U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
 
1,474 posts, read 1,387,232 times
Reputation: 1991

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm planning a trip to City Island. Please tell me there's a good place to eat besides those so-called "seafood places"? I want to avoid those like the plague. I'm thinking about doing the French place (BistroSK) that says they're the only "real" French place in the entire Bronx (even if the owner is a total nut job per the reviews). LOL

Outside of that, none of the places wow me. I've been reviewing the Yelp reviews and have not been impressed.

I like Portofino and I love The Black Whale, especially the brunch. BistorSK is VERY good, Stephan made it so I would never return. He's a real clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I like Portofino and I love The Black Whale, especially the brunch. BistorSK is VERY good, Stephan made it so I would never return. He's a real clown.
LMAO... I was considering The Black Whale, but some of the reviews gave me second thoughts. Maybe they have some off days, but I saw the picture of the omelette and was turned off. I think I can deal with Stephan. I'll just make sure I bring enough cash and tip accordingly. The menu looks good enough. Nothing I haven't had before that I can't get in Manhattan, but I want good food for the ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM
 
2,591 posts, read 3,375,229 times
Reputation: 1293
NYBG, Little Italy, Mosholu and Pelham Parkway, Van Cortlandt and Pelham Bay Parks, City Island, Bronx Zoo, Wave Hill, Yankees...universities of Fordham and Lehman (I also like Lehman Center for Performing Arts) some of the best high schools in the city.... The Bronx is less expensive than every other borough (from purchase prices, to restaurants, groceries, contractors even...) Some neighborhoods have a distinctly New York flavor...Art Deco and Victorian era architecture in some neighborhoods, hilly topography in the west Bronx..

Hey speaking of the Bronx, where's Bluedog? Hopefully relaxing in Rome for the summer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
 
1,571 posts, read 417,501 times
Reputation: 1053
I've been thinking about taking my little nest egg and buying something in the Bronx for some time if I can convince my credit union to give me a small loan. This thread has been very helpful .

Just have to figure out how much "fixer upping" I'm willing to put up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I've been thinking about taking my little nest egg and buying something in the Bronx for some time if I can convince my credit union to give me a small loan. This thread has been very helpful .

Just have to figure out how much "fixer upping" I'm willing to put up with.
I have looked in some areas of the Bronx, and there are some good prices to be had, even in places like Riverdale. Personally, I'd do a co-op, get something that needs to be gutted, and make it my own. If you do a condo, then you can put down as little as 3% as a first time homeowner with the FHA loan. Your payments will be a bit higher, but at least you'd have your own place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM
 
1,571 posts, read 417,501 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have looked in some areas of the Bronx, and there are some good prices to be had, even in places like Riverdale. Personally, I'd do a co-op, get something that needs to be gutted, and make it my own. If you do a condo, then you can put down as little as 3% as a first time homeowner with the FHA loan. Your payments will be a bit higher, but at least you'd have your own place.
Thanks! My own little slice of heaven .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Thanks! My own little slice of heaven .
I came close to owning in my 20s, but I wanted to live life a bit, so I didn't get too serious about it, but I did a ton of research. Living in a gut renovated place has me very open to the idea because it's my own thing and I can have everything the way I want it. Now I'm basically thinking about what I don't have in my place now and what I MUST have in my place that I buy. I think if bought something in the Bronx for example, I could get a stackable Bosch washer and dryer, something that I've seen in apartments on the UWS that would be four times the price in some areas for such an amenity. I have a washer and dryer in my building, but I hate going to the laundry room. It's much nicer having it in your apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 AM
 
11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Reputation: 5517
Fordham University


Go Rams!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
1,837 posts, read 1,089,703 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I came close to owning in my 20s, but I wanted to live life a bit, so I didn't get too serious about it, but I did a ton of research. Living in a gut renovated place has me very open to the idea because it's my own thing and I can have everything the way I want it. Now I'm basically thinking about what I don't have in my place now and what I MUST have in my place that I buy. I think if bought something in the Bronx for example, I could get a stackable Bosch washer and dryer, something that I've seen in apartments on the UWS that would be four times the price in some areas for such an amenity. I have a washer and dryer in my building, but I hate going to the laundry room. It's much nicer having it in your apartment.
For me, I like having someone else do it, especially since they fold it nicer than I ever will, as long as it's a cheap enough price. Right now, it's around $8 a week for me to get wash/dry/fold and the place is really close to my apartment so it's basically hassle free and an expense I'm willing to pay. Cheaper than having a similar place with W/D supposedly if I was market rate. Essex Crossing gives W/D in apartment though, so I'll probably just switch to doing my laundry again. Still, it's nice clearing up the day by having someone else do it. Drop it off in the morning, go play DnD, pick it up in the afternoon. I might still do it even with W/D as we found a good place that does it for less ($6-7/wk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
For me, I like having someone else do it, especially since they fold it nicer than I ever will, as long as it's a cheap enough price. Right now, it's around $8 a week for me to get wash/dry/fold and the place is really close to my apartment so it's basically hassle free and an expense I'm willing to pay. Cheaper than having a similar place with W/D supposedly if I was market rate. Essex Crossing gives W/D in apartment though, so I'll probably just switch to doing my laundry again. Still, it's nice clearing up the day by having someone else do it. Drop it off in the morning, go play DnD, pick it up in the afternoon. I might still do it even with W/D as we found a good place that does it for less ($6-7/wk).
I've been doing laundry going back to my college days. I don't like anyone touching my stuff. I mean it's not that complicated. Dress shirts you wash and let dry in the walk-in closet. Same thing with pants. Nothing to fold. Socks I just throw them on hangars and let them dry too. On occasion I'll iron a shirt, but most of them I buy don't need too much ironing. I have a friend that does that. They throw EVERYTHING in the damn dryer. If I did that with my dress shirts, they'd all be up my back. The only that's tricky to fold are bed sheets and those damn fitters for the mattress. The rest is a piece of cake. The newer machines even have a steam setting so it reduces wrinkles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top