U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,058,904 times

Advertisements

Your point is valid Cyrus, and echoes the sentiment of many.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM

5,108 posts, read 11,945,633 times
Quote:
You are contradicting yourself! You can't have it both ways. You can't say it's unfair to stereotype Dominicans, but that's its okay to stereotype other people.
Not other people. Yuppies are not a race. They are a group of people who are basically carbon copies of each other. So it is fair to generalize them and not generalize whole ethinicities.

However, there are exceptions to generalizing. Like when you have overwhelming facts to back you up. You will see what I mean later.

Quote:
Wow SuperWario...so now Dominicans are "better" than PRs, Mexicans, and Hipsters/Yuppies...they are really "good people so its unfair to generalize them like that." I am glad you made the hypocracy so blatant...don't stereotype Dominicans...but everyone else...go right ahead!

Nice job.
Listen there are plenty of bad Dominicans. I have been over that ad nauseum. But to deny that Blacks and Puerto Ricans play a larger role in the criminal activities of the city is to deny the facts. Face it. Im not too sure about our latino brothers, Mexicans in NYC, but they sure make us latinos famous in LA, huh?

Quote:
Tell me this Super Wario, how many Puerto Rican members of the american armed forces, like my cousin, have died on foreign soil protecting and preserving the freedoms that Dominicanos in this country? MANY

How many Puerto Rican members of law enforcement died protecting the populace from the crime wave that accompanied the "dominicano" drug trade in the last twenty years? MANY

How many Domincanos died in either instance? FEW So........by extension what good do you speak of the dominicanos doing?
LOL...you make me laugh. Puerto Ricans may have members in the armed forces but what do you expect, they have been here for a while and represent the 2nd largest hispanic group in the US.

The Dominican drug trade? lol......who do you think took them under their wings? You people. Puerto Rican drug lords took immigrant Dominicans and made them do their dirty work. As the Dominican number rose, they began to overtake the ricans. That is what you have in the Heights and the West Bronx. But there are a HELL of a lot more Puerto Ricans selling drugs than Dominicans. Who do you think is providing for Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, E Tremont, Hunts Point, Soundview, E Harlem, ENY and Bushwick? Puerto Ricans dont have that drug dealing rep because people have gotten used to them doing that and they are too busy being criminals. Trust me they are just as bad. Also in the 70's what did you have in the Bronx? Nothing. Puerto Ricans and blacks did nothing for the community. Today, the Bronx is safer.

Facts

The west Bronx, which has the largest DR population in the Bronx had lower crime rates than PR strongholds in the south and central Bronx.

Washington Heights and Inwood had a crime rate similar to the UWS last year, despite being almost all Dominican.

East Harlem had the highest crime rate in Manhattan, another PR strong hold.

ENY and Bushwick are among the worst hoods in Brooklyn.....large PR numbers.

I have read that 1 out of ever 3 NYC PR male has been incarcerated at one point in their lives.

PR are the group who relies most on government assistant.

Despite being here for much longer, Puerto Ricans on average are poorer than Dominicans.

Second generation Dominicans have higher graduation rates than Puerto Ricans.

Facts are facts. Dominicans have to be more careful in commiting crimes because they get deported in an instant. Puerto Ricans have no such worries, being that they are citizens, so they commit crimes at will. You would think that after 60 years of being in this country Puerto Ricans would be like the Italians. Much better off now than when they first came. But tell me why everywhere that has a large # of Dominicans, is safer than Puerto Rican neighborhoods? Dominicans do have problems selling drugs. But thats as far as they get. Puerto Ricans are worse. THAT IS FACT!

So dont blame my people for **** that your people have been doing in this country for 60 years and have helped create a criminal culture for Dominicans.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM

SuperWario...the debate over which group is worse is about as silly as the debate over which STD you would like to have gonorrhea vs chlamydia....they are both BAD and that's all anyone cares about. People always need someone to blame for their problems, and someone else to look down on so that they can feel good knowing "at least I am not them."

Thanks for continuing the nonsensical hate, and promoting divisions between the groups, and now Hipsters too, instead of bringing them together. It is a shame to hear that in 2008 the same rhetoric, and nonsense being spewed....seems like the more things change....the more things do stay the same.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperWario...the debate over which group is worse is about as silly as the debate over which STD you would like to have gonorrhea vs chlamydia....they are both BAD and that's all anyone cares about. People always need someone to blame for their problems, and someone else to look down on so that they can feel good knowing "at least I am not them."

Thanks for continuing the nonsensical hate, and promoting divisions between the groups, and now Hipsters too, instead of bringing them together. It is a shame to hear that in 2008 the same rhetoric, and nonsense being spewed....seems like the more things change....the more things do stay the same.
Fair enough. But I am not the one who started the false accusations and finger pointing. I am merely responding to that senseless post.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Yes..but by continuing the false accusations, finger pointing, and nonsense..you are making things worse...if anything Dominicans and PRs are FAR more the same socially, culturally, politically, with similar values and history. We are the same!

Nonetheless...let's get back to those darn Hipsters. I saw a couple in my neighborhood recently and it seems strange to me and kinda makes me confused. Of course I did not even know anyone that was white until I went to HS...and I found them all so strange and fascinating..kinda like an Alien.

I don't foresee any great influx of Hipsters in my particular corner of Mott Haven, nonetheless, I do see the scouts more often these days...I swear they seem to be on an undercover mission and reporting back to the troops!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 PM

7,903 posts, read 13,941,727 times
Quote:
Yes..but by continuing the false accusations, finger pointing, and nonsense..you are making things worse...if anything Dominicans and PRs are FAR more the same socially, culturally, politically, with similar values and history. We are the same!

Nonetheless...let's get back to those darn Hipsters. I saw a couple in my neighborhood recently and it seems strange to me and kinda makes me confused. Of course I did not even know anyone that was white until I went to HS...and I found them all so strange and fascinating..kinda like an Alien.

I don't foresee any great influx of Hipsters in my particular corner of Mott Haven, nonetheless, I do see the scouts more often these days...I swear they seem to be on an undercover mission and reporting back to the troops!
Meh, they probably were lost and took the wrong train or something.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Yeah I figured that too..they have this wide-eyed look...that seems to be shock more than anything else....so I am really not that worried about the Hipsters taking over Mott Haven anytime soon.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:03 PM

10,363 posts, read 18,828,395 times
Quote:
Ouch..idiot invasion? I was understanding your comments about the lack of culture that may accompany the Hipsters....but you did a great disservice to your credibility with the "idiot invasion" comment.
GWAC, i am not disagreeing with anything you have said so far....but the day you get priced out of mott haven, please go back to this thread for reference. and maybe then, you will understand the sentiments of some on this forum.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Well for the record I find prices to be completely out of wack ESPECIALLY in places like Mott Haven where prices WERE pegged to the amount of income the home would generate, and not on the "fabulousness/trendiness/safety/luxury premium that many neighborhoods had. However, that has changed and now there are premiums on Mott Haven homes, and the prices are no longer tied to income...so the fact remains that if I were to buy into Mott Haven in 2008 I AM, for all intents and purposes, already priced out. Although I can LIVE in many other areas in the city, the only place I can AFFORD to live, in the lifestyle I desire, is in Mott Haven.

I am painfully aware of what is occuring, and I am also well aware that Hipsters are an easy target for blame, but are in no way the problem....anymore than people of color moving into a white community are the cause of their deterioration/destruction.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
GWAC, i am not disagreeing with anything you have said so far....but the day you get priced out of mott haven, please go back to this thread for reference. and maybe then, you will understand the sentiments of some on this forum.
Beautiful Seventh.....you phrased it perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City