U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM

459 posts, read 165,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ironically that sounds like a term the alt right would make up, so not sure why activists embrace it
It does lol. It sounds like an exaggeratedly ebonic-ified (?) pronunciation of "white people." Like how alt-righters type "dindu" all the time.

Why can't we just TALK TO EACH OTHER as people? Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,654,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
It does lol. It sounds like an exaggeratedly ebonic-ified (?) pronunciation of "white people." Like how alt-righters type "dindu" all the time.

Why can't we just TALK TO EACH OTHER as people? Sigh.
Exactly!! When I first heard the term I thought "is this another "dindu" kind of thing?".

Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 PM

15 posts, read 3,917 times
Quote:
People of color is a commonly used term to refer to all nonwhites. It's not considered derogatory the way "colored people" is

That being said, I still don't like that term
I know what people of color is. I was just wondering why people in the New York area use terms like FOLK and sometimes Y'ALL. My policy is, if you live over 100 miles north of the mason-dixon line. Terms like Y'all and Folk shouldn't be used (My opinion ofc).

Anyways....this thread has turned into people talking about the term "wypipo". This isn't an alt-right term (although it is used mockingly in the alt right), it was created by black twitter to mock white people. Also you guys are missing the point of this absurd thread. The OP believes that Riverdale is racist towards PoC just because its a predominately White area. That's a problem because every area in the Bronx must be 90% Latino or Black in order to be considered diverse.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,654,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarc102 View Post
I know what people of color is. I was just wondering why people in the New York area use terms like FOLK and sometimes Y'ALL. My policy is, if you live over 100 miles north of the mason-dixon line. Terms like Y'all and Folk shouldn't be used (My opinion ofc).

Anyways....this thread has turned into people talking about the term "wypipo". This isn't an alt-right term (although it is used mockingly in the alt right), it was created by black twitter to mock white people. Also you guys are missing the point of this absurd thread. The OP believes that Riverdale is racist towards PoC just because its a predominately White area. That's a problem because every area in the Bronx must be 90% Latino or Black in order to be considered diverse.
I'm aware that it was created by black twitter, my point was that it sounds like a term the alt-right would create (like dindu).

I don't think anyone is implying Riverdale is racist because it's mostly white.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 3,917 times
Quote:
I'm aware that it was created by black twitter, my point was that it sounds like a term the alt-right would create (like dindu).

I don't think anyone is implying Riverdale is racist because it's mostly white.
I think you can argue that the OP is especially since his question is extremely loaded.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM

7,606 posts, read 2,762,029 times
If anything I think people in Riverdale are concerned about ghetto people moving in and them being lumped in with the general thought of the Bronx is one big hellhole stereotype. That said there have been racist incidents there, including landlords trying to not rent to black people.

Here are a few examples:

Riverdale man moving after racially-charged messages are vandalized on his car - NY Daily News

Rental race bias alleged Feds sue in Riverdale apt. case - NY Daily News

People in Riverdale may mainly be liberal, but there is indeed subtle racism there. Not as hostile as it used to be though. It has become more diverse there.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM

20,256 posts, read 26,633,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
Are Riverdalians against Gentiles and/or folk of color, even though they are overwhelming 'Liberal Democrats', or what?

Gentiles are allowed if they can prove circumcision.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:00 PM

18,454 posts, read 11,856,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarc102 View Post

Folk is commonly used in the south by both whites and blacks, has been so for ages.

That being said here in the north the word tends to limit itself to the AA community for most part, though it also can be heard from certain Latino-Hispanic persons as well. So much so that its use (or over use) in printed media is almost a sure indication writer is from that demographic.

A poster in another thread used "folk" in every other sentence or paragraph. When you look at things in whole it then becomes rather easy to make certain assumptions.

Am not saying this to *hate* or any such thing; but if you believe only myself makes such observations you would be wrong. This includes various persons charged with reading all sorts of matter as part of employment and other screening processes.

Whites have their own word or words; *super* comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or