U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 PM

10,615 posts, read 20,750,046 times

Advertisements

The fish mosaic building is worth checking out as well.

An Art Deco Masterpiece in the Bronx | Scouting NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:48 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,077,047 times
The bird guy who rides his bike around Grand Concourse yelling “cacadoodle dooo!”

Old 07-22-2018, 07:18 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,799,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most of Brooklyn and Queens fall into that category too
SOME of Brooklyn is still like that...

Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,565,327 times
I was gonna take a really long walk through the West Bronx today but woke up way and it's been raining all day, I'm so disappointed. I

Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
SOME of Brooklyn is still like that...
Most of Brooklyn is like that. As in, either run down, immigrant heavy, or both.

Even Bushwick, which is rapidly gentrifying, is still overwhelmingly "ethnic". I've been spending more time there recently and it's less white than I thought. Even the Jefferson St L stop area, which you see a ton of white hipsters walking around, still appears to be overwhelmingly Hispanic as far as who actually lives in the buildings.

My friend lives right there (who is Mexican) and her whole building is Hispanics, along with most of the residents of that block.

Even Williamsburg still has Hassidic Jews (and probably always will) and Puerto Ricans.

And then a large chunk of Brooklyn is just not popular for gentrifiers (at least the stereotypical white ones), such as pretty much everywhere below Kensington/Flatbush (which are overwhelmingly ethnic themselves).

Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 2,215,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the Bronx is the last of the authentic ungentrified NY

Its the first home i knew growing up so i have a lot of personal memories

the tenement walk ups are unique most of the other boroughs dont have as many as the bronx (although harlem and wash hts has alot as well)

the home of hip hop music and culture (nuff said abt that)

unique mix of afro americans puerto ricans jamaicans dominicans Africans mexicans Albanians and the far east Bronx still has alot of italians....

City island is cool.....i remember the driving video game in one of the restaurants as a kid in the 80s

As varied others have alluded to in this thread and as you are stating it here even more explicitly (re: your boldfaced comment appearing above):

When I'm moving about in or even just passing through the Bronx, it feels that the "old New York City" that I knew that has disappeared or been greater reduced in so many places in New York City at-large. Even in the nicest parts of the Bronx, it appears wholesome and fresh: that is, not uber-uber-glitzy and gaudy, not uber-inundated with ultra-modern sterile glass-and-steel (or mostly just glass-on-the-outside) office buildings and apartment buildings and structures through-and-through everywhere you look, not just with the whole environment and settings meant to cater to the one-percenters of our society. It feels more-or-less like "old-time New York" from the 1980s, 1970s, 1960s, 1950s, 1940s, and earlier. It's nice to experience New York without being utterly immersed in an uber-glitzy Disneyland- or Hollywood- or Las Vegas-like ambience through-and-through. This doesn't mean that I like the worst parts or elements of the Bronx (I don't) but that, even in the most well-kept parts, it feels "homey" and "non-sterile" to me, by-and-large.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:22 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,799,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most of Brooklyn is like that. As in, either run down, immigrant heavy, or both.

Even Bushwick, which is rapidly gentrifying, is still overwhelmingly "ethnic". I've been spending more time there recently and it's less white than I thought. Even the Jefferson St L stop area, which you see a ton of white hipsters walking around, still appears to be overwhelmingly Hispanic as far as who actually lives in the buildings.

My friend lives right there (who is Mexican) and her whole building is Hispanics, along with most of the residents of that block.

Even Williamsburg still has Hassidic Jews (and probably always will) and Puerto Ricans.

And then a large chunk of Brooklyn is just not popular for gentrifiers (at least the stereotypical white ones), such as pretty much everywhere below Kensington/Flatbush (which are overwhelmingly ethnic themselves).
True. I LOVE that part of Brooklyn - south of Kensington and Flatbush. It feels so homey and authentic.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
True. I LOVE that part of Brooklyn - south of Kensington and Flatbush. It feels so homey and authentic.
And most of Eastern Brooklyn is not gentrified either. I

Old 08-19-2018, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 65 times
I can verify that because Iíve been in the South Bronx for exactly a year and Iím horrified. But I have been trying to give it a chance, I do live in a great building on the top floor with great views and a few small amenities.. Iíve been getting out there on my bike and exploring the borough.. in my particular area, itís mostly the people thatís been housed from shelters from all around the city right here in the Bronx. If anybody was wondering where NYC was hiding itís trash... hmmm other than that, this borough could still be saved!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:50 AM

7,584 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonionyc View Post
I can verify that because Iíve been in the South Bronx for exactly a year and Iím horrified. But I have been trying to give it a chance, I do live in a great building on the top floor with great views and a few small amenities.. Iíve been getting out there on my bike and exploring the borough.. in my particular area, itís mostly the people thatís been housed from shelters from all around the city right here in the Bronx. If anybody was wondering where NYC was hiding itís trash... hmmm other than that, this borough could still be saved!
LMAO What brought you to the South Bronx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or