U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:08 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I think they did a good job with Spring Creek though!
Well Spring Creek is really outskirty so I think they look less out of place there. But in the South/Central Bronx and Bushwick, I find them to be an eyesore. Of course my personal architectural preferences don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I do think they're a waste of land in a city with a housing crisis, considering they replaced midrise buildings that housed way more people. I wonder if The Bronx would be more affordable if either the original buildings in the South/Central Bronx survived/and or were replaced by midrise buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:10 PM

Are these the Spring Creek ones?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6561...7i13312!8i6656

I'm not a fan, but it's more in place here than in Longwood or Mott Haven.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM

1,922 posts, read 655,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That has to do with NYC zoning laws. You can either do a short building using all of the land, or a tall thin one leaving some of the land unbuildable.

This is done because an average family has 8 kids per apartment and so you can have a storage area for the hay for your horse over winter.
Iíll take the shorter large development over random thin building

Old 07-23-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Don't be too embarassed, a lot of Bronxites (as you know) don't even use their own neighborhood names. Or they use the wrong neighborhood names. I've heard native Bronxites refer to Valentine Ave as "Kingsbridge", presumably because Kingsbridge Road is nearby. People in Wakefield and Williamsbridge often say their neighborhood is "Gun Hill".
Wakefield and Williamsbridge is also referred to as Uptown in the Bronx

Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm not familiar with Spring Creek. I remember when they infilled with these townhouses in East Harlem, probably in the mid to late 90s. I think these were affordable lottery housing (for ownership). It was an enormous improvement and really look pretty good.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8010...7i16384!8i8192
Yea the Harlem ones donít look to bad also

Old 07-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are these the Spring Creek ones?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6561...7i13312!8i6656

I'm not a fan, but it's more in place here than in Longwood or Mott Haven.
No those arenít the Spring Creek ones and I donít actually think those are part of the programs.

The Spring Creek versions are the houses that are literally located behind the mall (Gateway Mall).

Go on google maps and type in 553 Vandalia Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11239

Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 PM

I guess an area that resembles Spring Creek in another borough is maybe the deep ends of Classon Point except Classon Point has no mall!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:34 PM

9,945 posts, read 7,706,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Here they're often built after tearing down a historic house on a larger than average lot, so the developer can build several where there was previously only one dwelling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe, but then again maybe not.

In some parts of the Bronx and elsewhere those row houses went up on lots that once held multifamily apartment buildings. Much of that "empty" land was result of the bad days of South Bronx and elsewhere when things were torched to get at insurance money.

Rezoning and or otherwise redeveloping those areas into single family homes reduced the supply of housing. This is especially true of "affordable" or whatever apartments that South Bronx and other areas now are in desperate need.
There was a good 20 year gap between when the old buildings got burned down and when the Fedders replaced them. Wherever I see Fedders in Bushwick, I get the idea that it was a vacant lot of rubble between the late '70s and mid '90s. Then the Fedders rejuvenated the block. Brought some life back. Thank you Fedder. You were the first to take the risk of developing a forgotten neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Wakefield and Williamsbridge is also referred to as Uptown in the Bronx
Yeah I know. I think that would include Baychester too

Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No those arenít the Spring Creek ones and I donít actually think those are part of the programs.

The Spring Creek versions are the houses that are literally located behind the mall (Gateway Mall).

Go on google maps and type in 553 Vandalia Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11239
Those are okay. A step up from the ones in Brownsville and the South Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There was a good 20 year gap between when the old buildings got burned down and when the Fedders replaced them. Wherever I see Fedders in Bushwick, I get the idea that it was a vacant lot of rubble between the late '70s and mid '90s. Then the Fedders rejuvenated the block. Brought some life back. Thank you Fedder. You were the first to take the risk of developing a forgotten neighborhood.
The ones in The Bronx went up as early as the mid 80s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City