U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 PM

14,878 posts, read 17,443,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's really funny imo, didn't think we had so many people from France here.
Manhattan, Montreal, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires are full of French ex pats who can't find work in France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:04 PM

7,589 posts, read 2,707,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's really funny imo, didn't think we had so many people from France here.
There are plenty on the UES. Just look at all of the French businesses along Lexington from the 70s on down. They are there, trust me. Outside of Manhattan, Larchmont in Westchester has a large French population.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 PM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Carroll Gardens and North Williamsburg also have sizable French communities. Carroll Gardens especially seems to have a large number of French families which first spearheaded the dual language curriculum
in the neighborhood schools which in turn attracted even more French as families. It was french as **** in the bars, restaurants, and streets there today.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Carroll Gardens and North Williamsburg also have sizable French communities. Carroll Gardens especially seems to have a large number of French families which first spearheaded the dual language curriculum
in the neighborhood schools which in turn attracted even more French as families. It was french as **** in the bars, restaurants, and streets there today.
North Williamsburg must be fairly recent. Carroll Gardens I could see and probably Boerum Hill too. I knew some of them lived in Brooklyn, but I wasn't sure where exactly. They don't live in slummy areas though. Only the best. I'm not joking when I say that either. They seem to have standards.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,132,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
North Williamsburg must be fairly recent. Carroll Gardens I could see and probably Boerum Hill too. I knew some of them lived in Brooklyn, but I wasn't sure where exactly. They don't live in slummy areas though. Only the best. I'm not joking when I say that either. They seem to have standards.

How do you afford it? DO they all escape France with their family wealth? I am serious. I work hard and make way above NYC average but I cannot afford Carrol Gardens for the amount of space that I need. I have to make do living in the half-slummy flushing hood.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 PM

1,791 posts, read 762,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Really? I suspect nothing to compare with the drunken Irish (and non-Irish) on St. Patrick's.
Yeah. So, true. That and the Puerto Rican Day parade.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
How do you afford it? DO they all escape France with their family wealth? I am serious. I work hard and make way above NYC average but I cannot afford Carrol Gardens for the amount of space that I need. I have to make do living in the half-slummy flushing hood.
The ones that can get good jobs come over and work for the banks like Natixis or some other company in a field that pays well. Lots of French folks working there where they can get a good salary and still live a European lifestyle. Natixis is a mid-sized bank, but they still offer a good salary and benefits, particularly from someone moving up the ladder. You can certainly earn six figures there to afford you to live in a place like Carroll Gardens. There are also some that are lawyers or in other fields here that pay well.

If you work for a French company, you will still get vacation as if you were living in Europe, so they will take 3 weeks off at a time here. L'Orťal is another company with lots of French people. If you can't make it, well you can always go back to France where there are good benefits. I know several French people did just that. One of them won a lottery to live in Manhattan. The area escapes me but it was a nice part of the city. Her salary wasn't that great though, so after a while she said the hell with it and moved back to France.

One of my colleagues worked at Xerox for a number of years where he made a killing. When he retired since he was a French citizen he was able to get a pension from France AND social security here while still working part-time. Understand that the French already have a high standard of living, so when they come here it's because they feel they can make good money here and usually are coming from families that have money. Living in places like Paris is not cheap at all, so when you consider that they are coming from such places, they're basically just replacing one expensive city for another. The ones coming usually are coming from families with money and are educated, and when they settle here they enroll their kids in bilingual French schools most of the time. They are very anal about maintaining their language and culture.

I think of Larchmont because it is very expensive and has a sizable French population with numerous French schools for the children.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-15-2018 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A decent number of them work for the US headquarters of French multinational companies. Also know someone who works for the UN and gets paid a decent, but not absurd amount—his wife works corporate though and really lugs in that money. Also know several French and Belgian people working in tech.

And France isn’t like China where oodles of people are trying to get out—it’s usually some kind of massive upside with their career or it’s some kind of specific cultural attraction that brings someone here, so that naturally self-selects towards people with some means.

Do you make at least six figures? Or is the amount of space you need a lot?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-15-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
A decent number of them work for the US headquarters of French multinational companies. Also know someone who works for the UN and gets paid a decent, but not absurd amount—his wife works corporate though and really lugs in that money. Also know several French and Belgian people working in tech.

And France isn’t like China where oodles of people are trying to get out—it’s usually some kind of massive upside with their career or it’s some kind of specific cultural attraction that brings someone here, so that naturally self-selects towards people with some means.

Do you make at least six figures?
Yes this is exactly the deal. The French that are coming here are doing so to advance their career and already have money. France is one of the economic powerhouses in the EU along with Germany, so as you said, the French coming here generally are coming from families with the means to move and work elsewhere in another expensive city. Something else that helps them... Many are bilingual, which bodes well for them in areas like finance or international settings where speaking various languages with a background in international business or otherwise allows them to bring in the big bucks.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,132,410 times
Quote:
A decent number of them work for the US headquarters of French multinational companies. Also know someone who works for the UN and gets paid a decent, but not absurd amountóhis wife works corporate though and really lugs in that money. Also know several French and Belgian people working in tech.

And France isnít like China where oodles of people are trying to get outóitís usually some kind of massive upside with their career or itís some kind of specific cultural attraction that brings someone here, so that naturally self-selects towards people with some means.

Do you make at least six figures? Or is the amount of space you need a lot?

So most of them are the french version of trust fund transplants who spend every penny from their job and family allowances. I probably make more than the average of those spoiled french trust fund adults make here. But I need space for my kids and their activities besides banking away a good portion of my income for retirement, which they don't need to worry about at least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or