U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 09:04 AM

511 posts, read 102,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Bathroom entrances off dining rooms are just poor planning though, but that seems a lot harder to fix in this instance.
Those are much harder to fix. It is like when the only way to get to a bedroom is by walking through a bathroom. Or when the only way to get to the kitchen is to walk through somebodies bedroom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Those are much harder to fix. It is like when the only way to get to a bedroom is by walking through a bathroom. Or when the only way to get to the kitchen is to walk through somebodies bedroom.
Looking at the video, it seems that they could have simply put the entrance to the bathroom next to the kitchen. In that case, the buyer could redo the bathroom but that is such a waste of money. I'd prefer to have the entrance to the bathroom off the the kitchen rather than the dining room if that was the only other choice.

Yeah bedrooms shouldn't be hallways.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 AM

19,073 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Not at all, but it's the NYC forum.
I'm going to move this to another forum where I think the discussion would be more robust.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2018, 09:46 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Those ugly rowhouses that I1995 hates so much did more good for the boros than anything. They built them on ugly unused lots of land. They rejuvenated life back onto the block after so much was lost. Without them there'd be no gentrification of North Brooklyn and the South Bronx.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Hello Moderator: I wanted this thread to be specific to NYC. Could you please move it back to the NYC forum?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Those ugly rowhouses that I1995 hates so much did more good for the boros than anything. They built them on ugly unused lots of land. They rejuvenated life back onto the block after so much was lost. Without them there'd be no gentrification of North Brooklyn and the South Bronx.
Here they're often built after tearing down a historic house on a larger than average lot, so the developer can build several where there was previously only one dwelling.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:34 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

Maybe, but then again maybe not.

In some parts of the Bronx and elsewhere those row houses went up on lots that once held multifamily apartment buildings. Much of that "empty" land was result of the bad days of South Bronx and elsewhere when things were torched to get at insurance money.

Rezoning and or otherwise redeveloping those areas into single family homes reduced the supply of housing. This is especially true of "affordable" or whatever apartments that South Bronx and other areas now are in desperate need.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,542,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe, but then again maybe not.

In some parts of the Bronx and elsewhere those row houses went up on lots that once held multifamily apartment buildings. Much of that "empty" land was result of the bad days of South Bronx and elsewhere when things were torched to get at insurance money.

Rezoning and or otherwise redeveloping those areas into single family homes reduced the supply of housing. This is especially true of "affordable" or whatever apartments that South Bronx and other areas now are in desperate need.
Yep! I wonder if The Bronx would be cheaper if either those original buildings survived, or if midrise apartments went back in their place.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,542,450 times
Quote:
Hello Moderator: I wanted this thread to be specific to NYC. Could you please move it back to the NYC forum?
This totally belongs in the NYC forum!

Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Some parts of the East Bronx are full of aluminum awnings over windows and doors. I'll try to get a street view later. I wonder if there are parts of Brooklyn and Queens where those are common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City