U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM

7,592 posts, read 2,714,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Really about the 80s? I was up there a couple of years ago, looked normal to me. But I grew up near there, so maybe my perspective is different .
Part of the issue is really that there's so much foot traffic along 86th street from Lex to 3rd especially and the ENDLESS construction on 86th even on towards 2nd. The street is like third world country, so yes in and around 86th is dirty, and the street being torn up just makes it worse. Lexington in that area is also filthy and there's definitely a rat problem along Lex. I often come over from the park so if you walk up Park Avenue and see how clean and pristine the maintenance staff keep the sidewalks, then yes 3rd and Lex will look filthy. lol It does look a little better now that they repaved Lexington though.

I hope they're done with 86th street. They need to repave it already. It's been like that for years and God help you if you have nice shoes. They will definitely get destroyed on 86th or along 3rd in that area. I will say that in comparison 2nd looks REALLY nice now that the SAS is done. Clean sidewalks, lots of nice shops and restaurants. There's a few places that we frequent on Second from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:16 PM

9,977 posts, read 8,471,531 times
I live here. Not any more. The only thing that's still not very expensive are the walk up tenements on the side streets. But we're in the middle of a huge building boom, mostly very expensive condos. There are three of four big projects along 86th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, let me clarify:

Yorkville - one of the last few middle class ungentrified neighborhoods in Manhattan

Old 07-24-2018, 05:28 PM

18,324 posts, read 11,728,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Part of the issue is really that there's so much foot traffic along 86th street from Lex to 3rd especially and the ENDLESS construction on 86th even on towards 2nd. The street is like third world country, so yes in and around 86th is dirty, and the street being torn up just makes it worse. Lexington in that area is also filthy and there's definitely a rat problem along Lex. I often come over from the park so if you walk up Park Avenue and see how clean and pristine the maintenance staff keep the sidewalks, then yes 3rd and Lex will look filthy. lol It does look a little better now that they repaved Lexington though.

I hope they're done with 86th street. They need to repave it already. It's been like that for years and God help you if you have nice shoes. They will definitely get destroyed on 86th or along 3rd in that area. I will say that in comparison 2nd looks REALLY nice now that the SAS is done. Clean sidewalks, lots of nice shops and restaurants. There's a few places that we frequent on Second from time to time.
East 86th at Third or Lexington has been a filthy dump long before all that construction began. Posted a few threads about it years ago including all the rats along the latter.

Part of the issue is yes, from Lexington to Second is a major transportation and shopping corridor. Then you have fact Lex and 86th is a major "hangout" or whatever for homeless and other miscreants who litter and otherwise dirty up the place.

People open bales of newspapers put out for rubbish, and soon the wind blows them all over. Countless food trucks (that are there 24/7) aren't helping matters either.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:59 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,585,756 times
Judging from the commercial strips, I'm failing to see how even Yorkville is not gentrified. Sure it's not 100% swanky businesses, but the same is true of other neighborhoods like Chelsea and the East Village that are pretty widely accepted as being gentrified places.

But there are still a lot of nice restaurants and bars (things associated with a gentrified neigborhood), more so than places like Bushwick and Bed Stuy which are considered rapidly gentrifying

Old 07-25-2018, 06:13 AM

7,592 posts, read 2,714,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Judging from the commercial strips, I'm failing to see how even Yorkville is not gentrified. Sure it's not 100% swanky businesses, but the same is true of other neighborhoods like Chelsea and the East Village that are pretty widely accepted as being gentrified places.

But there are still a lot of nice restaurants and bars (things associated with a gentrified neigborhood), more so than places like Bushwick and Bed Stuy which are considered rapidly gentrifying
Yorkville isn't exactly a dump though. It's always been a stable solid middle to upper middle class area. Quite frankly it may not be as rich as the heart of the Upper East Side but there are people there with money. It isn't all middle class people scrapping by. In the walk-ups yes, but there are plenty of doorman buildings. Remember, it's still technically a part of the Upper East Side. Just not the wealthiest part but still no slouch.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Was the UES east of Lexington and north of 72nd wealthy in the 80s/90s or is that a recent development? I’ve seen pics of 2nd and 1st Avenues in the mid 80s and they look a lot grittier than I expected. Was also told there were a lot of Puerto Ricans especially as you got closer to 96th and the start of East Harlem

That was still very much East Harlem through the 1970's. The area began to gentrify, of sorts, with the destruction of the immense Ruppert brewery and it's replacement with the 4 residential towers making up the Ruppert development. That chased the Puerto Ricans North of 96th.

Personal story: In the '70's I was dating a guy who lived at 93rd and Madison and I would always get off the train at 86th and Lex. I thought, hey, it would be closer to get off at 96th, so I did...ONCE.
I did not feel safe at 96th and Lexington Avenue.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 AM

1,270 posts, read 285,846 times
Wow three pages of posts and all but one have alluded the implication of the original question as to the cost of living there $$

Answer: One fact about the wealthy. They never discuss money. Don't wish to invite the sketchy.
One fact about the poor. If they have a good thing going they won't share in fear of losing it.

Sounds like there is a combination of great wealth and subsidized living in these fully gentrified neighborhoods.
Apartment hunters? Go fish........

Old 07-25-2018, 10:43 PM

108 posts, read 41,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Speaking of which, there are several studios in the $1600 - 1700 range. One even looks gut renovated. I pay $1600 for my place outside of Manhattan and $1600 for the UES is a good deal:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york...65--2356069451

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/new-york...75--2174115534

This one is a share with a roommate but it has a balcony like my studio:

https://www.trulia.com/rental/403798...-York-NY-10028

73rd and 3rd is a great location. 3rd Avenue in the 60s on up to the 70s is relatively clean. It's in the 80s that it becomes rather dirty.
Believe me you wouldn’t want to live in a studio priced $1600 on UES anywhere even if those prices are correct. There must be something wrong there.
I just moved out of my studio on 87 and 3, near Whole Foods. Studios are priced $2000+ easily in my walk up building there.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 AM

18,324 posts, read 11,728,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Believe me you wouldn’t want to live in a studio priced $1600 on UES anywhere even if those prices are correct. There must be something wrong there.
I just moved out of my studio on 87 and 3, near Whole Foods. Studios are priced $2000+ easily in my walk up building there.

Oh I don't know....

First apartment listed on Trulia isn't even on the market.

Second unit listed at $1675 per month one knows that area very well. It is on Second between 76th and 77th above a store (walk-up building). There is a new pizza place on corner, a huge vacant lot across the street (don't ask). Agata and Valentina is two blocks up (79th), and there are some good bars from 78th right on down Second to 72nd.

This apartment is RS, so the reduction in rent may be a preferred lease, in which case I'd watch out.

Otherwise unit is typical of Yorkville walk-up apartments above retail you find all along Lexington, Third, Second, First, York and East End.

There is plenty of good shopping (including a nice True Value/Rainbow hardware) store a few blocks south. You'll also find more bars, shops and whatever on Second or First avenue.

Bad news is the place is still a hike from Lexington avenue subway. SAS stop is several blocks north and one block west at 83rd and Second.

https://www.agorafy.com/property/243...ville-New-York#

As apartments and buildings go, I've seen better, I've seen worse.

I've seen much better, I've seen much worse.

I've seen much more better, I've seen much more worse....

Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
THe UES gentrified after they covered over the Park Avenue Rail lines were covered and trains electrified, circa WW1.

It was where the REAL gentry went and built marble palaces, not like the so-called hipster-gentrifier of today who has barely more than a pot to **** in and spends half his income on a Brooklyn 1-bedroom apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or