Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM

33,794 posts, read 47,022,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Unionport or Castle Hill. I live off Castle Hill Ave, but Im in Unionport. People just call it all Castle Hill. Very convenient area. Im ajacent to four highways, three bridges, an express bus, the q44 to Queens, the 6 train, and several MTA buses.
Didnt realize Castle Hill had such good transportation

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,210,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Didnt realize Castle Hill had such good transportation
It depends on where in Castle Hill you are. Castle Hill in my mind is south of the Bruckner, but as he said Unionport is often called Castle Hill which is closer to Parkchester, thus giving you access to the subway. The BxM8 runs until midnight to Manhattan, and it's quick since it's one of the last stops from the Bronx. I believe the 6 train has express service to and from Parkchester during rush hours, so with no delays you can be in Manhattan in about 20 minutes, excluding the walk or bus ride to the station. You can also take the BxM6 in Parkchester since it stops right by the subway as well, and it's basically two stops before you go straight to Manhattan.

The further south of the Bruckner you are the worst the transportation is.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,035,204 times
Default Jlo and her big culo

Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 PM

33,794 posts, read 47,022,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It depends on where in Castle Hill you are. Castle Hill in my mind is south of the Bruckner, but as he said Unionport is often called Castle Hill which is closer to Parkchester, thus giving you access to the subway. The BxM8 runs until midnight to Manhattan, and it's quick since it's one of the last stops from the Bronx. I believe the 6 train has express service to and from Parkchester during rush hours, so with no delays you can be in Manhattan in about 20 minutes, excluding the walk or bus ride to the station. You can also take the BxM6 in Parkchester since it stops right by the subway as well, and it's basically two stops before you go straight to Manhattan.

I should say Unionport then.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 PM

LMAO... Jenny from down the block...

Old 07-19-2018, 09:54 PM

47 posts, read 97,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

"you can be in Manhattan in about 20 minutes"

Yes maybe you will reach 125th in 20 minutes with no delays. The commute can be pretty bad. Often the 6 train will just run local even during rush hour at random times. The 6 train will be express for a few stops then converted to a local. The q44 to Queens is decent, it can take 35min to reach flushing main st. The east Bronx is a decent area, just gotta continue to keep the percentage of section 8 residents relatively low.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 AM

857 posts, read 1,196,561 times
the Bronx is the last of the authentic ungentrified NY

Its the first home i knew growing up so i have a lot of personal memories

the tenement walk ups are unique most of the other boroughs dont have as many as the bronx (although harlem and wash hts has alot as well)

the home of hip hop music and culture (nuff said abt that)

unique mix of afro americans puerto ricans jamaicans dominicans Africans mexicans Albanians and the far east Bronx still has alot of italians....

City island is cool.....i remember the driving video game in one of the restaurants as a kid in the 80s

Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,420,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the Bronx is the last of the authentic ungentrified NY

Its the first home i knew growing up so i have a lot of personal memories

the tenement walk ups are unique most of the other boroughs dont have as many as the bronx (although harlem and wash hts has alot as well)

the home of hip hop music and culture (nuff said abt that)

unique mix of afro americans puerto ricans jamaicans dominicans Africans mexicans Albanians and the far east Bronx still has alot of italians....

City island is cool.....i remember the driving video game in one of the restaurants as a kid in the 80s
I would actually say Manhattan has more of them. It seems like the tenement buildings in the Central Bronx were mostly burned in the 70s and then razed. While the East Village, LES, and many other parts of Manhattan still have most of them.

The 6 story buildings found throughout the West Bronx are for the most part not tenements. The Grand Concourse and surrounding blocks were meant for the middle class.

Also, most of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island aren't gentrified

Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would actually say Manhattan has more of them. It seems like the tenement buildings in the Central Bronx were mostly burned in the 70s and then razed. While the East Village, LES, and many other parts of Manhattan still have most of them.

The 6 story buildings found throughout the West Bronx are for the most part not tenements. The Grand Concourse and surrounding blocks were meant for the middle class.

Also, most of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island aren't gentrified
Yes but a lot of the Bronx still has that "authentic NY" feel to it. Some other areas have become too sterile.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON5 View Post
"you can be in Manhattan in about 20 minutes"

Yes maybe you will reach 125th in 20 minutes with no delays. The commute can be pretty bad. Often the 6 train will just run local even during rush hour at random times. The 6 train will be express for a few stops then converted to a local. The q44 to Queens is decent, it can take 35min to reach flushing main st. The east Bronx is a decent area, just gotta continue to keep the percentage of section 8 residents relatively low.
And attract more higher income earners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City