Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The neighborhoods I mentioned, were indeed, save by the hipster/yuppies.

See it happens like this.
This is especially true in Williamsburg and LES.

1) A struggling 'creative type' can only afford X amount, and wants to be close to the action. He has limited options, so he decides to move to the 'hood' (ie; picture Williamsburg in the early 80's)

2) Copy-cats and posers follow the creative type, thus, increasing the noticeability of the neighborhood.

3) New business start to open to cater to the newcomers.

4) New developments start popin' up around the neighborhood.

5)The yuppester (a more affluent kind of hispter) moves in, significantly increasing demand for housing in the area.

6)The original ghetto types that populated the place start to get priced out, or incentivized to move out.

7)The Yuppies move in, sealing the deal and completing the transition from a former ghetto to a newly desirable neighborhood.

Yes, that's exactly how it happens. I personally see nothing wrong with that. However, I don't understand why people like Anon find something wrong with that. Remember...the place was a sh*t hole before yuppies moved in and cleaned it up. Why is that a bad thing? Please explain yourself.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM

248 posts, read 288,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1;[color=violet
23915152[/color] (tel:23915152 - broken link)]Notice he didn't talk about Williamsburg... Comprehension is key here college grad... He spoke about the misconception that areas like Greenpoint and Astoria were dumps before the hipsters got here... Obviously that wasn't the case...
What's the difference? Do you think there was any before 1990?
Both Williamburg and Greenpoint where dumps, unsafe and falling apart.
I remember the deli on the corner of Manhattan and Nassau being robbed weekly

Of course yuppies saved both Greenpoint and Williamsburg (Northside/Bedford). The locals first made a killing on rents and restaurants then sold the properties for millions to developers.

Of course yuppies and hipsters saved both Greenpoint and Williamsburg.
Polish community moved out to Ridgewood which become a quite nice area of Queens. Same happened to Polish community in lower Manhattan, same happened to Italians in Little Italy. That's life.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yes the Greeks/Italians/Middle Easterners/South Americans in Astoria and the working class Poles in Greenpoint were heroically saved by the influx of Capt Yuppie and his brave legion of foodies...
@ hilltopjay your skill at avoiding questions numerous posters have asked you really is an art... But since you started this game I'll answer your question when you answer the question posed by this post...

When were astoria or greenpoint ever considered hood?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
What's the difference? Do you think there was any before 1990?
Both Williamburg and Greenpoint where dumps, unsafe and falling apart.
I remember the deli on the corner of Manhattan and Nassau being robbed weekly

Of course yuppies saved both Greenpoint and Williamsburg (Northside/Bedford). The locals first made a killing on rents and restaurants then sold the properties for millions to developers.

Of course yuppies and hipsters saved both Greenpoint and Williamsburg.
Polish community moved out to Ridgewood which become a quite nice area of Queens. Same happened to Polish community in lower Manhattan, same happened to Italians in Little Italy. That's life.
Poles didn't just move to Ridgewood they concentrated on Maspeth and mainly are along the Maspeth/Glendale border in Ridgewood... With that said... What do we have to go by on your assessment that Greenpoint was hood? You're supposed claim that you got robbed 52 times a year (just going by the math you gave us by saying you got robbed weekly)

I didn't realize Greenpoint was that hood back in the 90s... Those Poles were something else back then...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[color=violet
23915284[/color] (tel:23915284 - broken link)]
Yups are not generally working class. And I have nothing against "gainful employment or college education".
I though that "young urban professional" implies both gainful employment and college education. Was I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Here, I made something for you though:
Nice. Let me guess: fifth grade?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
I though that "young urban professional" implies both gainful employment and college education. Was I wrong?
The only thing I've really commented on here is that yupsters didn't "save" Greenpoint or Astoria. Yet for some reason you intend on taking that as me saying "college and employment are bad mmmmkay". So take a breath and reassess what you're coming at me about.

Quote:
Nice. Let me guess: fifth grade?
"Office Space"

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1;[color=violet
23917232[/color] (tel:23917232 - broken link)]Poles didn't just move to Ridgewood they concentrated on Maspeth and mainly are along the Maspeth/Glendale border in Ridgewood... With that said...
Maspeth has been Polish long before Greenpoint got gentrified. Poor Poles from Greenpoint moved mostly to Ridgewood, the house owners and more affluent Poles stayed in Greenpoint or moved anywhere else, from SI to LI and NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
What do we have to go by on your assessment that Greenpoint was hood? You're supposed claim that you got robbed 52 times a year (just going by the math you gave us by saying you got robbed weekly)
I lived there most of my life and there are stats showing crime in all five boros and neighborhoods. Do some digging before you open your mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I didn't realize Greenpoint was that hood back in the 90s... Those Poles were something else back then...
New York City in general was something else back then. Compare crime stats from 1990 and 2010 and you will know the difference.

Why do so many of people who open their mouth about New York have both no clue what NYC was about 20 years ago and no desire to dig for stats and info to correct that?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[URL="tel:[color=violet
23917376[/color] (tel:23917376 - broken link)"]23917376 (tel:23917376 - broken link)[/url]]The only thing I've really commented on here is that yupsters didn't "save" Greenpoint or Astoria.
Yes they did. I remember Greenpoint from 1990. Astoria was getting overrun by poor Hispanics and was not much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[URL="tel:23917376"
23917376 (tel:23917376 - broken link)[/url]]
Yet for some reason you intend on taking that as me saying "college and employment are bad mmmmkay". So take a breath and reassess what you're coming at me about.
Well. You seem to hold a grudge against yuppies, i.e. young urban professionals, so I am simply asking what exactly irks you about them: the fact that they are young, urban or employed as professionals according to the definition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[URL="tel:23917376"
23917376 (tel:23917376 - broken link)[/url]]
"Office Space"
That's where you get your knowledge about life?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
Crime in every single area in new york and a large portion of the country has dramatically declined. And it has a huge amount to do with the end of the crack era.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[URL="tel:23917518"
23917518 (tel:23917518 - broken link)[/url]]Crime in every single area in new york and a large portion of the country has dramatically declined. And it has a huge amount to do with the end of the crack era.
Right, right. And it has nothing to do with gentrification of some previously undesirable areas of the city. It just happened. See Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City