U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM

2,917 posts, read 1,186,385 times

Advertisements

That $15 per hour is meant for fast food workers and non tipped staff.

But I am sure that non documented workers are still getting the shaft!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
That $15 per hour is meant for fast food workers and non tipped staff.

But I am sure that non documented workers are still getting the shaft!
You mean ILLEGALS and they should be getting the shaft. They can come in through the front door like other LEGAL citizens and then they can be paid normal wages instead of under the table. Not unless the like living in the shadows.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM

19,130 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's probably been happening already, you just didn't notice. How much more of what you do is done over the internet, or behind the scenes by computer, than it was 10-15 years ago?
I'm talking 3d printed houses
Cars run all on computer and tell you whats wrong on its screen
Hell, self-driving cars
A machine that looks like the hair dryers ladies sit in under salons but can give haircuts

I'm talking stuff like that. Not baby stuff like touchscreen smartphones

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM

7,548 posts, read 2,688,620 times
Quote:
It's probably been happening already, you just didn't notice. How much more of what you do is done over the internet, or behind the scenes by computer, than it was 10-15 years ago?
Very true. My rent, and all of my other bills are PAID with the click of the mouse a few times a month. I used to sent my checks certified mail. Well now I can even pay my rent with a credit card or a debit card if I want through the portal. I'd never do it because the fees are insane, but it's still nice to have the option. The one thing that really irks me is having to place orders for delivery over the phone. You place the order and you have to repeat everything two or three times. It's much easier just placing the order online and either picking it up at the store or having it delivered. Some of these small businesses need to get with it.

There's a Greek place in my neighborhood. They won't do anything online. No Grubhub, Seamless, nothing. Everything is by phone and you have to place a $20 minimum order if you want to use a debit or credit card. Meanwhile they keep placing you on hold because they get numerous phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hell, self-driving cars
A machine that looks like the hair dryers ladies sit in under salons but can give haircuts

You don't like your barber talking your head off? You know, the haircut that should take 15 minutes but takes almost an hour...

Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM

20,113 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Most of these landlords have multiple properties these days, so they'll get their money back one way or another. You can't be that naÔve... How many properties are out there where people are overpaying for studios, one bedrooms and the like. Not that long ago, you could get a one bedroom for $900 in the outerboroughs. Now $1400 is the floor in most places for a studio.
You forgot to highlight the following sentence:

"I can kind of see those costs being amortized into a larger tenant pool outside of that property, but that's a bit further out in chain and the easier work for a landlord would simply to be to fill that vacancy."

What do you feel like the bold'd means? Now the rest of what you're saying is true, but the question is how that will actually change things. On one hand you have vacancies that have a tax levied on them, so the more properties you have that are vacant, the more you will need to make up that amount which can run into cost increases passed down. That's possible, but it's also possible to fill the vacancy because there is certainly more than enough demand. For retail, there has been completely functional businesses that were put out by massive rent hikes only to sit empty for long periods of time.

A large part of is simply the migration of retail businesses to online purchases, but that should be having a downward pressure on street level retail rents rather than upwards, no? Restaurants certainly depend more on location so this should have been a boon to them in some sense. Instead, landlords are sitting on empty spaces or creating empty spaces because they are trying to do a massive gamble of high rents from a large corporate tenant which is not panning out for most people including the landlords. Meanwhile, generally cashflow positive businesses that are actual employing people and contributing taxes get shut down with a large component of that from these rent hike gambles. This is poor land use policy for the city. This is poor economics for the city. The city's gamble of using a vacancy tax for retail is what the cost/benefit would be to have landlords think hard about making their own gambles for wealthy corporate tenants by having such high rents that few to no tenants bite on this.

I support, at the very least, a good faith study on what its effects would be. I do not think of it as a silver bullet in and of itself, but what is obvious is that many otherwise thriving businesses are being shutdown in large part due to rent hikes and that high rents are a correspondingly high barrier for new businesses to succeed during this age of massive retail movement towards the Internet.

You do have to wonder though--what proportion of landlords are doing this because they took a massive gamble in buying property on loans and overleveraged themselves so far that they must necessarily charge such high rents in order to try to make their payments, and are hoping for a deus ex machina to occur with a dream tenant who will happily pay those prices when vacancies abound? If this exists in significant numbers, what are the mechanisms by which they financed this and is it in some ways better to just push them into bankruptcy sooner for their gamble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ It’s really pointless talking to OyCrumber. You can explain all the logic you want to him and then months from now, on another thread he’ll just say that you never gave any valid arguments against his dumb idea. He will just continue to peddle his nonsense regardless.
What logic have you actually explained? What sensible counter-argument are you actually offering here?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:19 PM

20,113 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Quote:
Yea, and conversely, how many random jobs now exist that 10-15 years ago would simply be ridiculous or non-existent.

Social media managers? We really are living in the end times!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:51 PM

72 posts, read 23,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If it is not true, then why donít you tell us then how this min wage law will work out for businesses then?
It's tough to know whether it would work, but here's an article where a well intended policy has back-fired and ended up hurting the workers that it was supposed to help in Korea.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1K70DD

Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM

64,576 posts, read 66,100,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You mean ILLEGALS and they should be getting the shaft. They can come in through the front door like other LEGAL citizens and then they can be paid normal wages instead of under the table. Not unless the like living in the shadows.
we certainly agree on that .

Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 977,439 times
Who would have thought that was going to happen, like going out of eat in Europe better bring some bank because of the taxes.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM

9,953 posts, read 8,441,593 times
It's a progression, and the progression has already started, mostly in things you don't see (think manufacturing automation.) Hell, think retail and Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hell, self-driving cars

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City