Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Talk about paranoia and fearmongering. Yeah, there could be fraud in isolated cases but for the most part the labeling for organics is legitimate. There are inspections of products and false labeling or advertising is criminal so I doubt it is as widespread as you are trying to paint.
It should be criminal to sell anything that's not organic

Why would I want to eat anything else if given the choice

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It should be criminal to sell anything that's not organic

Why would I want to eat anything else if given the choice
I always find it funny how in today’s society, I have to pay more for them to not put poison chemicals in my food.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
and spend $4 for a “organic” tomato? How bout bringing Trader Joe’s to or create a partnership with them and all those got damn produce providers in Hunts Point to actually DO SOMETHING for the hood?
I spend $3.99 for a pack of organic cherry tomatoes grown right in upstate NY. Throw some in my organic salads and with my organic pasta dishes. You can get at least 5 - 6 meals out of those tomatoes, maybe more. I just add as many as I want each time with some other veggies. Tonight I'm having poor man's organic polenta with roasted organic corn and organic chicken sausage with some pesto. Shouldn't cost any more than a few bucks to make that breaking it down by portion size. If poor folks knew how to cook and make reasonable portion sizes, they could eat very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I always find it funny how in today’s society, I have to pay more for them to not put poison chemicals in my food.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
and spend $4 for a “organic” tomato? How bout bringing Trader Joe’s to or create a partnership with them and all those got damn produce providers in Hunts Point to actually DO SOMETHING for the hood?
Why does everything have to be done for the hood? The Left has been trying to tell us that we are all equal but then on the flip side they constantly tell us that certain groups always need to be handed everything.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because food purveyors, the government or some internet quacks TELL you some food is healthy is no good reason to BELIEVE it.

Because someone can stick an organic label on a product and double the price is no reason to believe the product has changed from unhealthy to healthy.

Some of you kiddies have no concept of ADVERTISING...or FRAUD.
KK I'm not a kiddo....

I'm not just talking about eating organic. I'm talking about eating healthy.
Eating vegatables is HEALTHY. Fruit too as long as not having too much to spike your sugar.
I don't think you understand or many people on this forum how in the hood, you just don't have fresh fruit and veggies available unless a farmer market comes in your neighborhood once a week.

You don't have to care about your health and what you consume but other people do. You search for the cheapest price and largest quantity. Some search for the best benefit to their body. Different people want different thing but everyone should be able to have fresh fruit and veggies. And before people say take the train....well if you live in the hood you really think people have $5.50 to pay for the train to get groceries.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
KK I'm not a kiddo....

I'm not just talking about eating organic. I'm talking about eating healthy.
Eating vegatables is HEALTHY. Fruit too as long as not having too much to spike your sugar.
I don't think you understand or many people on this forum how in the hood, you just don't have fresh fruit and veggies available unless a farmer market comes in your neighborhood once a week.

You don't have to care about your health and what you consume but other people do. You search for the cheapest price and largest quantity. Some search for the best benefit to their body. Different people want different thing but everyone should be able to have fresh fruit and veggies. And before people say take the train....well if you live in the hood you really think people have $5.50 to pay for the train to get groceries.
I wonder why those fruit and vegetable stands don't open up in areas where there is a dearth of grocery stores and other places to buy produce. Is it because, even though there's little competition, the demand isn't there because people in those areas just really aren't buying fresh fruit?

In my area (Jackson Heights), there are not only several grocery stores, but there are also at least 4 places in a 10 block stretch of 37th Ave that sell only fresh produce. And that still hasn't stopped the fruit cart guy from opening up on 82nd St. and 37th Ave. and another big one right outside the main station at 74th St. So there is fresh fruit everywhere and people are buying

Not to mention areas like this in Corona on Roosevelt Ave where entire sidewalks are essentially filled with fruit and vegetables. So apparently some poor or lower-income areas have produce...and lots of it.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I wonder why those fruit and vegetable stands don't open up in areas where there is a dearth of grocery stores and other places to buy produce. Is it because, even though there's little competition, the demand isn't there because people in those areas just really aren't buying fresh fruit?

In my area (Jackson Heights), there are not only several grocery stores, but there are also at least 4 places in a 10 block stretch of 37th Ave that sell only fresh produce. And that still hasn't stopped the fruit cart guy from opening up on 82nd St. and 37th Ave. and another big one right outside the main station at 74th St. So there is fresh fruit everywhere and people are buying

Not to mention areas like this in Corona on Roosevelt Ave where entire sidewalks are essentially filled with fruit and vegetables. So apparently some poor or lower-income areas have produce...and lots of it.
Aww cmon Henna

You've lived here too long

When we say poor or lower income areas we are referring to the projects, u know that...

Corona aint even really that poor

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
When we say poor or lower income areas we are referring to the projects, u know that...
Not always 7th. Some areas are low income and the projects are a good mile away.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Aww cmon Henna

You've lived here too long

So why aren't the fruit cart guys going to open up in the poor areas where they would have absolutely no competition? If people have to get on the subway to buy fruit..

Old 07-18-2018, 06:45 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
aww cmon henna

you've lived here too long

when we say poor or lower income areas we are referring to the projects, u know that...

lmao...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City