U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM

1,784 posts, read 757,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Bedford Park is ok. It has its pockets, but Bronx Science is by the Jerome Reservoir, which tends to be a quiet part of the Bronx. There's also a big subway train yard a block or two over, so between the reservoir and some other barriers, it shields them from the "ghetto" element. I will say though that a lot of the good areas of the Bronx are shielded and have been historically because they are generally out of the way. Usually either hills (and the expense factor as in the case with Riverdale) has helped much of the Northwest Bronx stay safe. Woodlawn has the hills and the large cemetery along with Van Cortlandt Park to keep out the ghetto element. In other words, you have to make an effort to get to these neighborhoods to actually reach them as they are usually not near subways.

Something else that I've always wondered about why areas like Riverdale and Woodlawn have remained so safe... They don't have any housing projects and they have a high percentage of owners compared to most of the Bronx which it is mainly renters. That helps to keep the neighborhood stable because people who own have a vested interest in keeping the neighborhood safe and stable. The rental properties in Riverdale are expensive enough to keep out any ghetto element and with Woodlawn most rentals are word of mouth and don't go online, so in other words, you have to know someone in the neighborhood to get in there.
Ahhh...that explains it. Thanks! My mom's attorney lives in Riverdale (and the way he describes it you'd think he lived in Scarsdale) and I know a church friend of mine who grew up in Riverdale and she told me she used to get a lot of ribbing from her inlaws (who know nothing about the Bronx like me) because they just assumed all of the Bronx is hood.

And you're right. The "good parts" of the Bronx are inaccessible by public transit. It has this upper crust, suburban feel to it. You'd think you were in Connecticut or somewhere in Westchester County. I wasn't even aware I was in The Bronx. Thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 PM

7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ahhh...that explains it. Thanks for the info. My mom's attorney lives in Riverdale (and the way he describes it you'd think he lived in Scarsdale) and I know a church friend of mine who grew up in Riverdale and she told me she used to get a lot of ribbing from her inlaws (who know nothing about the Bronx like me) because they just assumed all of the Bronx is hood.

And you're right. The "good parts" of the Bronx are inaccessible by public transit. It has this upper crust, suburban feel to it. You'd think you were in Connecticut or somewhere in Westchester County. I wasn't even aware I was in The Bronx. Thanks again for the info.
Years ago we had a colleague who lived in Morris Park. I had never been to the Bronx before and quite frankly the idea of it freaked me out. We had some colleagues who lived in New Jersey as well. We were invited to a BBQ on a hot Sunday afternoon. Some of us took the BxM10 express bus there and he picked us up and drove us to his house. He lived very close to the Albert Einstein campus in what's called "Indian Village". We were shocked first off at how safe the neighborhood was but to have BBQ in the Bronx with birds chirping and no gun shots... After several phone calls, we finally convinced our colleague in New Jersey to drive there as well.

What the Bronx really needs is a face lift to the areas where you enter the Bronx because upon coming over the bridge from Manhattan you're on the expressway and you see the absolute WORST of the Bronx, and back then God was it HORRIBLE. I said Jesus Christ... I mean you felt like you were going through Beirut or some war torn area. They need to re-zone more of it because a lot of it is heavily industrial and run down.

When you approach Morris Park it's like another neighborhood entirely, completely different from the neighboring Van Nest, which looks quite frankly ghetto. Nice pastry shops, butcher stores. Very pleasant neighborhood. These are the areas of the Bronx that are tucked away, and unfortunately so because everyone sees the blight of the borough.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-15-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Ahhh...that explains it. Thanks! My mom's attorney lives in Riverdale (and the way he describes it you'd think he lived in Scarsdale) and I know a church friend of mine who grew up in Riverdale and she told me she used to get a lot of ribbing from her inlaws (who know nothing about the Bronx like me) because they just assumed all of the Bronx is hood.

Yes, another time I was in Morris Park a discussion came up about the Bronx. Someone commented that they lived in Riverdale, trying to state they too lived in the Bronx, but the people at the gathering were having none of it. One person said, here we say "the Bronx", there they say "Riverdale". I got a chuckle out of it for sure, but yes, for people who are not familiar with the Bronx, to live to Riverdale is to say you "made it", as it is really the only true upper class neighborhood in the Bronx aside from maybe Country Club. You don't live in the hood and thus want no association with the "ghetto" element of the Bronx. That's likely why people make fun of residents in Riverdale because they just want to be known as people who live in a safe good neighborhood instead of oh you live a nice neighborhood for the Bronx. lol

Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,199,837 times
Along with the University Heights photos that I had in the 1980s west bronx urban decay thread", here are some of University avenue in Highbrridge and Morris Heights.

