U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 AM

598 posts, read 195,828 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thereal...d-on-rent/amp/

New York’s public housing authority is out of pocket $55.3 million in tenant rent as some residents withhold payment in protest of poor living conditions.

They think they’re going to get my rent? They’re not getting a single penny — nothing until they repair it,” Providencia Vanderpool told the New York Post in reference to a large hole in her bathroom, which, she says, was caused by a 10-year leak. Both are yet to be fixed.

“There are people who hold back their rent because of the s–t the city does . . . It’s just bulls–t,” said Mark Alequin to the Post. His 75-year-old mother, who is four months behind on rent, lives in a NYCHA unit and he spoke to her living conditions: “You can’t ever take a shower when you are supposed to. You put on the A/C and the power trips.” Other residents say the rent, which ranges from $10 to $3,000, is still too high.

The rent shortfall comes as the New York City Housing Authority is embroiled in a lead paint testing scandal and is in need of about $32 billion to make the repairs required to its aging portfolio of about 175,000 apartments. NYCHA’s records were seized in June as part of criminal prob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM

20,173 posts, read 21,767,856 times
I wonder what and where the 3K rent NYCHA is

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM

9,968 posts, read 8,460,132 times
Mass eviction. I'm sure they have plenty of people to fill the apartments. They shouldn't screw around (but, of course, they will.)

Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 AM

7,589 posts, read 2,703,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder what and where the 3K rent NYCHA is
$10 for rent... Smh... If these people don't like NYCHA, they can LEAVE and pay market rate rent... Beggars being choosy on taxpayer dollars...

Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM

19,228 posts, read 32,742,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$10 for rent... Smh... If these people don't like NYCHA, they can LEAVE and pay market rate rent... Beggars being choosy on taxpayer dollars...
Stuff isnt supposed to leak tho

The level of receipt of services shouldnt be based on what one pays for rent because a lot of those services go into making sure the building is still standing and operational. Where the amount of rent differs is mostly cosmetic.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Stuff isnt supposed to leak tho

The level of receipt of services shouldnt be based on what one pays for rent because a lot of those services go into making sure the building is still standing and operational. Where the amount of rent differs is mostly cosmetic.
Yes, but no one is forcing these people to stay in NYCHA. The old saying you get what you pay for still applies. I mean who in the hell pays $10 for rent a month? If I go to Joe Coffee and buy a cortado and a pastry and give a $1 tip, that cost ~$11.10, $1.10 MORE than $10 that someone is paying in a MONTH for rent!!

Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM

19,228 posts, read 32,742,854 times
Quote:
Yes, but no one is forcing these people to stay in NYCHA. The old saying you get what you pay for still applies. I mean who in the hell pays $10 for rent a month? If I go to Joe Coffee and buy a cortado and a pastry and give a $1 tip, that cost ~$11.10, $1.10 MORE than $10 that someone is paying in a MONTH for rent!!
The days of $10 a month for rent are over, there's simply no way anybody is paying that in NYCHA right now, because you have to pay NYCHA 30% of your total income....what program is paying somebody $33 in total monthly compensation......

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM

20,173 posts, read 21,767,856 times
Quote:
That’s the range, not the distribution. I’m curious about the bottom of the range as well, but I’ll guess it stems from an old-timer living there so I’m more curious about the people who are putting 3k a month into NYCHA rent. You get what you pay for, but somebody is paying quite a bit.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The days of $10 a month for rent are over, there's simply no way anybody is paying that in NYCHA right now, because you have to pay NYCHA 30% of your total income....what program is paying somebody $33 in total monthly compensation......
I would certainly hope not, but hey stranger things have happened. Who was that politician that had not one but TWO rent stabilized apartments? He wasn't even using them.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM

4,166 posts, read 3,456,419 times
If there was a large hole in your apt I’m pretty sure you’d withhold rent too. NYCHA is caught between a rock and a harder place because they are short staffed because of the feds cutting their operating budget. They are overwhelmed. At the same time, the residents can move and get better. Some people are comfortable living in generational poverty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or