Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

After a few months of no use, my television suddenly started getting unpredictably fewer channels.

This is just over-the-air broadcast free television, but I used to get, for instance: 2/2.2, 4/4.2, 5/5.2/5.3/5.4, 7/7.2/7.3, 9/9.2/9.3, 11/11.2/11.3, 13/13.2, 25/25.2/25.3, 31/31.2/31.3, 33/33.2/33.3/33.4. In other words, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, My/WOR, WPIX, PBS, Get, Movies, Laff, Decades, CUNY, Antenna, This, Pax, Grit, and so on. Suddenly, there's a bunch of variation in what even shows up. Last week, I couldn't get CBS and Decades. Right now I can't get PBS and the main WOR.

I figure there are four elements for me to be watching television: the Samsung set, its remote control, the Terk antenna which is supposedly pretty good, and the broadcast source. I've re-scanned the channels repeatedly, I've changed the batteries on the remote since it seemed unreliable, I took the remote to a store to check it, I've talked to Samsung and Terk. And I'm no closer to a solution.

Any ideas? Have you ever had a similar problem? I thought that the signal was coming from the Empire State Building these days, but the Terk guy implied otherwise, and talked about Upper East Side and Upper West Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I also copied your thread to the Consumer Electronics forum:

Hoping for input on broadcast-only TV (or repair expert)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2018, 05:42 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Depending upon how high up your apartment is there could be a number of factors. Things such as construction in your area and or line of reception, then fact trees have leafed out which can also interfere with reception.

As of several weeks ago we also lost quite a few stations. That and or have to move antenna around or adjust when going from say "Movies!" to "MeTv" and vice versa. Have not been able to get PBS/Channel Thirteen in months.

Have you tried doing an antenna rescan? This and or checking signal strength of channels?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Here's some info on coming transitions,, all free of course,,,

https://www.cnet.com/news/atsc-3-0-t...ng-eventually/

Old 07-04-2018, 07:46 PM

16,051 posts, read 6,843,318 times
I have had Pluto TV for over a year on my mobile phone.
It's awesome when outside waiting in the car for the wife to get done shopping
and easily cast to chrome TV with many casting apps available.
My mobile phone turns into a handheld remote and I have access to many stations
besides the free over air channels. Add a kodi app to your mobile and wow.....
now we are into a whole new TV experience.

It is coming to the point where all one needs is a cheap $50 mobile phone with a cheap 3-6 GB plan
for about $80 a month and this covers email,internet,phone and cable service.
You just have to learn to become a little tech savvy...................

Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Depending upon how high up your apartment is there could be a number of factors. Things such as construction in your area and or line of reception, then fact trees have leafed out which can also interfere with reception.

As of several weeks ago we also lost quite a few stations. That and or have to move antenna around or adjust when going from say "Movies!" to "MeTv" and vice versa. Have not been able to get PBS/Channel Thirteen in months.

Have you tried doing an antenna rescan? This and or checking signal strength of channels?
Yes, as I said, I re-scan regularly, repeatedly.

In what way does one check signal strength?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

If you have a converter box there should be a built in function accessed via remote. IIRC many "digital ready" or whatever televisions with built in converter boxes offered same feature.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...460277243.html

You might also try websites like this: https://nocable.org/availability-rep...w-york-city-ny

Or this one: https://antennaweb.org/

Last edited by BugsyPal; 07-15-2018 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

If this is your first summer with OTA broadcasting, then depending upon where you live and other factors trees leafing out may be causing your signal woes.

Those living on higher floors of high rise buildings and or at least above tree height normally aren't bothered I summer. Anyone else in particular those on ground or say even fifth floor of a walk-up building could have issues.

It isn't helping that city has been on a tree planting binge for past decade or so.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If this is your first summer with OTA broadcasting, then depending upon where you live and other factors trees leafing out may be causing your signal woes.

Those living on higher floors of high rise buildings and or at least above tree height normally aren't bothered I summer. Anyone else in particular those on ground or say even fifth floor of a walk-up building could have issues.

It isn't helping that city has been on a tree planting binge for past decade or so.
My radio reception is not that great. I live in a tall building on a low floor. There are a lot of other tall buildings around, 40-50 stories

Is that is the worst condition for reception?

Dont have any TV right now. It's been a few years . If I bought one what could I expect with antennae reception, not into paying a cable bill

Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
My radio reception is not that great. I live in a tall building on a low floor. There are a lot of other tall buildings around, 40-50 stories

Is that is the worst condition for reception?

Dont have any TV right now. It's been a few years . If I bought one what could I expect with antennae reception, not into paying a cable bill

See above....

Any over air broadcast reception be it television or FM radio will be affected by several factors. Primary is your location in relation to broadcasting antenna, and amount (if any) of things that block/hinder that path. Tall buildings, trees, large truck parked/stopped outside your window (ground floor), etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: