U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM

19,406 posts, read 34,458,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's a progression, and the progression has already started, mostly in things you don't see (think manufacturing automation.) Hell, think retail and Amazon.
Cant come fast enough for me

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 03:17 PM

21,896 posts, read 23,455,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's a progression, and the progression has already started, mostly in things you don't see (think manufacturing automation.) Hell, think retail and Amazon.
The big early hits were the elimination of a lot clerical and secretarial work, and then the automation of a lot of the factory line work. Even the tech sector that does so much of that automation is on the path towards automating its own jobs out. I worked on templating engines which basically cut out a bunch of designers and programmers, though arguably made websites more accessible in terms of creating and managing them than before. Now I'm tinkering with AI assist on that which basically learns the process of certain sequences of work and learns how to execute these processes with the human work essentially just being outlining of the desired product and then choosing among the generated work.

It's all coming to get y'all, dogs! Edward Bellamy and crew were all about the wonders of the future where people were finally freed from the drudgery of work due to automation and life became about self-development, personal philosophies and life fulfillment--that's great and all, but that didn't account for a whole host of different issues.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 957,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Union square’s Coffee shop closing ?! That’s unfortunate, I’ve taken many a visitor there.
Ohhhh. I like that place! It had decent food at decent prices, alright service. A fun place to people watch and just hang out while stuffing your a face.
Bummer.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 PM

62 posts, read 52,712 times
At what point do you stop eating at restaurants? $15 for a little plate of spaghetti is pricey to me so I’ll make it at home. Do those cash only restaurants survive? There’s still some Chinese places around that do the whole “cash only” thing without seamless or credit cards. I feel like they’re about to shut down.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Eagerly waiting for modern technology to erase my needs for most people that I have to pay. Sounds messed up but it is what it is.
lol. Have to agree with you there. I love self checkout. Do so any chance I can get. At the post office, at Target, CVS, the library. Went to Chase Bank recently and they got rid of half the tellers and replaced them with these new machines and I totally bypass the tellers now and use the machines to deposit checks and to conduct other simple transactions. They're right next to the tellers and inside the actual bank so it feels safer than using their ATM machines. And I order from Amazon first than bother to go to a store since I discovered the joy of Amazon Lockers!

Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I'm talking 3d printed houses
Cars run all on computer and tell you whats wrong on its screen
Hell, self-driving cars
A machine that looks like the hair dryers ladies sit in under salons but can give haircuts

I'm talking stuff like that. Not baby stuff like touchscreen smartphones
Ahhh. No. I am not getting inside a self driving car.
Nor a machine that gives out hair cuts.
What if it goes haywire or there's a short circuit and it chops off my head instead.
Or the car malfunctions and drives straight off a cliff.
I've seen lawn mowers turn on their owners.
You're braver than me.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,740,738 times
Surprise... surprise?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:18 PM

19,406 posts, read 34,458,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ahhh. No. I am not getting inside a self driving car.
Nor a machine that gives out hair cuts.
What if it goes haywire or there's a short circuit and it chops off my head instead.
Or the car malfunctions and drives straight off a cliff.
I've seen lawn mowers turn on their owners.
You're braver than me.
Lol I'm trying to have Rosie and I'm tryna be Mr. Jetson ya Dig

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Lol I'm trying to have Rosie and I'm tryna be Mr. Jetson ya Dig
Rosie was cool. I wouldn't mind having a million of her running the country.
But back to reality.
You would really get inside a self driving car??!
You'll trust the technology that much?
You couldn't pay me to get inside a self driving car.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 PM

770 posts, read 726,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Fake news. 95% of all NYC restaurants (kitchens) are staffed by illegal immigrants from South America and Mexico. They work for below minimum wage, under the table. Even a high profile operation like Eataly uses illegal immigrants for backroom/backline labor.

Most restaurant owners in NYC are very wealthy. Their quality of life would decrease significantly if if they had to pay all of their employees minimum wage.

The linked article is a false angle trying to protect restaurant owners and fincaciers business interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City