Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Rising rents and healthcare costs are factors but don’t try to deny that an added cost of the min wage is not a factor. Anything that adds to the cost of doing business is a factor in dooming a business. And as for your dumb vacancy tax idea, it is another band aid Leftist idea that will not attack the root cause of the problem, which is high cost of living/high taxes but just make matters worse.

If you put a tax on the landlord, they’d just pass that added cost onto their tenants, be it residential or commercial. Then the businesses will then be forced to pass it along to their customers and then because of high prices, they either buy online or buy less, which then hurts the local businesses. It then becomes a vicious cycle.

You Leftists don’t think any more than one step ahead. Everything you guys propose is for the feel good momentary effects and votes. Tax the rich! Free healthcare, free housing, free money for the poor!
Though taxes also make money flow throughout the economy. The government spends it as fast as they collect it. What good is money if just a few people hoard it like Scrouge McDuck? Similarly debt makes money flow around the world, without debt and financing and investing we'd have no capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Paying someone $15 to flip burgers is absurd. The problem lies with elected officials gutting and outsourcing good paying jobs for ones that weren't meant to be good paying jobs.
Why is paying someone $15 an hour absurd? None of the fast food companies have gone bankrupt for doing this.

And small businesses that often hire mostly immigrant, if not illegal immigrant staff are not affected by this law.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Give it a few years. It'll come.

The minimum wage increase is going to cost restaurants, especially bigger ones, a few hundred grand a year. That's going to create a big pot of gold for companies that can automate many basic kitchen task, which, let's be honest, are basically repetitive and don't require a lot of intelligence.
How much money would it cost for them to invest in the creation of the equipment? Companies do cost benefit analysis when they determine how much automation will help their bottom line.

The MTA is an example of something that SHOULD be a lot more automated than it is. But this will change as metrocards are phased out in favor of smartphone apps and wireless contact cards.

Automation has come to the retail sector anyway in the form of Amazon and other online merchants. Amazon is buying an online pharmacy. Meaning doctors will be able to soon electronically submit prescription to Amazon, which will be able to bill the patient's insurance.

This automation was going to happen no matter what the minimum wage is, and is inevitable simply because it makes people's lives a lot easier.

I began using Amazon not because of the discounts. I got tired of going to certain stores and the staff not being able to tell me where something was in the store or if they had it. Incompetent, untrained staff that quite frankly just sucked. When you go online it's easy to search where they are in stock for an item, and if they are you just buy it.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
You mean ILLEGALS and they should be getting the shaft. They can come in through the front door like other LEGAL citizens and then they can be paid normal wages instead of under the table. Not unless the like living in the shadows.
They aren't supposed be working at all. By accepting cash wages below the minimum and where payroll taxes aren't paid they are hurting legal residents and citizens.

But yes, if they want to be paid normal wages they will have to get legal status.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,676,789 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. Paying someone $15 to flip burgers is absurd...
People value hard work...until they have to pay for it.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 AM

105,986 posts, read 107,954,552 times
to make money you need to do the things people can't or won't do for themselves .

working hard means little when an entire work force can pretty much dig a ditch .

on the other hand in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king . if we all had a disease and could not move our arms those who could would make as much as doctors just pouring coffee.

that is key to getting a good paying job . tipping came in to play so jobs we put little value on can appeal to the customer for what amounts to being charitable so the job pays more than it is valued at

Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM

1,121 posts, read 586,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
95% of all NYC restaurants (kitchens) are staffed by illegal immigrants from South America and Mexico. They work for below minimum wage, under the table. Even a high profile operation like Eataly uses illegal immigrants for backroom/backline labor.

Most restaurant owners in NYC are very wealthy. Their quality of life would decrease significantly if if they had to pay all of their employees minimum wage.

The linked article is a false angle trying to protect restaurant owners and fincaciers business interests.
I agree that people working here illegally have messed up the restaurant industry most significantly but the restaurant owners hiring them should have more heat (or ICE) on them. In any event, groups of people working here illegally are pretty tough, they stick together, and would just figure out another way to exploit our systems.

The thing about the new minimum wage is that any person who worked at a restaurant for multiple years and worked their way up to $15 is now making the same amount as any new hires with wages at bottom of the totem pole.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM

15,784 posts, read 14,382,511 times
I remember when the Coffee Shop was actually a coffee shop. Where the Petco is now, used to be a disco called The Underground. My sister worked there. I'd meet her there during the day, and we'd have lunch at the coffee shop (note lower case.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ohhhh. I like that place! It had decent food at decent prices, alright service. A fun place to people watch and just hang out while stuffing your a face.
Bummer.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:36 PM

15,784 posts, read 14,382,511 times
How many people are killed in and by cars now. After they get the bugs worked out (a process that will have, and actually already has had, a body count), I bet that self driving cars (oh, and BTW trucks) will kill a lot less people than human driven vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Ahhh. No. I am not getting inside a self driving car.
Nor a machine that gives out hair cuts.
What if it goes haywire or there's a short circuit and it chops off my head instead.
Or the car malfunctions and drives straight off a cliff.
I've seen lawn mowers turn on their owners.
You're braver than me.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why is paying someone $15 an hour absurd? None of the fast food companies have gone bankrupt for doing this.

And small businesses that often hire mostly immigrant, if not illegal immigrant staff are not affected by this law.
Because there isn't one fast food place that should pay employees $15 for such a low skilled job. Take frozen patty out, put frozen patty on grill, add salt and pepper, flip, repeat. Put cheese on burger, toast bun, put on condiments and repeat. These were jobs that teens did which is who these jobs should be for, not people trying to raise their family off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City