U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 PM

19,217 posts, read 32,719,007 times

Advertisements

Wait until they find out about Brooklyn's Chinatown and all the cool Asian spots

Oops

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:17 PM

581 posts, read 548,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The transplants don't know this

So if you dont want your rent to go up, keep ur mouth shut

I was really doing u a favor
Lol that is true! But anybody can google matcha places in Brooklyn and find out.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 AM

1,217 posts, read 277,724 times
Response to livingsinglenys

O.K.?

I am open minded.
Please tell me how you will change my mind with your point of view.
The podium is yours.....

Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 AM

I always think that a good argument concerning costs of living is backed by numbers.
Just saying it isn't so...... is a weak defense.

My friend in 2010 was making $ 800 a week and paying $800 a month for a one bedroom apartment in a 2 family home.
8 years later ( including year 2010) in 2017 his rent jumped to $1,600 a month while his pay check rose to $1,200 a week.

His rent doubled in 8 years while his paycheck rose only by half and he has a city job !
He went from paying off his rent with one week of salary to more than a week for said apartment.
Last I spoke with him he moved out of the apartment as rent was raised again and forced to move
in with his kids as they too need to combine their incomes as whole to meet these runaway rental increases.

Please note: In N.Y. 5 families and under are for the most part unregulated ( landlord determines the rent ).
6 families and above are protected by laws that determine incremental rent increases under
NYC Rental Guidelines Board/Rent Stabilization.
If legally unregulated you are at the mercy of the landlord.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-22-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 04:33 AM

So so true.
Someone I knew ( disabled ) applied for Section 8 years ago and was approved immediately.
With the help of SNAP that person was able to get by.......but it is really not a good way to live.
It is just such a sad sad environment. Just my opinion................

Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 AM

This is how I'm laying out in a nut shell ( just my observation )

Those that are 2 generations New Yorkers made it better for their kids as they lined them up with all civil service jobs.
Can anybody say Tier 1 ?
Policemen,Fireman,Housing,Sanitation, etc.....
20 years and full retirement great pensions and hospitalization.
Many went on to double dip. ( Start at 20 yrs old. Retire at 40. Start at 40 retire at 60. Collect Social Security at 65.)
That's 2 pensions,401k's,IRAs, medical benefits and Social Security and Medicare.
Need I say more.

Many 1st generation immigrants coming to N.Y.
had access to many many jobs as long as you were willing to work long and hard and affordable housing.
Not so much on the civil service end as that was tied up by the previous generation ( its not what you know its who you knew )
Plain and simple.

I grew up in all of this. I am the child of of 1st generation immigrant parents who came here legally to this country.
Not able to land the Civil Service jobs( scored well ) we did take advantage of the lower paying harder working jobs some union some civil
and were still able to come out on top as successfully living in N.Y.

Many young adults entering the work place today are dealt a lethal blow.
Do not be down on yourself. You have had access to Great education and completing Associate ,bachelor,masters,doctoral etc....
Yet there are not enough high paying jobs calling for those degrees?
When I started work almost 40 years ago 4 men along with helpers,company trucks were needed to complete the job.
Just before I retired same work was being completed (tried damn hard) by me ,no helper,no truck! Company downsizing!
Positions dissolved due to corporate greed on all levels and global trade that destroyed our country while raising others.
This is what you young adults are facing today.
Results of Global trade and I was here first.

On top of that,
You are faced with runaway rents (another discussion) and low low paying jobs.

Unless you are a product of a 3d generation success story started here in NY you are fighting an uphill battle.
My heart breaks for you young adults with so much talent and not too many companies to appreciate it.
Those still employed at high paying jobs are busting their butts and counting down the days to retirement.
But no guarantee once they leave the spot becomes available. It may just suddenly disappear.
You are just going to work even harder than my generation to achieve the same goals if even possible as a 1st generation New Yorker.
God Bless and Good Luck.

I lived it .You heard it.
The Honest truth.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:52 AM

528 posts, read 107,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
This is how I'm laying out in a nut shell ( just my observation )

Those that are 2 generations New Yorkers made it better for their kids as they lined them up with all civil service jobs.
Can anybody say Tier 1 ?
Policemen,Fireman,Housing,Sanitation, etc.....
20 years and full retirement great pensions and hospitalization.
Many went on to double dip. ( Start at 20 yrs old. Retire at 40. Start at 40 retire at 60. Collect Social Security at 65.)
That's 2 pensions,401k's,IRAs, medical benefits and Social Security and Medicare.
Need I say more.

Many 1st generation immigrants coming to N.Y.
had access to many many jobs as long as you were willing to work long and hard and affordable housing.
Not so much on the civil service end as that was tied up by the previous generation ( its not what you know its who you knew )
Plain and simple.

I grew up in all of this. I am the child of of 1st generation immigrant parents who came here legally to this country.
Not able to land the Civil Service jobs( scored well ) we did take advantage of the lower paying harder working jobs some union some civil
and were still able to come out on top as successfully living in N.Y.

Many young adults entering the work place today are dealt a lethal blow.
Do not be down on yourself. You have had access to Great education and completing Associate ,bachelor,masters,doctoral etc....
Yet there are not enough high paying jobs calling for those degrees?
When I started work almost 40 years ago 4 men along with helpers,company trucks were needed to complete the job.
Just before I retired same work was being completed (tried damn hard) by me ,no helper,no truck! Company downsizing!
Positions dissolved due to corporate greed on all levels and global trade that destroyed our country while raising others.
This is what you young adults are facing today.
Results of Global trade and I was here first.

On top of that,
You are faced with runaway rents (another discussion) and low low paying jobs.

Unless you are a product of a 3d generation success story started here in NY you are fighting an uphill battle.
My heart breaks for you young adults with so much talent and not too many companies to appreciate it.
Those still employed at high paying jobs are busting their butts and counting down the days to retirement.
But no guarantee once they leave the spot becomes available. It may just suddenly disappear.
You are just going to work even harder than my generation to achieve the same goals if even possible as a 1st generation New Yorker.
God Bless and Good Luck.

I lived it .You heard it.
The Honest truth.
Hope this helps.
You're alright.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Lol that is true! But anybody can google matcha places in Brooklyn and find out.
Yeah but who feels like taking the D train to Brooklyn

Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 AM

20,166 posts, read 21,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The transplants don't know this

So if you dont want your rent to go up, keep ur mouth shut

I was really doing u a favor
I'm not renting and I think distributing people and development is ultimately better.

Really think jobs are what need to be distributed with that though.

Broadway Junction everybody! I'll chip in on a matcha shop if that's what it takes.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not renting and I think distributing people and development is ultimately better.

Really think jobs are what need to be distributed with that though.

Broadway Junction everybody! I'll chip in on a matcha shop if that's what it takes.
I don't think any major development has taken place in the Broadway Junction vicinity besides the medical building on Pennsylvania and Atlantic, area needs a catalyst

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City