U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,223,703 times
I don't dig the ultra tight colored jeans but overall the recent trends are an improvement over the white tee, doorag, and huge baggy jeans look.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM

2,978 posts, read 852,826 times
Agreed NooYowker..the urban wear has been stale for far too long....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM

110 posts, read 245,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hmm....retro kids ay...please explain....
dressing like melle mel circa 1981

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM

110 posts, read 245,048 times
Quote:
MOTT HAVEN UPDATE:

-I was outbid on a single family house in the Longwood section (borders North-East Mott Haven) by a white lesbian couple! I saw them moving in...and needless to say...the crew cuts and army boots were a dead giveaway.
-The same day (Saturday) there were three fairly raggedy white youths (approximately 22 years old) each with hoodies over their heads going to the local bodega for some items...I have never seen them before in the area and I guess these are the Hipsters everyone speaks of. I had no opinion other than complete shock..as even I am not used to seeing new faces in the community.

I have already spread the word in the community and these were generally the responses:

-Lesbians received a warm welcome overall.... "I would rather live next to lesbians than fags....maybe they will bring more of their girls around" was the general vibe.
-The Hipsters were more ambiguous response. "Who cares" and "Aha"...were generally the reactions...I think that's because the residents around here have no concept of what a Hipster is other than the fact that they were white.

That's my report.
Never had a problem with my sapphic sisters. Seemed like we had a steady stream of them doing their bit with HCLC during the early and mid-90's. They were the "broken windows" theory personified.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,517 times
Quote:
Thread after thread is the same old story: "Hipsters" ruining the city, "Yuppies" driving out the innocent, hardworking families, and middle America white folks moving in and "white washing" communities.

Why are so many painting these people as the "problem" with this city, yet seemingly provide a free pass to all the thugs, hoodlums, and wanna-be gangstas that are the REAL problem in NYC? As of late the popular people to despise are these groups, who are NOT involved in crime, who are NOT dependant on welfare/government programs, who are NOT the ones littering, destroying property, or vandalizing, who are NOT hanging out attacking people or otherwise making communities unsafe, etc.

These people are simply bringing mainstream American values back into many communities that had NONE, providing new investments, and new attention onto these communities. They have just as much right to live in these communities as the 3 generation welfare recipients that have a stranglehold on many areas.

So I ask...who is the real problem? And why such disdain for these people...because they are different? Have different needs/desires that do not mesh with you? Because you believe they are evil and out to get you? Please help me understand the seemingly acceptable hate towards these groups.
First of all you can't lump everyone into one category. I was born and raised on the lower east side and there are plenty of families that are good and decent people that live there. Not everyone in that area are "thugs, hoodlums, and wanna-be gangstas". Like you, I do not condone their actions nor do plenty of people in my neighborhood. There has never been any problems with "Hipsters" in our neighborhood, personally I see them as one of us. The reason we feel disdain towards "Yuppies" is because they have an air of "SELF ENTITLEMENT". When Yuppies move into the neighborhood the neighborhood changes so that the old businesses can't survive because now rents are three times higher than they were before, when Yuppies move into the neighborhood they have no respect for the old timers that live in that neighborhood, when yuppies move into a neighborhood the apartments are no longer affordable.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM

6,855 posts, read 11,271,172 times
This thread has gotten long but I see it's still going . . and going.

I can't even remember if I posted in it before, but I just wanted to say that today I went from my un-hip neighborhood in Queens over to Astoria to do an errand, and immediately encountered hipsters. This particular brand was young men with the trucker-style thick beard going on. Is it trucker-style? Or camper-style? Woodsman? I really don't know. It just doesn't seem appropriate for the city.

I don't hate hipsters. . .they just annoy me. Yuppies don't annoy me because at least I feel their behavior is less of an act. They make money and want to spend it - I have no problem with that.

I just don't get the point of dressing trucker-style. It feels like an act.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,223,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This thread has gotten long but I see it's still going . . and going.

I can't even remember if I posted in it before, but I just wanted to say that today I went from my un-hip neighborhood in Queens over to Astoria to do an errand, and immediately encountered hipsters. This particular brand was young men with the trucker-style thick beard going on. Is it trucker-style? Or camper-style? Woodsman? I really don't know. It just doesn't seem appropriate for the city.

I don't hate hipsters. . .they just annoy me. Yuppies don't annoy me because at least I feel their behavior is less of an act. They make money and want to spend it - I have no problem with that.

I just don't get the point of dressing trucker-style. It feels like an act.
trucker style, lol, that's an interesting way of describing it...

Here's a funny article on hipsters, and it includes a pic of the "trucker-style."

Todd P Explains It All: Hipster Is a Seven-Letter Word -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 852,826 times
Ahh...so that is the infamous hipster look. They seem pretty average to me...I hardly seem them as out of place or somehow not fitting into the city lifestyle.

Clopez....I have never asserted that whole throngs of people, people of color specifically, are all gangstas, hoodlums, or whatever. What I have said is that many people tend to despise the Hipsters and spend as much time as they can shunning their lifestyle and poo-pooing it as somehow reflective of a lack of substance and anything remotely "real." However, those same people, who are purportedly from the city, have NO outcry towards the overwhelming number of drug dealers, thugs, and hoodlums that infest and hold hostage numerous communities in the city. As someone from the city, clearly these gangsta wanna-be's, 3 generation welfare recipients, and thugs are far more detrminetal to NYC, and have had a far more detrimental impact on the health and well being of generations of NYers than the relatively recent phenomenon of the Hipster invasion...yet there is little outcry against these hoodrats and criminals in the making. Why is that? Why are you not spending your time on the real problems that have been ailing this city for over 30 years...but instead choose to target your anger, disgust, or hostility towards a bunch of kids that may or may not be "real" enough for you?

Hypocricy along with misplaced anger clearly is to blame IMO.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM

6,855 posts, read 11,271,172 times
That picture did not look like the guys I was describing. Not sure if I can find the exact photo I want, but check this guy (on the left) Beards on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizziechen/2451724427/ - broken link)

or Bearded hipster box contest! on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefuturistics/2221143240/ - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM

473 posts, read 1,134,461 times
Default and the winner is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That picture did not look like the guys I was describing. Not sure if I can find the exact photo I want, but check this guy (on the left) Beards on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizziechen/2451724427/ - broken link)

or Bearded hipster box contest! on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefuturistics/2221143240/ - broken link)
this guy would have won the contest. woohoo
http://n4n4n.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/hipster.49105855_std.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City