Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is a load of **** because you're assuming that most "hipsters" and "yuppies" are somehow prosperous. They're not significantly different than the general population in terms of their cross section in the labor pool.

Their difference lies in a change in culture among American youth. Those from Generation Y and Z do not get married or have children while in their 20's or early 30's. They do not have mortgages. They do not have car notes. They do not have pension funds. They're less apt to live in the suburbs as one generally needs to acquire a car note and a mortgage for that and beyond that what good is suburban living if you aren't married or have kids?

That is why they have no problem giving away half or more of their income on rent on the other half on living in a high COL area such as NYC. \ Most hipsters and yuppies aren't prosperous. They're only real obligations are simply rent and food and that is where most of their net income goes.

This isn't only a hipster/yuppie phenomenon but a cultural phenomenon of which the hipster/yuppies are a past of (more so hipsters). If you don't have kids and don't plan on having kids in the short-medium term then spending insane amounts on rent/food/daily living seem fine. Same goes for marriage or acquiring property or paying cash for a new car or any number of other traditional financial/life decisions that signaled adulthood.

I'm not saying this is good or bad it's just the reality.

Take a look at : http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/CRC/crc2010.pdf
That income that used to go to raising children now goes to pay rent and $10 sandwiches.
I don't care if 80% of their monthly income goes towards rent or $10 sandwiches. They can spend THEIR money however they like it. You are totally missing my point.

If you had to choose between the ghetto/gritty NY, where thugs, hoodrats, pimps, drug dealers, gang members, etc, roam free to do as they please, and the current NY where crime is at an all time low, streets are clean and orderly, you don't see ghetto people loitering outside or sitting on stoops, or trying to clean your car windshield, no graffiti vandalism, no empty liquor bottles, no dog poop in the streets, etc. which would you pick?

I'd pick the current NY over the old gritty NY anytime. If you want the old gritty NY, move to Philly! I heard Philly's got exactly what you are looking for.

Hipsters and yuppies were the pioneers of this gentrification movement. They helped transition NY from the ghetto ish hole it was to a clean desirable place to live. Stop hating already.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
"Arglebarglegroggledy you're either a yupster or a hoodrat those are the only choices graggldybroggldyboogle!!"

Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM

359 posts, read 329,454 times
haha yeah thats kinda how I feel after reading too far into this thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I don't care if 80% of their monthly income goes towards rent or $10 sandwiches. They can spend THEIR money however they like it. You are totally missing my point.

If you had to choose between the ghetto/gritty NY, where thugs, hoodrats, pimps, drug dealers, gang members, etc, roam free to do as they please, and the current NY where crime is at an all time low, streets are clean and orderly, you don't see ghetto people loitering outside or sitting on stoops, or trying to clean your car windshield, no graffiti vandalism, no empty liquor bottles, no dog poop in the streets, etc. which would you pick?

I'd pick the current NY over the old gritty NY anytime. If you want the old gritty NY, move to Philly! I heard Philly's got exactly what you are looking for.

Hipsters and yuppies were the pioneers of this gentrification movement. They helped transition NY from the ghetto ish hole it was to a clean desirable place to live. Stop hating already.
You should go read up on some NYC history because it's clear that you seem to believe that NYC history revolves around the late 70's and 80's.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"Arglebarglegroggledy you're either a yupster or a hoodrat those are the only choices graggldybroggldyboogle!!"
I think this is how a lot of yuppies and hipsters really feel/think. That before them NYC was Somalia and that they've somehow enlightened the natives.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 PM

248 posts, read 288,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post

I concur. I take hipsters over ghetto at any time.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
I concur. I take hipsters over ghetto at any time.
The ghetto's haven't disappeared. They've just moved. This is what hipsters/transplants/yuppies don't realize because they don't know the history of NYC. NYC's lifeblood is immigrants and immigrants tend to be poor.

The economic ecosystem in NYC is complex and poverty plays a central role in it. It always has and if NYC is to remain NYC, it always will.

While hipsters and yuppies think they can change NYC, all they are is a conduit to maintain NYC's historical norms. I'm not a big fan of Bloomberg but if you listen to his speeches he knows the deal and acknowledges as much. In this respect he's been a great Mayor because he's been great with extracting money from Hipsters/Yuppies in order to give NYC what it needs.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 AM

87 posts, read 236,240 times
people...people....this isn't an issue about hipsters or yuppies. it's a white, black issue. when you say hipster - you picture a white guy. when you say bad neighborhood - you picture black guy. that's a fact.

why would anyone care if a "hipster" moves in? what if black hipsters were moving into black neighborhoods? nothing would happen. if white hipsters move into the same hoods - houston, we have a problem.

it's called racism people. if i take my a** into the poorest white neighborhood (i'm white, duh) - i'll be greeted with open arms. If i take my a** into a poor black neighborhood - i'm not wanted.

go figure.

i'm so sick of hearing "real ny" and "gritty" all that crap.
it's about crime, or no crime.
do you want crime?
do you not want crime?

for crying out loud.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Is the Brooklyn Artisanal Movement a Step Forward for Food? -- New York Magazine

Read the above link about the artisnal hand crafted movement in gentrified Brooklyn.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 AM

455 posts, read 651,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfonow View Post
people...people....this isn't an issue about hipsters or yuppies. it's a white, black issue. when you say hipster - you picture a white guy. when you say bad neighborhood - you picture black guy. that's a fact.

why would anyone care if a "hipster" moves in? what if black hipsters were moving into black neighborhoods? nothing would happen. if white hipsters move into the same hoods - houston, we have a problem.

it's called racism people. if i take my a** into the poorest white neighborhood (i'm white, duh) - i'll be greeted with open arms. If i take my a** into a poor black neighborhood - i'm not wanted.

go figure.

i'm so sick of hearing "real ny" and "gritty" all that crap.
it's about crime, or no crime.
do you want crime?
do you not want crime?

for crying out loud.
AMEN!! Hipsters is a clothing trend similar to hippies, yuppies, urban wear, etc. It will be replace by something else. The issue will also be people being envious towards each other. Racism, Sexism, Ageism, sexual orientation, religion, intelligence level, etc. Pick a reason to hate!!!

I don't understand why humans need to divide themselves in so trivial ways. Sorry, we are all humans. Now, if you have superpowers then i would understand the need to classify/distinguish each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City