U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:32 PM

3,485 posts, read 2,523,860 times

Advertisements

build the wall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
build the wall!
Oh là là!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Maison Kayser is basically targeting the Le Pain Quotidien customers, which is not French as many seem to think - they're Belgian from Bruxelles (Brussels). I remember when one of the first Le Pain Quotidien stores opened by Bryant Park. Since then there have been many more, and if you notice, wherever there's a LPQ there's usually a Maison Kayser nearby. Maison Kayser has been expanding rapidly. I've only eaten at two of their locations, and quite frankly I don't find their coffee that great, and the food seems to be prepared in advance. I had breakfast one Saturday morning at the Bryant Park location (technically closer to 5th Avenue) and while everything tasted fine, I wasn't blown away. Le Pain Quotidien serves food of better quality that seems to generally be made on the spot. Better coffee too as long as you're not ordering anything that requires a real barista. The one thing that keeps me going back to Maison Kayser is their éclairs. They're really tasty and believe me, I've had horrible ones in the past so I know good ones. The hilarious part was that I was taken to the place that served horrible éclairs by a colleague from France. He kept apologizing profusely because we both agreed that the food was pretty pathetic. Chez Laurence is the name of the place, which is closed (as it should be).

Oh I don't know..

Maison Kayser's demographics seem to favor same who would have gone to various other French pastry or bakeries.

OTOH Le Pain de Quotidien (loosely translated into "our daily bread) is more about communal tables, breads and simple meals. While they do sell pastries and other baked goods wouldn't say they are same as Eric Kayser.

Le Pain Quotidien East 53rd St., NYC - Bakery & Communal Table

Also it does not follow the to are chasing each other all over NYC.

There is a Maison Kayser on Third and 74th with not a LPQ in sight. Well not unless you count the one on Second and 77th.

Ditto Maison Kayser just opened a new store at Seventh Avenue and 29th, again not a LPQ in sight IIRC.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know..

Maison Kayser's demographics seem to favor same who would have gone to various other French pastry or bakeries.

OTOH Le Pain de Quotidien (loosely translated into "our daily bread) is more about communal tables, breads and simple meals. While they do sell pastries and other baked goods wouldn't say they are same as Eric Kayser.

Le Pain Quotidien East 53rd St., NYC - Bakery & Communal Table

Also it does not follow the to are chasing each other all over NYC.

There is a Maison Kayser on Third and 74th with not a LPQ in sight. Well not unless you count the one on Second and 77th.

Ditto Maison Kayser just opened a new store at Seventh Avenue and 29th, again not a LPQ in sight IIRC.
I do...

On the UES there's a Maison Kayser on 3rd and 87th. A LPQ is on Lex and 88th just around the corner basically.

The Maison Kayser near 5th and 40th is literally down the block from the LPQ across from Bryant Park. There are other places as well. In the Flatiron District, there's a Maison Kayser three doors down from the LPQ. Do you think these are all coincidences? I don't.

In Midtown, there's an LPQ on 44th and 3rd that I frequent. A Maison Kayser just recently opened across the street from it, so that's four instances where a Maison Kayser is right near a LPQ. I frequent both chains regularly so I'm familiar with just about all of their locations and I chuckled to myself because I could see exactly what they were doing. The thing is now that Maison Kayser is opening so many locations that one could argue that they in some cases aren't competing with LPQ, and there could be some truth to that. There's another one that I go to on Lexington and 52nd where there is no LPQ if you exclude the LPQ on 50th and 2nd, but that's an area that will get a lot of business because we both know that lots of white collar types will go to that one.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I do...

On the UES there's a Maison Kayser on 3rd and 87th. A LPQ is on Lex and 88th just around the corner basically.

The Maison Kayser near 5th and 40th is literally down the block from the LPQ across from Bryant Park. There are other places as well. In the Flatiron District, there's a Maison Kayser three doors down from the LPQ. Do you think these are all coincidences? I don't.

In Midtown, there's an LPQ on 44th and 3rd that I frequent. A Maison Kayser just recently opened across the street from it, so that's four instances where a Maison Kayser is right near a LPQ. I frequent both chains regularly so I'm familiar with just about all of their locations and I chuckled to myself because I could see exactly what they were doing. The thing is now that Maison Kayser is opening so many locations that one could argue that they in some cases aren't competing with LPQ, and there could be some truth to that. There's another one that I go to on Lexington and 52nd where there is no LPQ if you exclude the LPQ on 50th and 2nd, but that's an area that will get a lot of business because we both know that lots of white collar types will go to that one.

Do not think MK is chasing after LPQ per se; but they are simply going where traffic patterns, research and or demographics tell them where a target base of customers can be found.

UES is wealth and or persons familiar with French bakeries. Mid-town is tourist central so anyone with any sense would attempt to locate themselves in such an area. Ditto for really now much of "downtown" Manhattan below 34th street south to financial district.

For what it is worth Maison Kayser closed their Bleecker Street store. https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...t-corporation/

Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 PM

436 posts, read 409,959 times
There are a lot of French tourists and expatriates in this city. If you speak French like I do it's really easy to notice.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Do not think MK is chasing after LPQ per se; but they are simply going where traffic patterns, research and or demographics tell them where a target base of customers can be found.

UES is wealth and or persons familiar with French bakeries. Mid-town is tourist central so anyone with any sense would attempt to locate themselves in such an area. Ditto for really now much of "downtown" Manhattan below 34th street south to financial district.

For what it is worth Maison Kayser closed their Bleecker Street store. https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...t-corporation/
I can tell you right now that I've often times gone to a Maison Kayser for éclairs, and then walked right down the block to a LPQ, and I've seen others do the exact same thing, so while they may not be competing directly with LPQ, they're going to land the same types of customers... Mainly Europeans and Americans that are upper middle class or affluent types. I see tons of Europeans going to both and hear various Western European languages in both... People from Spain, South America, French, Italians, etc. I speak some French in addition to Spanish and Italian, so I pay attention to who goes where.

I'd venture to say that both Eric Kayser and Le Pain Quotidien are known to a lot of Europeans, so when they see them here, they go in because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or