Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Halo is the rage, we know the flavor is sos so but you can eat a whole pint at 280-360 calories

They achieve this with vegetable gums

Normally over $6 a pint Fairway recently had it on for sale for $3.99

Guar gum (also sometimes called gellan gum) is a common powdered product used to stabilize, emulsify and thicken the texture of certain foods and industrial products — such as bottled coconut or almond milk, yogurts, soups, fiber supplements, and body lotions. There are numerous uses for guar gum spanning several industries, and today it’s estimated that food-industry applications account for the vast majority (more than 70 percent) of the world’s supply of guar gum.

Considered to be a type of galactomannan, guar gum is produced in a similar manner to other natural seed gums that are created by milling the endosperm (seeds) of legumes or grains. While guar gum doesn’t necessarily provide many essential nutrients, it’s low in calories and high in fiber, which may help you feel fuller after eating. On the other hand, like other emulsifiers added to many processed foods, consuming guar gum may come with potential drawbacks, such as causing digestive issues and even triggering leaky gut reactions. It’s certainly not something you’d choose to purposefully consume a lot of, but in moderation it seems to be a better choice than other options.

There's also a supermarket brand of regular ice cream at Gristedes. Only a few traditional flavors available
La Salle is the name and $3.99 is printed on the label
They have been around a long time, the quality is fairly good, not Baskin Robbins crap
lol@Baskin Robbins... God I haven't had that "crap" since I was a teenager... Another brand that has really fallen off the truck is Breyers. I feel like growing up, they were a good brand and in fact as a kid I enjoyed their ice cream. I haven't had their stuff in years. Now I don't know what they're putting out, but I'm not sure if it's even actual ice cream. Some sort of "frozen dessert"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:00 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol@Baskin Robbins... God I haven't had that "crap" since I was a teenager... Another brand that has really fallen off the truck is Breyers. I feel like growing up, they were a good brand and in fact as a kid I enjoyed their ice cream. I haven't had their stuff in years. Now I don't know what they're putting out, but I'm not sure if it's even actual ice cream. Some sort of "frozen dessert"...
Okay, well if we're gonna go retro, Good Humor Toasted Almond.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
OMG... I had to look that one up! LMAO I DO remember those ice creams though. Looking back on it, I think it was the sugar high I was after. Now though, I don't think I'd touch that. Probably loaded with God knows what. That toasted almond though, boy was it good. Damn ice cream companies changing their recipes and ruining our childhood memories. lol

Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
OMG... I had to look that one up! LMAO I DO remember those ice creams though. Looking back on it, I think it was the sugar high I was after. Now though, I don't think I'd touch that. Probably loaded with God knows what. That toasted almond though, boy was it good. Damn ice cream companies changing their recipes and ruining our childhood memories. lol
. My dad did their advertising (back when the dinosaurs were still roaming the planet). We used to get an ice cream cake for Mother’s Day. Awesome.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
. My dad did their advertising (back when the dinosaurs were still roaming the planet). We used to get an ice cream cake for Mother’s Day. Awesome.
LMAO Do they still exist? I don't think I've seen their products anywhere.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
LMAO Do they still exist? I don't think I've seen their products anywhere.
I used to see their carts on the UWS once ina while. Took a pic of one of them. You can still get their ice cream at shop rite I think.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
The chipwish still one of best my local bodega use to have them!

Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Carvel’s Fudgie the Whale Is Also a Beer

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/fud...ptain-lawrence

Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Carvel’s Fudgie the Whale Is Also a Beer

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/fud...ptain-lawrence
I'm not fussy.
I'd eat Carvel, Breyers, Good Humor, Klondike, Baskins, Friendly's, even no brand/store brand ice cream by the spoonful as if my life depended on it.
Ice cream is ice cream. It's all yummy to me. And that's why I avoid them like the plague.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
And Eclair and Rocket and Strawberry Shortcake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: