Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, that's sad. I was wondering if she was still alive. It was a great article to read. I love reading up on "old time New York". Reading that article reminded me of a book series I read back in elementary school. The All in a Kind Family book series by Sydney Taylor about a Jewish family growing up on the UES at the turn of the century. I wondered if that was Yorkville.

IIRC the late Mrs. Jacobs was at or over 100 when interviewed. She would qualify for record books were she still living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 05:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Keeping with the 1930's think of difference between Mrs. Stephen Haines, and Crystal Allen.

I would still think of Mary as living on Park or Fifth avenue in the Eighties, or Seventies and Crystal commuting to Bloomingdales from her apartment in Queens at least until she hooked Stephen.

Think of the Warburg Mansion (Jewish Museum), the Carnegie Mansion (cooper Hewirtt Museum,) the Frick Residence. That area of the 80's and even 90's was very much the core of the New York demi-monde for all of the 20th Century.

So the "ladies from the eighties" had dichotomies between rich and poor sluts.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:35 PM

15,830 posts, read 14,469,933 times
The UES isn't getting killed, the old money Park/Fifth Avenue coops now just have competition, and that competition is easier to deal with. In a coop (especially new construction) a buyer just pays their money and buy's the apartment. No getting put through the ringer by a coop board.

There are plenty of new construction condos on the UES. None of them are cheap. And they must be selling because they keep going up.

It would be nice to see the tax laws change so that buildings could convert from coops to condos without the owners getting killed on taxes.

Quote:
While never will totally become irrelevant, the UES certainly has and will continue to fall out of favor as younger generations "with money" want something different than those white glove restricted co-op buildings.

We left out that other area big with "new money" Gramercy Park.

Was down that way for a meeting last week and walked from Park Avenue South over to Third for the bus uptown and forgotten how nice area around the park/Irving Place is; can see how money has rediscovered the place.

Back on topic; between tons of new luxury condo development, and or move into brownstones/townhouses below 34th street, the old money world of UES co-ops are getting killed.

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...-op-conundrum/

People have or are also buying up those old brownstones/townhouses in Yorkville and converting them back into single family homes. So they get the best of both worlds; access to what UES offers, but not with the issues that come with trying to get into a white glove co-op. Plus on a square foot basis townhouse will give more space, even if it is spread out on several floors.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The UES isn't getting killed, the old money Park/Fifth Avenue coops now just have competition, and that competition is easier to deal with. In a coop (especially new construction) a buyer just pays their money and buy's the apartment. No getting put through the ringer by a coop board.

There are plenty of new construction condos on the UES. None of them are cheap. And they must be selling because they keep going up.

It would be nice to see the tax laws change so that buildings could convert from coops to condos without the owners getting killed on taxes.

You mean UES new construction "condos", not co-ops.

Also condo approval process can be every bit intrusive as a white glove co-op, it merely depends up on how the board wants things done.

Co-op living isn't dead yet, on UES or elsewhere. https://therealdeal.com/2018/08/09/n...ts-gone-wrong/

There is something to be said for knowing who one lives among rather than the easy comings and goings of many condo buildings. I mean you just don't now who people are do you?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Yes, I think I used that correctly later on.

Developers don't care, they'll sell to anyone that has the money. Operating Condos may care, but they also may have a lot of investor owners who DON'T want the board being too intrusive. My sister lived in one of these. She got on the board and wanted to cut down on the renter population. She promptly got slammed.

And, yes, there are still more coops than condos. I'm the president of my coop. The big issue is making sure buyers can pay the maintenance. Since coops generally have an underlying mortgage, too many deadbeats can threaten everyone in the building. I bet a lot of coops would go condo if the tax rules weren't so onerous about doing so.

Quote:
You mean UES new construction "condos", not co-ops.

Also condo approval process can be every bit intrusive as a white glove co-op, it merely depends up on how the board wants things done.

Co-op living isn't dead yet, on UES or elsewhere. https://therealdeal.com/2018/08/09/n...ts-gone-wrong/

There is something to be said for knowing who one lives among rather than the easy comings and goings of many condo buildings. I mean you just don't now who people are do you?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Were any of the really Grand co-ops, like River House and The Dakota, actually built as co-ops or were they all converted at a later date?

Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Were any of the really Grand co-ops, like River House and The Dakota, actually built as co-ops or were they all converted at a later date?

Some were built/opened as co-ops, others as rentals and converted later.

The Dakota didn't convert to cooperative apartments until 1961. The River House went co-op in 1948.

The Ansonia was built as a residential hotel (for the wealthy), as were a few others. It then became rental apartments then finally a condo. The Dorilton was rentals until 1984 when it too went co-op.

Back in the 1980's there was a wave of co-op conversions, especially of older pre-war apartment buildings. While this was going on all over NYC the UES and UWS were prime territory. Landlords simply saw conversions as a way to get out from under NYC/NYS rent control laws.

https://cooperator.com/article/the-c...e-century/full

Some of this angst was quite just. You had all sorts of wealthy or otherwise well off (and famous) persons living in RC or RS apartments paying very little (comparatively) rent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.9e7bb4851519

As Sunset Nears for Rent Control Law, Big Apple Tenants Grow Edgy - latimes

Mia Farrow was living in a huge pre-war building at CPW and 73rd (the Langham) that she "inherited" via the mother.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Help me out with this seeming paradox:

Quote:
On 9 February 1951,Garbo became a naturalized citizen of the United States and, in 1953, bought a seven-room apartment at 450 East 52nd Street in Manhattan, New York City, The Campanile, where she lived for the rest of her life.

and

Quote:
Features & Amenities of The Campanile
Quote:
  • Conversion Year: 1988

Can we assume Greta Garbo lived for 35 years as a rent controlled tenant in one of the finest buildings in the City only to buy in the last few years of her life.
The lady liked purple.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...rbo-apartment/

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-15-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 PM

I highly doubt that the building was ever a rental. Note that it says she BOUGHT the apartment in 1953.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Help me out with this seeming paradox:

and

Can we assume Greta Garbo lived for 35 years as a rent controlled tenant in one of the finest buildings in the City only to buy in the last few years of her life.
The lady liked purple.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...rbo-apartment/

Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I highly doubt that the building was ever a rental. Note that it says she BOUGHT the apartment in 1953.

Campanile Apartments were built in 1927 (on sight of Mayfair Yacht Club), so like the River House just to north, it is highly likely place was a rental until it converted into co-op at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City