W 165th and University
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02527_0014

Another on the same block

DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02527_0001

Near W 168th and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02528_0013

Near W 171st and University (boscobel pl)
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02537_0041

W 179th and University avenue
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02868_0129

Identifier: dof_2_02868_0129
Date: 1983-1988
Borough: 2 (Bronx)
Block: 2868
Lot: 129
Building Number: 1982
Street Name: DR MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BOULEVARD
Zip Code: 10453
LVD Frame: lvd_13_01970
Year Built: 1915
Lot Frontage: 112.09
Lot Depth: 94.06
Tax Class: 2) Apartments
Owner (In 1990): CITY OF NEW YORK
Between W 175th and W 176th and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02876_0100

Identifier: dof_2_02876_0100
Block: 2876
Lot: 100
Building Number: 1700
LVD Frame: lvd_13_02373
Year Built: 1911
Lot Frontage: 0.5
Lot Depth: 1
Near W 176th st and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02876_0095

Identifier: dof_2_02876_0095
Lot: 95
Building Number: 1658
LVD Frame: lvd_13_02356
Lot Frontage: 0.45
Owner (In 1990): BALAS RLTY CORP

Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 PM

It's actually pretty damn sad to see parts of New York City being in such a state. It's amazing to see what parts of University Heights look like now considering how much arson occurred and the fact that the neighborhood is still heavily poor. But you can easily tell the newer buildings from the older ones and they've done a good job overall of trying to fill those empty lots either with play grounds, stores or something that the community can use.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
What the Bronx really needs is a face lift to the areas where you enter the Bronx because upon coming over the bridge from Manhattan you're on the expressway and you see the absolute WORST of the Bronx, and back then God was it HORRIBLE. I said Jesus Christ... I mean you felt like you were going through Beirut or some war torn area. They need to re-zone more of it because a lot of it is heavily industrial and run down.

When you approach Morris Park it's like another neighborhood entirely, completely different from the neighboring Van Nest, which looks quite frankly ghetto. Nice pastry shops, butcher stores. Very pleasant neighborhood. This are the areas of the Bronx that are tucked away, and unfortunately so because everyone sees the blight of the borough.
Oh, I know. Whenever I'm in the Bronx, 95 percent of the time is to go see The Yankees. And I never once took the subway. It was always a car ride and the area around Yankee Stadium...let's just say getting to isn't or wasn't all that great. (Although, I've heard it's different now than say in the 90's. I've heard the area is gentrifying?). Driving around back then if you had the car windows open, we would get heckled at. (Not scary stuff, just stupid stuff). So, I just thought the whole Bronx was like that. And if you see old Yankee games on you tube, you can actually hear Howard Kosell (?) mentioning the fires that are happening all around the Bronx during the actual Yankee game.

Imagine my surprise when I had the opportunity to see other parts of the Bronx.

Last edited by Aeran; 07-15-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,104,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Along with the University Heights photos that I had in the 1980s west bronx urban decay thread", here are some of University avenue in Highbrridge and Morris Heights.

W 165th and University
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02527_0014

Another on the same block

DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02527_0001

Near W 168th and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02528_0013

DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02537_0041

W 179th and University avenue
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02868_0129

Identifier: dof_2_02868_0129
Block: 2868
Lot: 129
Building Number: 1982
LVD Frame: lvd_13_01970
Lot Frontage: 112.09
Lot Depth: 94.06
Between W 175th and W 176th and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02876_0100

Identifier: dof_2_02876_0100
Lot: 100
Building Number: 1700
LVD Frame: lvd_13_02373
Year Built: 1911
Lot Frontage: 0.5
Near W 176th st and University ave
DOF: Bronx 1980s Tax Photos: dof_2_02876_0095

