U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,377,010 times

Advertisements

Examples of bad taste in your neighborhood (and beyond) or in real estate listings...

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...59_rect/13_zm/

I'll start out with a pet peeve of mine -- removing all the interior walls in the main living space of an old house... There's a gorgeous wood ceiling in what is probably intended to be the dining room, but it's just floating there. They also made the entrance to the bathroom right off this room. Very unappetizing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8687...7i13312!8i6656

Another thing I hate are these tacky aluminum fences. The fences come to mind because there's another house that's being redone in the area and just put in an even uglier one (but it doesn't show up yet on street view). I don't want to stereotype, but it's often it's a certain immigrant group installing these in my neighborhood (South Asians).

If you look on the other side of the street from this street view, the whole house can be considered a questionable design choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,561,007 times
Yeah that's bizarre, such poor taste.

I hate the chrome fences too, they're common in many neighborhoods.

Are the Bengalis the ones you're referring to? Which would make sense, because Kensington has a lot of tacky chrome too.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM

You already know I hate those Nehemiah-esque rowhomes

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah that's bizarre, such poor taste.

I hate the chrome fences too, they're common in many neighborhoods.

Are the Bengalis the ones you're referring to? Which would make sense, because Kensington has a lot of tacky chrome too.
I'm pretty sure it's more than one particular nationality unfortunately.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You already know I hate those Nehemiah-esque rowhomes
They're horrible. There outta be a law! Actually the brown house next door to the one with the chrome fence went on sale a while ago and I was sure it was going to be knocked down to put as many ugly Fedder houses that can fit on the lot, but luckily the buyers just renovated instead.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 AM

19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Examples of bad taste in your neighborhood (and beyond) or in real estate listings...

I'll start out with a pet peeve of mine -- removing all the interior walls in the main living space of an old house... There's a gorgeous wood ceiling in what is probably intended to be the dining room, but it's just floating there. They also made the entrance to the bathroom right off this room. Very unappetizing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8687...7i13312!8i6656

Another thing I hate are these tacky aluminum fences. The fences come to mind because there's another house that's being redone in the area and just put in an even uglier one (but it doesn't show up yet on street view). I don't want to stereotype, but it's often it's a certain immigrant group installing these in my neighborhood (South Asians).

If you look on the other side of the street from this street view, the whole house can be considered a questionable design choice.
You think poor interior design and NYC go hand in hand?

Why do you think questionable design choices are made here specifically?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM

522 posts, read 106,962 times
Quote:

From the video it looks clean and brand new. Those are great selling features but it does lack the realness of The Bronx, and NYC pzazz. Like you mentioned this could be marketed to a certain demographic of tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You think poor interior design and NYC go hand in hand?

Why do you think questionable design choices are made here specifically?
Not at all, but it's the NYC forum.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's more than one particular nationality unfortunately.
Ah I see.

Quote:
They're horrible. There outta be a law! Actually the brown house next door to the one with the chrome fence went on sale a while ago and I was sure it was going to be knocked down to put as many ugly Fedder houses that can fit on the lot, but luckily the buyers just renovated instead.
Ugh I wish they were outlawed too lol. I hate Fedder houses too, especially when they replace nice looking houses. Those, along with the Nehemiahs, are pretty much the ugliest form of architecture that can legally exist in NYC.

If I had an obscene amount of money, I would try to buy out a bunch of Nehemiah houses and Fedders Houses in The Bronx and construct nice looking midrise apartments in their place.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
From the video it looks clean and brand new. Those are great selling features but it does lack the realness of The Bronx, and NYC pzazz. Like you mentioned this could be marketed to a certain demographic of tenants.
I don't think it's a terrible price either, and the kitchen is kind of cute. Really, it's fixable. If I were to buy it, I'd want to reconstruct the interior walls at least. Bathroom entrances off dining rooms are just poor planning though, but that seems a lot harder to fix in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City