U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:17 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,579,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I think of row house as fully attached.
So your house is detached but multifamily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:21 PM

2,592 posts, read 3,380,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
So your house is detached but multifamily?
Yes, a lot of the houses in Bedford Park are detached, but very close to each other. If I were to do it over, I'd probably look for an attached house because of the heating issue.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yes, a lot of the houses in Bedford Park are detached, but very close to each other. If I were to do it over, I'd probably look for an attached house because of the heating issue.
I know exactly what you mean, barely detached (too narrow for even a driveway). And rowhouses have cheaper heating bills?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 PM

2,592 posts, read 3,380,295 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, barely detached (too narrow for even a driveway). And rowhouses have cheaper heating bills?
I have friends with rowhouses, and they cost much less to heat. I guess there could be more noise issues though.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 AM

753 posts, read 271,217 times
Quote:
You almost always fail to actually prove my arguments wrong, so this is all you can say.

And I said nothing controversial in this thread, not sure why you and Seventhfloor are getting on my case.
You really should try to understand what others are saying. And if people provide links, read them and learn. Really, give it a try instead of assuming you already know things. Many people here speak from experiences and actual knowledge.

For this thread, go back and reread. The whole reason why the tenement definition discussion came up is because others were using the word and you wanted to tell them they were wrong. You made it a big deal. It’s so weird. You didn’t actually experience what they were experiencing. And it’s not like you have actual knowledge either. There’s another Bronx thread (I think the arson one) going on where you ask a lot of questions (which is a good thing) but now you’re correcting people here with things you picked up there. You don’t actually know yourself! Do you not see the problem?

I would suggest that you do actual research on topics in which you’re interested. This board is good for picking up some anecdotal data points but it is no substitute for well-researched books/articles and experiences. Anonymous internet posts should not form the main basis of your knowledge.

Last edited by MC305; 07-22-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
You really should try to understand what others are saying. And if people provide links, read them and learn. Really, give it a try instead of assuming you already know things. Many people here speak from experiences and actual knowledge.

For this thread, go back and reread. The whole reason why the tenement definition discussion came up is because others were using the word and you wanted to tell them they were wrong. You made it a big deal. It’s so weird. You didn’t actually experience what they were experiencing. And it’s not like you have actual knowledge either. There’s another Bronx thread (I think the arson one) going on where you ask a lot of questions (which is a good thing) but now you’re correcting people here with things you picked up there. You don’t actually know yourself! Do you not see the problem?
I shared my thought that I think people might be misusing the term to describe Bronx buildings based on the mostly commonly used definition of the word in the present day. But Seventhfloor posting a link showing that the word tenement described a luxury apartment building in 1927 does not prove me wrong, because I never said anything to the contrary. Just because someone posts a link that they think supports their claim, does not mean I'm incorrect. What matters is what's inside the link, and whether or not it supports the claims being made. As far as anecdotes, they're just anecdotes and they don't really mean anything because this is an anonymous messageboard. As far as I'm concerned, you don't even exist.

To you, it's like "if someone who doesn't kiss my ass slightly disagrees with what I'm saying, his claims are completely baseless and he doesn't know what he's talking about".

Edit: As for your last point, that contradicts your insinuation that I should accept other people's anecdotes as the truth.

Last edited by l1995; 07-22-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 AM

753 posts, read 271,217 times
Quote:
No, I actually never said that tenement had a set definition. I shared my thought that I think people might be misusing the term to describe The Bronx buildings based on the mostly commonly used definition of the word in the present day. But Seventhfloor posting a link showing that the word tenement described a luxury apartment building in 1927 does not prove me wrong, because I never said anything to the contrary. Just because someone posts a link that they think supports their claim, does not mean I'm incorrect. What matters is what's inside the link, and whether or not it supports the claims being made. As far as anecdotes, they're just anecdotes and they don't really mean anything because this is an anonymous messageboard. As far as I'm concerned, you don't even exist.

To you, it's like "if someone who doesn't kiss my ass slightly disagrees with what I'm saying, his claims are completely baseless and he doesn't know what he's talking about".

Edit: As for your last point, that contradicts your insinuation that I should accept other people's anecdotes as the truth.
You’re the one telling others they are wrong all the time! That’s the problem. You have very specific definitions in your mind for some reason and instead of trying to follow conversations and understand what others are saying, you’d rather pick apart other people’s posts. Like you think you know everything already. You do this all the time. Give me a break. You don’t even live in the city. There’s no way you can fully understand what people are saying given your lack of experience. But you want to argue all the time! Why? Do you think you’re smarter than everyone else? This board should be about sharing experiences, not whatever you’re doing.

And it sounds like you don’t bother opening up links. You don’t really want to learn then. I’m sorry I wasted my time in the past looking those things up for you. I thought you actually wanted to learn but you just want to argue.

And you make no sense with your anecdote comments. Really no sense. Basically you pick and choose what you want to believe. You don’t really care about being accurate.

Whatever. I give up on you. I’ve been skipping most of your posts lately anyway. You’ve basically turned into nywriterdude with your nonsense and taking over and derailing threads.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
You’re the one telling others they are wrong all the time! That’s the problem. You have very specific definitions in your mind for some reason and instead of trying to follow conversations and understand what others are saying, you’d rather pick apart other people’s posts. Like you think you know everything already. You do this all the time. Give me a break. You don’t even live in the city. There’s no way you can fully understand what people are saying given your lack of experience. But you want to argue all the time! Why? Do you think you’re smarter than everyone else? This board should be about sharing experiences, not whatever you’re doing.

And it sounds like you don’t bother opening up links. You don’t really want to learn then. I’m sorry I wasted my time in the past looking those things up for you. I thought you actually wanted to learn but you just want to argue.

And you make no sense with your anecdote comments. Really no sense. Basically you pick and chose what you want to believe. You don’t really care about being accurate.

Whatever. I give up on you. I’ve been skipping most of your posts lately anyway. You’ve basically turned into nywriterdude with your nonsense and taking over and derailing threads.
You're such a hypocrite, all you do is pick apart people's posts. And you're not even picking apart the main point of the post, you get angry at random little things. As far as starting arguments, there are only 2 people on this board who I have lengthy arguments, one being you, and the other I stopped giving into because he's a troll and not worth engaging with at all. And what makes you think your "experience" is the end all?

And how many links have you even shared? Like one maybe? That's much different from the idea you're trying to present that I'm always being showered with links proving me wrong, but I'm too stubborn to read them. That's really not what's going on.

No, the comments about anecdotes make perfect sense. You said I should listen to other people's anecdotes because they "actually experience things", then later go onto say that I shouldn't rely on anecdotes and do

And oh god, what will I ever do without your arrogant, uninformative comments?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,111,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Pierre. You dont live there. You dont know... if you did one year in the South Bronx, youd be horrified
One can live in the South Bronx and be aware of what is ugly while still appreciating the good right ?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 AM

20,178 posts, read 21,784,368 times
The South Bronx covers a pretty large area with some variation from one part to another, yea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or