U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:05 PM

1,843 posts, read 1,092,495 times

Advertisements

Not surprised one of the biggest mistakes of the mid 1900s is turning out to be a confrontational mess. Good on the Fed's, but I wonder when anything will happen. I got friends in the PJs and I visit a few often. Ain't as bad as Cabrini Greene when my grandmother was alive or the Robert Taylor Homes, but what a ridiculous ridiculous mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 05:59 PM

19,176 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It was some NYCHA thread. I searched and can't find it. East New York thread maybe?
Find it

Beause I want to know who is living in NYCHA and paying attention to even the Tesla concept at the same time

Your average hood dweller ain't on Teslas. Plenty of other cars they would pick 1st.

LMAO nobody in NYCHA pays for electricity, but they worried about an electric car?

Find the thread. Otherwise we letting this urban legend rest tonight.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 PM

18,293 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Best of one's knowledge charging stations are absent from NYCHA developments. Thus unless someone has access to one elsewhere, no one living in such places owns a Telsa.

That plus EV aren't yet high on the "hood" status report. For motor vehicles that list is what it has been; Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infinity, Acura and if they can't swing that a Honda Accord or Civic.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,107,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, but no one is forcing these people to stay in NYCHA. The old saying you get what you pay for still applies. I mean who in the hell pays $10 for rent a month? If I go to Joe Coffee and buy a cortado and a pastry and give a $1 tip, that cost ~$11.10, $1.10 MORE than $10 that someone is paying in a MONTH for rent!!
They're tenants and deserve what the have a lease payment agreement guarantees them. Nothing more or less. Plus if when the repairs are finished then they will pay. Sounds fair

Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 PM

3,214 posts, read 1,107,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Find it

Beause I want to know who is living in NYCHA and paying attention to even the Tesla concept at the same time

Your average hood dweller ain't on Teslas. Plenty of other cars they would pick 1st.

LMAO nobody in NYCHA pays for electricity, but they worried about an electric car?

Find the thread. Otherwise we letting this urban legend rest tonight.
So many urban legends so little time. When I lived at Twin Parks as a kid on 183st street in 1984 my dad paid 500 a month. We moved out because the rent in private apartments were at 500 per month. In the PJs we had a three bedroom with a balcony. My dad worked, and me and my sisters worked from ages 15 on. Projects are better with working families. I mention this because I doubt people pay 10 dollars, that would be a exception for perhaps an aged person.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 PM

598 posts, read 195,541 times
Nycha is a lost cause either way

The buildings are older than dust

The tenants aren’t nearly paying what they should to offset the cost of maintenance to that old of a building

It’s a breeding ground for poverty

The government can’t run anything right, they should have been gradually raising rent as well as doing yearly income checks and apartment checks.

Tear them down

Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 PM

61 posts, read 42,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The days of $10 a month for rent are over, there's simply no way anybody is paying that in NYCHA right now, because you have to pay NYCHA 30% of your total income....what program is paying somebody $33 in total monthly compensation......
Guess again. Some people are disabled, elderly, alcoholics or drug addicts, can’t work, etc. there’s also exceptions from rent like section 8, having multiple people live in the same apartment (could be 10!), plus they could have been there for decades.
Some people are screwing the system over by working cash or claiming 8 people live with them but others are pitiful. They can’t work or hold a job and have you seen some of those projects? Especially the ones in the Bronx? I wouldn’t live there for free. They shouldn’t round the poor, elderly and disabled all in one big complex like that.
What’s an outrage is the scandal where money was stolen from these people in their pockets.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 PM

18,293 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Some of you just don't know. Others do and have commented, but the rest don't want to hear.

Just as with anything else in this welfare state/city public housing can be *worked*, and managed. Plenty of households do so and have been at it for years. NYCHA knows this and in theory could make more of an effort; but a with anything else people run to the media, elected officials and cry poor mouth. That and "NYCHA" is "picking on the poor, elderly" and so forth.

You've no end of seniors rattling around in three or four bedroom NYCHA apartments that long should have been right sized out. They use those spare rooms to rent out (legally or otherwise), as pied-a-terre and similar accommodations for themselves (while down south, back in the "Islands" visiting or extended vacation, and so it goes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/n...ng-refuge.html

New York City public housing could have more than 100,000 “ghost tenants” living off the books. Here’s why.

https://nypost.com/2013/12/22/low-in...-to-strangers/

Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 PM

19,176 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
Guess again. Some people are disabled, elderly, alcoholics or drug addicts, can’t work, etc. there’s also exceptions from rent like section 8, having multiple people live in the same apartment (could be 10!), plus they could have been there for decades.
Some people are screwing the system over by working cash or claiming 8 people live with them but others are pitiful. They can’t work or hold a job and have you seen some of those projects? Especially the ones in the Bronx? I wouldn’t live there for free. They shouldn’t round the poor, elderly and disabled all in one big complex like that.
What’s an outrage is the scandal where money was stolen from these people in their pockets.
Good evening,

Please dont misinterpret me.

I do not doubt that there are ppl that are disabled elderly etc.

Lets be very clear.

What I am questioning is,

What govt agency is paying somebody $33 a month in compensation?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or