U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM

64,629 posts, read 66,129,695 times

Advertisements

how long is a rope ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,104,294 times
https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...-52-week-money

Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
I am starting to save this later half of the year for a potential move to NYC. I will be looking for a job In IT and finding a place to live with roommates for cheaper rent. Right now my goal is $5000. Is that rebought I live in a place like bushwick, or should I look elsewhere
It's not enough if you're not coming with a job lined up. Also keep in mind, unless it's a short-term sublet, people may not be willing to rent to someone who doesn't have employment.

When moving in, you will incur a lot of expenses, first month, last month and security deposit (3*monthly rent) and then you'll need money to get furnishings like a bed, etc. And after all that, the first month is going to pass rather quickly and suddenly you'll need that second month's rent. I guess it shouldn't be a problem if you have a job by that point, but if you don't, money will be very tight very fast.

I'm sure people do come with less than $5000 but I think $10,000 would be a better goal.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 69,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Any student debt or long term debt?
I have a student loan.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Thanks this looks helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's not enough if you're not coming with a job lined up. Also keep in mind, unless it's a short-term sublet, people may not be willing to rent to someone who doesn't have employment.

When moving in, you will incur a lot of expenses, first month, last month and security deposit (3*monthly rent) and then you'll need money to get furnishings like a bed, etc. And after all that, the first month is going to pass rather quickly and suddenly you'll need that second month's rent. I guess it shouldn't be a problem if you have a job by that point, but if you don't, money will be very tight very fast.

I'm sure people do come with less than $5000 but I think $10,000 would be a better goal.
My plan is to move with some friends and hopefully set up some interviews. Because you are right some ppl may not want me to move in without having to job, so I hope that doesn’t come to that. My last option is to live with my dad in jersey and commute nyc for finding a job and saving up more.

I really need this to happen, I have always felt like I belonged in that city, but it’s so hard to accomplish it. I live in Atlanta and I have been dreading loving hear, to many band memories and I just don’t feel like I belong here for years now.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 AM

20,128 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Thanks this looks helpful!

My plan is to move with some friends and hopefully set up some interviews. Because you are right some ppl may not want me to move in without having to job, so I hope that doesnít come to that. My last option is to live with my dad in jersey and commute nyc for finding a job and saving up more.
How far away does your dad live in Jersey? If itís still accessible by train and your dadís down for it, then I think thatís probably a very prudent option.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How far away does your dad live in Jersey? If it’s still accessible by train and your dad’s down for it, then I think that’s probably a very prudent option.
He lives close to jersey city I think. Just don’t want to live with parents again at 29 lol

Old 07-16-2018, 01:57 PM

1,784 posts, read 757,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How far away does your dad live in Jersey? If it’s still accessible by train and your dad’s down for it, then I think that’s probably a very prudent option.
Yeah. I second that. If you get along with your dad and he's fine with you moving in, I think that's a better plan. Focus first on landing a job and then worry about finding a place. And like what others have already said, landlords will be very, very reluctant to rent to you if you're currently unemployed unless someone co-signs on it whose finances are more stable.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 PM

996 posts, read 943,833 times
Look for apts with roommates in North Central Brooklyn (BedStuy or Crown Heights/Weeksville) along the A/C (Fulton Ave) or 3/4 (Eastern Parkway) subway lines. Hip people get healthy in Prospect Park, then land at bars/restaurants on Franklin Ave or Nostrand. Hip meaning: a mixture of disobedient Hassidic youth, African-American, Carribbean, and students and young singles fleeing Sometown, Midwest.
---------------------------------
ETA: I just read you've got a dad in New Jersey. That could be the best way to get started, if you get along and not tooo far out geographically. Get advice from here from NJ people on what actually works; for example, don't assume you can park near the NJ Path trains, unless they say that's actually affordable..

Focus on getting a job in NYC. That's the key to the rest of what you want.

Once you know where your job is, you can pick a neighborhood that commutes well to the job. While you might find roommates who'll rent to you as a sublet by-the-month before you're fully employed ($800- lK per month for bedroom), that'll eat through your savings pretty fast. Get a toehold by staying free with Dad until you don't have to. Good luck. Maybe take him out to a dinner or buy real groceries, so he doesn't get tired of having you for "free." Watch Frasier re-runs.

Plenty of young people here live with their parents for reasons of housing costs, so it's not the killer social embarassment as you find in other cities. It's more understood here. What might be hard is to commute in from NJ for the social life you imagine, but after a job interview, you can find someplace to hang before returning home to NJ. Looking for work is very tiresome/stressful, so it could be good to go home to sleep in a sane, boring Dad-house until you're employed. It'll give you longer to set yourself up than paying for roommates in the city. Just to get started in this Metro area, and not forever.

Make some compromises and a longterm plan, and you'll get all the pieces and parts you seek. It might take 6 months to a year here, but you'll be on solid ground.

You've saved well, but need to stretch it out. I hope your Dad misses you now and would enjoy having you land with him for awhile, to make a real life transition. Otherwise it might end up being a hip, but revolving door, short experience. Depends what you want.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 07-16-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 04:15 PM

20,128 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
He lives close to jersey city I think. Just don’t want to live with parents again at 29 lol
Think of it as having a leg up on other people who want to move to the city. Jersey City is great for commuting to the city to look for jobs and to actually get to your job for a bit. If you and your family is fine with this then you've got a pretty good sequence with:

- look for jobs and go to interviews

- get the job and get a few paystubs (save some and treat the family to some dinners)

- use the job location and the paystubs to get an apartment

This way you don't have to be worrying about everything at once and landlords are a lot more likely to rent to someone with a job. Doesn't mean you won't have to or shouldn't hustle a bit, but it's a good sequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or