Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,427,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I think only the fire escapes on the front facade of midsize brick buildings are pretty uniquely NYC. Otherwise, I can see midrise late 19th century tenements right now from the window in the depressed downtown of an Upstate NY city that I am visiting. Midrise brick Victorian tenements are also all over the UK. Those in NYC are indeed interesting (mostly due to the network of fire escapes), but I find the enormous brick towers more impressive. A brick is a small warm red or brown object, but when you put thousands of them together to reach the sky, I just say "oh wow, oh wow, oh wow"...
What state is that? I would like to see.

And it's not just the fire escapes, but the design features on the building. That being said, I really can't think of any other US cities that have a lot of midrise brick buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,584,869 times
The Parks. Van Courdlandt, Pelham Bay Park, and Crotona all hold memories for me with me and my dad.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:17 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,618,948 times
Le Corbusier-style development isn't unique to New York or the United States. And I don't think that the typical project project apartment is appealing on the inside -- tiny windows for one thing. Living like that people are also very disconnected from their surroundings. I'm pretty sure that there have been theories that this type of development leads to less social cohesion and other problems.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Le Corbusier-style development isn't unique to New York or the United States. And I don't think that the typical project project apartment is appealing on the inside -- tiny windows for one thing. Living like that people are also very disconnected from their surroundings. I'm pretty sure that there have been theories that this type of development leads to less social cohesion and other problems.
I'm a fan of 3-6 story buildings flush with the street. I think that's ideal urban form

Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM

782 posts, read 524,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes, my claim that the Arab owned corner stores are also commonly referred to as bodegas is correct.
There’s much more to that thread. But hey, you’re the expert who doesn’t live in NYC and knows better than everyone else.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
There’s much more to that thread. But hey, you’re the expert who doesn’t live in NYC and knows better than everyone else.
You almost always fail to actually prove my arguments wrong, so this is all you can say.

And I said nothing controversial in this thread, not sure why you and Seventhfloor are getting on my case.

Last edited by l1995; 07-21-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm a fan of 3-6 story buildings flush with the street. I think that's ideal urban form
I like it too for my surroundings, but I live in a townhouse now that is set back from the street a little and I really like it. It feels much more private, and it's quicker to get outside (no need to wait for the elevator).

Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I like it too for my surroundings, but I live in a townhouse now that is set back from the street a little and I really like it. It feels much more private, and it's quicker to get outside (no need to wait for the elevator).
I like those too. I like the mix your neighborhood has with those on the midrise buildings on the same block.

Is there a difference between a townhouse and a rowhouse?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You almost always fail to actually prove my arguments wrong, so this is all you can say.

And I said nothing controversial in this thread, not sure why you and Seventhfloor are getting on my case.
I don't think the disagreement is really about the use of the word tenement, but I don't know why he's so pissed off.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I like those too. I like the mix your neighborhood has with those on the midrise buildings on the same block.

Is there a difference between a townhouse and a rowhouse?
I think of row house as fully attached. The good thing about attached houses are that they're much cheaper to heat. I found that out the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City