Identifier: dof_2_02876_0095
Lot: 95
Building Number: 1658
LVD Frame: lvd_13_02356
Lot Frontage: 0.45
Owner (In 1990): BALAS RLTY CORP
Its a shame that area had some of the biggest apartments. We had a huge apartment on Grand Ave around 182 st.. I recall how my relatives would recall that apartments sheer size and comfort. My parents moved out as they sensed trouble coming and sure enough a few years later a former neighbor called to tell us the building was gone. My parents always said that neighborhood was the best they lived in before it fell to hell. They recalled being able to walk over to so many stores on Burnside or Fordham or Tremont. The 6 and D trains and buses all close by. My mother recalled having Greek, Jewish, African American, and Irish neighbors who all looked out for another. They lived there like 8 years and well that period was soon taken from them as it was for tens of thousands of people. What happened in the Bronx was horrible. Im surprised the City does not have a musuem to document what happened there and in Harlem and Brooklyn areas as well

Old 07-15-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. Whenever I'm in the Bronx, 95 percent of the time is to go see The Yankees. And I never once took the subway. It was always a car ride and the area around Yankee Stadium...let's just say getting to isn't or wasn't all that great. (Although, I've heard it's different now than say in the 90's. I've heard the area is gentrifying?). Driving around back then if you had the car windows open, we would get heckled at. (Not scary stuff, just stupid stuff). So, I just thought the whole Bronx was like that. And if you see old Yankee games on you tube, you can actually hear Howard Kosell (?) mentioning the fires that are happening around the Bronx during the actual Yankee game.

Imagine my surprise when I had the opportunity to see other parts of the Bronx.
The area by Yankee Stadium has a ways to go. I have to say that the Yankees really failed to invest in the community when they built the new stadium. Some parts and this and that, but they could've gone much further. The area is not too far from the Grand Concourse, and the borough president along with NYC has been PUMPING money into that general area to try to build it up again. There is a HEAVY police presence now during Yankee games. I remember when I went there by subway when the place opened. All of us on the train got the hell off and practically ran to the stadium. I was driven back to Manhattan by my friend, but the area still has a ways to go.

The courthouses which is near to the stadium is safe, and the Concourse itself is generally fine with the heavy police presence, but the side streets are still iffy (drug dealing is still very evident) and there are TONS of Section 8 apartment and housing projects that aren't going anywhere. There has been some improvements for sure, but it's more like the area is more working class now versus being completely ghetto in the past. I still wouldn't venture too far though, but it is definitely safer than before. I've even seen Yankees fans venturing about on game nights. The immediate area stinks in terms of food though. Too many grease spots IMO, but the Metro-North station is nice and they re-did the subway stations at that stop. The City is also building a lot of affordable units. The Concourse has seen a spike in rents for sure, and some people from Manhattan have been moving there since it so close to Manhattan. You will see some whites on the subway now which was only possible during game nights, so yes, the area is changing, but slowly, and mainly the Concourse itself in parts. The Concourse has lots of historic buildings that survived the arson, so if they are gutted on the inside, they can be brought back to their original state.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, another time I was in Morris Park a discussion came up about the Bronx. Someone commented that they lived in Riverdale, trying to state they too lived in the Bronx, but the people at the gathering were having none of it. One person said, here we say "the Bronx", there they say "Riverdale".
Except my church friend. She would deliberately say she grew up in The Bronx & would only clarify that she lived in Riverdale when asked for specifics. She got a kick out of seeing their reactions/comments i.e. the reactions from her inlaws. Taught me a lesson. Never sprout off about something you don't really know anything about because you'll just **** people off and come across as foolish.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Its a shame that area had some of the biggest apartments. We had a huge apartment on Grand Ave around 182 st.. I recall how my relatives would recall that apartments sheer size and comfort. My parents moved out as they sensed trouble coming and sure enough a few years later a former neighbor called to tell us the building was gone. My parents always said that neighborhood was the best they lived in before it fell to hell. They recalled being able to walk over to so many stores on Burnside or Fordham or Tremont. The 6 and D trains and buses all close by. My mother recalled having Greek, Jewish, African American, and Irish neighbors who all looked out for another. They lived there like 8 years and well that period was soon taken from them as it was for tens of thousands of people. What happened in the Bronx was horrible. Im surprised the City does not have a musuem to document what happened there and in Harlem and Brooklyn areas as well
Hell Tremont is still one hell hole. I have a friend who lives there. He actually has a nice apartment, but I am hesitant to visit him because the neighborhood is just creepy. He's a petite little guy. He says he never has had an issue in the area and I didn't either, but that is one area I did NOT feel at all comfortable walking around. I think Tremont has to be one of the WORST neighborhoods in all of the Bronx. I mean absolutely ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or