U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 653,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Restaurants need a certain amount of non-neighborhood residents to frequent their establishments in order to survive. People don't go to SE Queens to eat. There is also a lack of diversity. And people don't typically chaseafter West Indian food like they do Asian, Mexican, European, etc...
Be specific about Europe and I think Jamaican food is popular or can be popular but Caribbean restaurant owners have poor manners that sort of halt them from expanding to everyone else.

The few Caribbean restaurants in downtown Brooklyn areas and Manhattan are pretty successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:36 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Be specific about Europe and I think Jamaican food is popular or can be popular but Caribbean restaurant owners have poor manners that sort of halt them from expanding to everyone else.

The few Caribbean restaurants in downtown Brooklyn areas and Manhattan are pretty successful.
I find that Jamaican food is just so common iack parts of NYC that I wouldn't seek it out if I was in a destination neighborhood like the East Village.. By that I mean I'm so used to getting it throuhought large chunks of Brooklyn, Queens (plus there are like 5 Jamaican restaurants in Baldwin) so I would seek out something less common if I were in a neighborhood with a lot of restaurant diversity.

It also seems like Jamaican food takes the spot as the city's black food as opposed to soul food, Jamaican food even seems very popular among AAs.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Quote:
Soul food shouldn’t be eaten in Queens. Harlem has the best soul food. Bed Stuy not to shabby either!

Yea Corona doesn’t have as much public housing as Brownsville either
Why is soul food in Queens so mediocre? There are so many AAs so that shouldn't be the case!

Quote:
As long as the restaurant sells dope food and the word gets around town it will survive.

Also the Caribbean is mixed racially so Chinese and Indian food isn’t something that’s new to Caribbean’s
Well yeah, I guess there just haven't been enough pioneers yet. I do notice that a Mexican restaurant recently opened in Hollis, which I'm pretty sure does not have a large Mexican population.

I do see black people eat at Raagini (our 1 Indian restaurant) in Baldwin, and I wonder if part of that is the West Indian connection. Plus I see black people in various restaurants on Cortelyou Road, including Asian fusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City