a constant flow of Haitians for their entire history. In fact, I know many "Dominicans" who are straight Haitians but were born and raised in DR, and thus identify with DR and speak only Spanish. You would see this "Dominican" and say "Oh, Dominicans are so black etc etc" when in actuality, this person is not an accurate representation of Dominican phenotype, instead they represent what a Haitian looks like. Anyways, in additional to all of this, DR experienced White flight due to the Haitian invasion, and also many White Dominican scholars were killed when Haiti took over. Trujillo tried to reverse this "blackening" process that was going on in DR by taking in Jewish Refugees escaping the Holocaust, but this failed because it was not a large enough number of them coming over and also these jews simply used DR as a stepping stone to immigrate to the US, so they didn't intermingle with Dominicans or started families etc etc.

So to summarize, I would expect PR to be whiter than DR due to all these circumstances. If you were to look at a census, pre cedulas of gracias/sterilization PR and pre Haitian invasion DR, their demographics were pretty similar, and DR may have been whiter, if I recall correctly.

Since Spanish colonialism there was always a heavy Black presence in the DR. Via the African slavery trade they were brought there to grow sugar cane. The French managed to ultimately take on third of the island, while the Spanish kept two thirds. Dominicans are Spanish speaking Haitians. Haitians are Creole a d French speaking Dominicans. No real difference.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:

So you're saying black charcoal Dominicans like David "Big Papi" Ortiz, José Reyes from the Mets and all of the other clearly black Dominicans like Pedro Martínez that play or played baseball are just wannabe Haitians? LMAO When all else fails, just call them Haitians!! Dominicans don't all look like Albert Pujols or Manny Ramírez. I think that's what Dominicans like to portray as being the stereotypical Dominican, but I've seen plenty of dark skinned ones. Hell one of my roommates in college was Dominican. Had the complexion of Manny Ramírez, but his father who I would meet later stated that they were black, which I found interesting because both my roommate and his brother were strictly into white women (blanquitas). Not even Latinas, and certainly not morenas. LOL They were "mejorando la raza" as the saying goes or "marrying up" as we say in English, but translating it literally it's "bettering the race" which is hilarious. Truth be told, various groups do it though.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:

That would have been Spain, not PR setting policy during the Cedula de gracias. PR received a large influx of white settlers from South America after the wars of independence, by loyalists leaving former Spanish colonies. Also Spaniards after their civil war, but also white US soldiers and other European migrants. Yet, blacks, slaves from other Islands, English, French, Dutch Islands were encouraged to come to the colony. Spain promised their emancipation if they could make it to the Island. Many blacks arrived in PR seeking their freedom and contributred greatly in PRs rum industry.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Quote:
Completely not true. Many Dominicans are outright Black and simply cannot be confused with Mexicans, PERIOD.

Though many Cubans on the island of Cuba are Black, the first huge wave of Cubans coming to America were white. Black Cubans came later. No one is confusing a white or a Black Cuban with a Mexican.

Argentines are very European, and do not look like Mexicans either.

I can go one, but you don't have to be familiar with Latin America to notice huge racial differences or racial demographics.
Would you consider yourself a "typical" American? I wouldn't consider you a typical American. Actually, I wouldn't consider most of us who live/have lived in NYC (the city of immigrants) as typical Americans because we've been exposed to people from other countries and parts of the world that the typical American has not. Not only that, but as on C-D, we're mostly well-traveled posters (although my travels are 90% domestic) and that has broaden our experiences and viewpoints.

Said that to say that you can't use your knowledge as a yard stick on how the typical Americans view other people groups and other countries. Unless they're immigrants, the typical American is very narrow in perspective and experience with any other "Americans" beyond Blacks and Whites. All Spanish speaking people are "Mexican" to them, I don't care how the Spanish speaking person looks. The typical American cannot tell Spanish-speaking apart so to say that Cubans look different from Hondurans means nothing nor to say that Mexicans look nothing like Dominicans. All that is lost on the typical American. How often are you in the south or midwest interacting people? I'm there all the time. These are large swaths of the country.

Further, to typical Americans when they speak among each other:
All Asians are either Chinese/Japanese, take your pick. All Native Americans/Indigenous persons are "Indians" as in The Lone Ranger type of Indians. All Europeans are "White people" with the same priviledges afforded to American Whites. All persons from the Middle-East are Muslims (which means potential terrorists to them).
All non-African American Black people are "AFricans" and this is said with the expectation that the African person until coming to the US lived in a tribal hut among jungle animals, wore tribal clothing, hunted for their meals, walked everywhere, and have never seen a car, house, or TV before coming here. Any group the typical American can't identify, they call "foreigners" and not in the most friendly tone of voice. Strange but true they also include the above mentioned Asians group in the foreign category -- even if the Asian person was born and raised in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City