Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

...as ‘food swamps’ for having unhealthy meal options!

Report points out certain Queens neighborhoods as 'food swamps' for having unhealthy meal options - QNS.com

Three Queens neighborhoods are being called “food swamps” because they’re rife with places selling unhealthy food sources, according to a report.

This means certain communities have limited access to healthy food choices, particularly in Jackson Heights, Corona and Jamaica.

Ummmm...Jackson Heights?! Considered a...food swamp??

The report found that while there is no shortage of food options in these neighborhoods, with food swamps on the rise in Queens, it exemplifies the persistent health disparities that plague underserved communities throughout the city.

Outside of food swamps, the report found that in Jackson Heights, Corona and Jamaica, there is a high volume of vacant lots and beauty salons in each neighborhood. While vacant lots are associated with high crime, the report highlights their potential to better the community, such as when they are transformed into community gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
This article drove me crazy. First of all, the researcher implies there is a lack of supermarkets in Jackson Heights. I think there might be about 20 supermarkets -- you only need to walk at most 5 blocks in any direction to find one. Just because there might be a KFC or Taco Bell in between your residence and the grocery store, does that mean you MUST eat at the Taco Bell? Because I think that's also what it's implying with the whole ratio thing.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
That article absolutrely reeks of snobbery.

As for vacant lots, those neighborhoods are all getting expensive so I don't ser what point they're trying to make.

Personally, I don't get to eat out often so I'm not searching for healthy food options when I do, but I doubt it's that hard to find healthy choices in any of those neighborhoods.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This article drove me crazy. First of all, the researcher implies there is a lack of supermarkets in Jackson Heights. I think there might be about 20 supermarkets -- you only need to walk at most 5 blocks in any direction to find one. Just because there might be a KFC or Taco Bell in between your residence and the grocery store, does that mean you MUST eat at the Taco Bell? Because I think that's also what it's implying with the whole ratio thing.
Yeah it's bizarre in my opinion and I detect some subtle racism.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I don't know of a single vacant lot in Jackson heights. If there were one, people would be all over it to start a community garden. I'd love to be proven wrong. Just tell me the address of the vacant lot and 20 people would be organized by Sunday to line up and start planting.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yeah. It's been awhile since I've been to Jackson Heights but I didn't get the impression it was a food swamp!
Quite the contrary. Also, I found the area to be quite nice actually. Diverse, lots of good restaurants, easy access to public transport, safe, nice buildings (esp. the historic section), cool people...

Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
So out of touch! I am very familiar with this area. What you talking about?

First of all, it may be vacant, but not abandoned. That abandoned 20x100 lot is actually worth an easy $500k empty and cleared.

And the big official big Supermarket like a Key Foods may be gone, but that only made way for the super supermarkets, with isles of "ethnic" food products and an actual butcher and seafood counters. There are also a Colombian chain of Supermarkets, and fruits and vegetable wholesalers . Mater of fact, on 37 th avenue between 77 and 76 streets, there are 2 supermarkets across from each other.

And dont be fooled that the meals in the restaurants are not healthy. Jackson Heights has a very good selection of restaurants offering wholesome and healthy meals, besides food truck tacos. If this reporter just walked Roosevelt avenue, they would have seen street vendors selling produce as well, along with real fruit smoothies.

Whoever wrote the article was looking for a damn Wholefoods , and wrote this article in the only Starbucks in town. Complaining about not finding Kale or foi gras in the produce isle. These folks at live here are working class, some a 2 income household, need these restaurants , to avoid having to cook dinner at night.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times
Where exactly in Jamaica are they talking about? All the regular supermarket chains are located there, plus the ethnic grocery stores. You can't drive a block without seeing a jamaican restaurant. There are roti shops, thai and spanish restaurants. Indian and bangladesh restaurants.

It may not have the hipster restaurants but it sure isn't lacking in options for the immigrant community that it serves. A half mile radius on hillside avenue has atleast 5 supermarkets, one which is 24 hr.

I literally walk to the supermarket from my house to purchase ripe bananas, yams, onions, garlics, okra, milk etc weekly.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:11 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Jackson Heights? Food desert?? Wtf??? There are so many supermarkets there and fruit venders on the street itself. Have they never visited the actual area?

Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Jackson Heights has a very good health food store/supermarket. So I don't know why the author of the article claims there is a lack of healthy food choices in that neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: