U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:46 AM

6,828 posts, read 4,428,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Trump is not going to give NYC any significant money on transportation unless NYC's Congressmen vote for the border wall.
Why are you expecting Trump to help the MTA?

Obama was born in Honolulu and the Honolulu Airport is in bad shape. I visited Hawaii this year and that airport is sooo outdated and it's an international hub for the USA in the Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 AM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Why are you expecting Trump to help the MTA?

Obama was born in Honolulu and the Honolulu Airport is in bad shape. I visited Hawaii this year and that airport is sooo outdated and it's an international hub for the USA in the Pacific.
Trump claimed he wanted to spend one trillion on infrastructure.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/25/1438...administration

Second Avenue Subway was one of his priorities.

NJ Agencies Try to Calm Trump Hostility to Gateway Project - NJ Spotlight

For additional federal funding for mass transit in NYC, Trump wants cooperation from Schumer and the rest of NYC's Senators and Representatives. And of course Schumer is the leader of the Democrats in the Senate. He wants a deal on immigration reform.

So I am not expecting Trump to help the MTA, but he certainly can IF he and Schumer come to a deal. If Trump gets something he really wants from Schumer, yes, Trump is the kind of person who would definitely fund the MTA. But it's contingent on Schumer giving him what he wants. Will Schumer be able to concede on immigrant or something else Trump wants? That's the question.

So yes, additional funding for all phases of the Second Avenue Subway can happen under this President, if someone gives him the right deal.

And yes, things happen as a matter of one election as Trump's crackdown on illegal immigration has been rather brutal.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 AM

6,828 posts, read 4,428,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Trump claimed he wanted to spend one trillion on infrastructure.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/1/25/1438...administration

Second Avenue Subway was one of his priorities.

NJ Agencies Try to Calm Trump Hostility to Gateway Project - NJ Spotlight

For additional federal funding for mass transit in NYC, Trump wants cooperation from Schumer and the rest of NYC's Senators and Representatives. And of course Schumer is the leader of the Democrats in the Senate. He wants a deal on immigration reform.

So I am not expecting Trump to help the MTA, but he certainly can IF he and Schumer come to a deal. If Trump gets something he really wants from Schumer, yes, Trump is the kind of person who would definitely fund the MTA. But it's contingent on Schumer giving him what he wants. Will Schumer be able to concede on immigrant or something else Trump wants? That's the question.

So yes, additional funding for all phases of the Second Avenue Subway can happen under this President, if someone gives him the right deal.

And yes, things happen as a matter of one election as Trump's crackdown on illegal immigration has been rather brutal.
You might want to re-read the article. "The Trump administration has promised a so-called “trillion-dollar program” for infrastructure improvements across the United States."

$1 Trillion across the USA. Why would you want Trump to fund the MTA when there are internal issues in the MTA that make them useless?

Obama also kicked out illegals during his tenure.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume the people of the Upper East Side will push for it to be done no matter what the price.

Upper East Siders don't have a great deaf of need to head North into Spanish Harlem.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM

7,557 posts, read 2,691,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume the people of the Upper East Side will push for it to be done no matter what the price.
For what? This project is for East Harlem, not the Upper East Side. They already have the Q train terminating at 96th street.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
I guess I'll be dead before I can subway up to East River Plaza (Aldi's.)

Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM

20,127 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Upper East Siders don't have a great deaf of need to head North into Spanish Harlem.
Yea, it's more phase 3 and 4 they're probably looking forward to though they'll be looking for a while.

There is supposed to be a transfer to Metro-North with the completion of 125th street--I'm assuming the station is supposed to lay between Park and Lexington on 125th street. Maybe it's good for fabulous Connecticut and Westchester visits.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 AM

4,408 posts, read 2,269,552 times
I don’t know why going up to the Bronx is the next phase. Going downtown is more important.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 AM

20,127 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I don’t know why going up to the Bronx is the next phase. Going downtown is more important.
Part of the rationale was that there were some existing tunnels and to serve as an earlier upstream reliever for the crowded Lexington Ave Line as well as the Metro-North trains. The other is because of the operations aspect of it where you can do the second phase as a continuation of the current Q line run, but if you did phase 3 first then you'd have built a pretty stumpy line service for a separate train service, and due to it being built with just two tracks rather than a local/express four track, that means you'd have to split that max service frequency between the two. I think part of the hope was that before phase 3 and 4 are up, or concurrently, something would be figured out with the 63rd street tunnel and service in Queens so that some Queens service could take up the service "slack" there would be for trains south of 63rd street.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-23-2018 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 AM

7,126 posts, read 5,499,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Could be completed by 2029 if things begin by 2019 at the latest

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...lt-2029-report
cancel project immediately

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City