U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
 
11,317 posts, read 16,854,679 times
Reputation: 5537

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the Bronx is the last of the authentic ungentrified NY

Its the first home i knew growing up so i have a lot of personal memories

the tenement walk ups are unique most of the other boroughs dont have as many as the bronx (although harlem and wash hts has alot as well)

the home of hip hop music and culture (nuff said abt that)

unique mix of afro americans puerto ricans jamaicans dominicans Africans mexicans Albanians and the far east Bronx still has alot of italians....

City island is cool.....i remember the driving video game in one of the restaurants as a kid in the 80s
Very true.

I remember the first few times I walked up to the D train on Fordham Road. Looking south on the side streets, the tenements went on for miles. Felt like I was in a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2835
Speaking of good things, a good friend of mine just told me that he has acquired an apartment building passed down from his relatives in Pelham Bay where he grew up. He comes down from Westchester to ensure that the building is in good shape, etc. I asked him to take me around the East Bronx because I've never been to Pelham Bay or some of the other areas for that matter. Should be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,614,165 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Very true.

I remember the first few times I walked up to the D train on Fordham Road. Looking south on the side streets, the tenements went on for miles. Felt like I was in a movie.
Those are not tenements. Those buildings were made for the middle class and many of them have elevators if I'm not mistaken. Those buildings were for people escaping the tenements of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,614,165 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes but a lot of the Bronx still has that "authentic NY" feel to it. Some other areas have become too sterile.
If by "real New York" you mean hood or run down, then every borough has plenty of that. If you mean blue collar white neighborhoods, then every borough but Manhattan has those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,614,165 times
Reputation: 5950
Double
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2835
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If by "real New York" you mean hood or run down, then every borough has plenty of that. If you mean blue collar white neighborhoods, then every borough but Manhattan has those too.
No, I mean you still have native New Yorkers there that were born and raised there so it's more authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 PM
 
11,317 posts, read 16,854,679 times
Reputation: 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Those are not tenements. Those buildings were made for the middle class and many of them have elevators if I'm not mistaken. Those buildings were for people escaping the tenements of Manhattan.
That would be true on the Concourse and other places, but the blocks & buildings I am referring to looked no better than those they escaped from.

Granted I am sure they looked a bit better in 1925, but I am talking about 1983. And somehow I doubt they look much better today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 PM
 
5 posts, read 920 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Speaking of good things, a good friend of mine just told me that he has acquired an apartment building passed down from his relatives in Pelham Bay where he grew up. He comes down from Westchester to ensure that the building is in good shape, etc. I asked him to take me around the East Bronx because I've never been to Pelham Bay or some of the other areas for that matter. Should be fun.
i recently moved to Pelham Bay with my wife. I'm originally from Brooklyn/Queens, and she's from the Bronx. I've been here for about 5 months now, but I really like the neighborhood. The subway is a close walk, and the commute to the city for work isn't as bad as I thought, especially when it goes express. There are some good places to eat around here too. And it's only a 10-15 min drive to City Island, which I am planning to go to one of these days for seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,598 posts, read 2,733,871 times
Reputation: 2835
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyes100 View Post
i recently moved to Pelham Bay with my wife. I'm originally from Brooklyn/Queens, and she's from the Bronx. I've been here for about 5 months now, but I really like the neighborhood. The subway is a close walk, and the commute to the city for work isn't as bad as I thought, especially when it goes express. There are some good places to eat around here too. And it's only a 10-15 min drive to City Island, which I am planning to go to one of these days for seafood.
Don't expect great things in terms of the seafood. Red Lobster quality. So far the only place that seems worth visiting is BistroSK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,614,165 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, I mean you still have native New Yorkers there that were born and raised there so it's more authentic.
Same thing with the other 4 boroughs. And The Bronx has a huge immigrant population anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That would be true on the Concourse and other places, but the blocks & buildings I am referring to looked no better than those they escaped from.

Granted I am sure they looked a bit better in 1925, but I am talking about 1983. And somehow I doubt they look much better today.
Well the area might have been hood, but the buildings are nice.

And even the walkup buildings in the LES aren't tenements, they replaced the actual tenements that used to be there. They're 100+ years old and are still around, and rich people pay thousands of dollars per month to live in them. Plus many of them are ornate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top