U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 723,635 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/inside...c-toll-plazas/

Big Governor is watching you.

Facial-recognition cameras at bridge and tunnel toll plazas across the city are already scanning drivers’ visages and feeding them into databases to catch suspected criminals, Gov. Andrew Cuomo revealed Friday.

“When it reads that license plate, it reads it for scofflaws . . . [but] the toll is almost the least significant contribution that this electronic equipment can actually perform,” Cuomo said at a press conference outside the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

“We are now moving to facial-recognition technology, which takes it to a whole new level, where it can see the face of the person in the car and run that technology against databases.

“Because many times a person will turn their head when they see a security camera, so they are now experimenting with technology that just identifies a person by their ear, believe it or not,” he continued.

The tech is being tested at the RFK/Triborough Bridge and was switched on at Queens Midtown Tunnel and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel Friday, according to the Governor’s Office.

It will also eventually come to at least two of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s six other spans — the Throgs Neck and Whitestone bridges — and down the road will be added at all area airports, Cuomo’s office confirmed.

A request for proposals from contractors previously published by the online news outlet Vocativ says the tech is slated for all seven of the city’s toll bridges in addition to the two tunnels.

Citing *security-related issues, the Governor’s Office refused to say when the forthcoming cameras will be activated, what databases they are comparing the photos against and who will have access to the data.

But Cuomo said on Friday that license plates scanned at the toll plazas, at least, are already being checked “for warrants, suspected felons, parole violators, terrorist suspects” — and that the intel is passed within five seconds on to cop cars stationed at the crossings.

“It’s a phenomenal security device,” he said.

Not everyone agrees.

The New York Civil Liberties Union slammed the surveillance operation after the governor’s press conference, saying the tech is unreliable and could wind up targeting innocent people.

“Facial-recognition software is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to identifying people of color, women and children, leading to the possibility of people being mistakenly arrested or erroneously monitored,” NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman said in a statement.

“Government should not be casting a dragnet to track everyone going about their day through the state’s bridges and tunnels, especially not when that data could be shared with other law-enforcement agencies, including immigration authorities.”

The state Department of Motor *Vehicles already uses facial-recognition software to catch people committing identity theft and fraud and has some 16 million photos in its databases, according to an August 2017 release from the Governor’s Office.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 PM

9,970 posts, read 8,463,156 times
Notice in many subway stations, CCTV cameras are mounted to that they can capture the face everyone going through the turnstiles in either direction? I've stills from these cameras on the local news. One wonders what else the NYPD might be using these for besides just releasing pictures of wanted individuals to the media.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:21 PM

18,315 posts, read 11,709,355 times
Andrew Cuomo is an egit.

The guy pushed through toll less highways, bridges, and tunnels in NYS; then surprise, surprise, the MTA is losing vast sums because people aren't paying.

Never one to admit defeat (or find ways of spending NYS taxpayer money), the Mouth of Albany now proposes a solution to a problem *HE* created.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/state-a...ees-1511307526

Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,535,998 times

although privacy is not explicitly written in the constitution. its interpreted.

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 07-21-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM

391 posts, read 372,266 times
good i feel safer.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
good i feel safer.

until the machetes come out

Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 PM

581 posts, read 548,898 times
I support any new technology that would help catch terrorists, rapists and other criminals. If they want to capture my face, that is fine with me. I have nothing to hide.
The only downside to this technology is the case of a mistaken identity. That would be a huge problem but that is a question only the experts would be able to answer. Also, I am wondering if some criminal wearing a mask to hide his facial features, would they be able to recognize them using this new technology?

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM

7,908 posts, read 6,488,354 times
You want big government leftism, you get big government leftism.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I support any new technology that would help catch terrorists, rapists and other criminals. If they want to capture my face, that is fine with me. I have nothing to hide.
The only downside to this technology is the case of a mistaken identity. That would be a huge problem but that is a question only the experts would be able to answer. Also, I am wondering if some criminal wearing a mask to hide his facial features, would they be able to recognize them using this new technology?

don't worry. you have nothing to hide in the case of the mistaken identity unless its a mistaken identity of a cop killer.

people are so quick to give up their rights.

patriot act....

Old 07-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 10 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,742,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
You wouldn't be saying that if you had an evil twin

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City