U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 PM

81 posts, read 36,369 times

Advertisements

I recently seen a thread titled "Why do Dominicans copy Ricans" , and I must say that's stupid. They are basically our little brothers. Yes, we been in the US longer and had time to Americanized n assimilate, we been here longer and faced actual racism during the Civil Rights era, we have established clout on the eastcoast. But unlike most other groups in yhe world, Dominicans have the same ancestry as us, both groups are primarily "mulatto/triracial" (Spanish, West African, Taino), and becuz we have the same ancestry (and roughly the same amount of it) we have very similar cultures. These are our little brothers, they are allowed to copy big bro. 🇵🇷🇩🇴👬

Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 PM

1,076 posts, read 507,324 times
Agree with you except Dominicans have more African blood.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM

81 posts, read 36,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Agree with you except Dominicans have more African blood.
Slightly more, not noticeable.. the 2 groups are identical

Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 PM

478 posts, read 176,987 times
Disagree but it is very noticeable. That's not a bad thing but it is what it is.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:35 PM

11,470 posts, read 5,717,926 times
I do think they look pretty similar. Dominicans might have more black blood on average, but most members of both groups could easily pass as the reverse

Old 07-14-2018, 01:57 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,732,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I do think they look pretty similar. Dominicans might have more black blood on average, but most members of both groups could easily pass as the reverse
I can pretty easily identify someone who is Dominican and not confuse them as being Puerto Rican. I had a long term relationship with a Dominican woman and she did NOT like when someone thought she was Puerto Rican.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I can pretty easily identify someone who is Dominican and not confuse them as being Puerto Rican. I had a long term relationship with a Dominican woman and she did NOT like when someone thought she was Puerto Rican.
I have a Dominican coworker. Looks like he can be Fat Joe's brother. I know many Puerto Ricans who look similar to A Rod. Rosie Perez could easily pass for Dominican.

I think at least 75% of them could pass for the other

Old 07-14-2018, 02:35 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,732,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have a Dominican coworker. Looks like he can be Fat Joe's brother. I know many Puerto Ricans who look similar to A Rod. Rosie Perez could easily pass for Dominican.

I think at least 75% of them could pass for the other
Maybe because I knew a lot of Dominicans I can identify them easier than most. I don't think Rosie Perez could ever pass for Dominican to anyone who knows Dominicans.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe because I knew a lot of Dominicans I can identify them easier than most. I don't think Rosie Perez could ever pass for Dominican to anyone who knows Dominicans.
Why not? They have a similar gene pool

Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 1,141,946 times
Quote:
Same type of thing can occur when a Puerto Rican is confused for a Dominican yet, neither reaction is enlightened. By and large there is a large overlap. Dominican Republic has lots more people then Puerto Rico. My ancestry DNA results indicate I have roughly 50 percent African the rest is of various European decent and I am Puerto Rican. I have blue eyes with curly hair. So when I have travelled to the DR and walk around the City Dominicans may address me as a country man. Puerto Rico I guess may have larger European pool of ancestry relative to the population then the DR. There are some diferences among Cuban, DR, and Puerto Rico when it comes to African and European populations percentage wise but among all Latin Americans you will have huge overlaps cause its the same pools of African and African and Native American decent. We are all share the DNA building blocks in diferent ratios perhaps population wise. Yet, Im glad I am usually accepted favorably by everyone in the Latin communities. Yet, I am usually accepted cause I am really polite and respectful and that opens more doors then what nationality they perceieve you as. I also find the OP''s contention that DR copy Puerto Ricans. Maye they did once not anymore. Puerto Ricans don't feel like a vibrant as it once was in the City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or