U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,338,769 times

Advertisements

Im a Unionportian or Unionporter if Im from Unionport ? Castle Hiller or Castle Hillian ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM

6,989 posts, read 6,527,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Nice for me because I know very little about the Bronx outside of Riverdale, Botanical Gardens, the Zoo and BJ's. In this shi*storm of weather it is easier to explore the Bronx in my nice cool living room than walking around sweltering.
I was around your way yesterday cause I went to Cherry Valley and picked me up a sandwich, then I took the SAS to do more grocery shopping. They’ve got fresh strawberries for $1 at the cart on 97th & 2nd

Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,904,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
It's funny how certain words can just soften up everything.

I noticed a lot real estate agents trying to rebrand bad neighborhoods using "Gardens."

"Girl, you live in Brownsville?!"

"Hell no, girl. I'm in Brownsville Gardens."

"Ooooohh... girl, that sounds nice."

Introducing the NEW "South Bronx" Gardens. Revitalized neighborhoods such as Piano District, Lower / Upper Mott Haven Proper, Hunters Point Estates, Morrisania Village and Melrose Manor.

Boom, problem solved. Watch the housing stock SELL!!!
LMAO @ Brownsville Gardens... The day that happens we're all doomed. The Piano District while a bit corny does actually underline the history of Mott Haven. The area was quite industrial and known for producing pianos.

This is very cool though:

"During the middle of the 19th century, immigrants, mostly of German descent, migrated to the neighborhood and brought their crafts, skills and trades with them, transforming it into a center of industry.

Many immigrants opened their own businesses in the area.

It was during this time that piano manufacturing became very prominent in the neighborhood, particularly in the 1880s.

By the early 1900s, with piano manufacturing companies such as the Estey Piano & Organ Company, located in the present day Clocktower Building, Beethoven Pianos, Kroeger Pianos and the Doll Piano Factory, among other manufacturers, the area of Mott Haven and Port Morris became known as the ‘Piano Capital of the United States’, according to Bronx Historical Society historian Lloyd Ultan."

https://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2016...-01-22-bx.html

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM

1,486 posts, read 819,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
What they don't use it's their borough! LOL
Nah, they not from the Bronx. they from Riverdale.

Quote:
So true. lol

I'm one of the few Bronxites that actually use neighborhoods for the most part.

More often than not, if I ask someone "what part of the Bronx are you from?" They answer with a street name or number.

Gun Hill <-- Most popular.
Findlay
Near 161 <--- My favorite lol.

On the flip side, more often than not, when I say I "I live in Mott Haven" --- crickets.
"I live right by the Hub." --- crickets.
"147th." --- "Oh, I know where that is!"

There's no true identity.

The Top 3 neighborhoods that have an sort of identity are Riverdale, Parkchester and Co-Op City. That's it. Everything is Bronx, South Bronx or Gun Hill.
Im guilty of that lol. Its easier to just say im near Yankee Stadium than say I live in Fleetwood or Concourse Village. I use to think Concourse Village was just those white buildings behind Concourse Plaza but now im hearing Concourse Village is the area between Park Ave and Grand Concourse from 149th all the way up 169th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
City Island, Throggs Neck, Woodlawn and Country Club as well are well known. Riverdale is least associated with the Bronx. I've heard people say it's in Manhattan or Westchester. They don't seem to quite know where it is. lol It also doesn't help that almost everything north of Inwood is lumped in as being Riverdale when it isn't.
Marble Hill what?? Spuyten who?? lol. those areas don't exist lol.

I didn't even know Kingsbridge was west of the Deegan. When I was living on Fordham I thought Kingsbridge was where the 4 train station was on Kingsbridge road lol.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

Im guilty of that lol. Its easier to just say im near Yankee Stadium than say I live in Fleetwood or Concourse Village. I use to think Concourse Village was just those white buildings behind Concourse Plaza but now im hearing Concourse Village is the area between Park Ave and Grand Concourse from 149th all the way up 169th.

I didn't even know Kingsbridge was west of the Deegan. When I was living on Fordham I thought Kingsbridge was where the 4 train station was on Kingsbridge road lol.
Marble Hill is its own neighborhood though very tiny. Spuyten Duyvil is subsection of Riverdale, the very southern part of Riverdale to be exact. Only those who actually live in Riverdale will clarify where in Riverdale they live and say for example Spuyten Duyvil if they talking with a fellow Riverdalian. To outsiders they will simply say Riverdale as it makes things easier. Spuyten Duyvil is hard to pronounce and spell for non locals as it is a Dutch word. Fieldston is also treated like a separate neighborhood, but it too is a subsection of Riverdale, as is North Riverdale. The Central Riverdale part is often referred to as Spuyten Duyvil or South Riverdale. Those in Central Riverdale usually make the distinction though that they live in Downtown Riverdale, as Spuyten Duyvil has a more quieter vibe.

Kingsbridge is very tiny. It runs from Broadway and 230th up to just south of Manhattan College Parkway. However even south of that the area tends to be associated more with Riverdale given how many Manhattan College students that live just up the hills frequent the bars in the area. Going west Kingsbridge ends where Riverdale Avenue begins and where the walls and hills start leading you to Riverdale.

Regarding Concourse and Concourse Village, I have NEVER heard anyone say the neighborhood. That goes for Highbridge too. It's very rare. They usually use Yankee stadium to describe where they're at and after some prodding they'll confirm the neighborhood.

I have heard people say that they live in Norwood though and a few other neighborhoods like Morris Park.

The Northeast area of the Bronx is another place that doesn't seem to have defined boundaries. Baychester, Eastchester, etc. all seems to be lumped in.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It's funny how certain words can just soften up everything.

I noticed a lot real estate agents trying to rebrand bad neighborhoods using "Gardens."

"Girl, you live in Brownsville?!"

"Hell no, girl. I'm in Brownsville Gardens."

"Ooooohh... girl, that sounds nice."

Introducing the NEW "South Bronx" Gardens. Revitalized neighborhoods such as Piano District, Lower / Upper Mott Haven Proper, Hunters Point Estates, Morrisania Village and Melrose Manor.

Boom, problem solved. Watch the housing stock SELL!!!
When they did that to Claremont and sectioned out an area and called it Claremont Village. nothing in that section but projects, all projects. you got Butler Projects, Morris Projects, and Washington projects lmao

Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Regarding Concourse and Concourse Village, I have NEVER heard anyone say the neighborhood. That goes for Highbridge too. It's very rare. They usually use Yankee stadium to describe where they're at and after some prodding they'll confirm the neighborhood.

I have heard people say that they live in Norwood though and a few other neighborhoods like Morris Park.

The Northeast area of the Bronx is another place that doesn't seem to have defined boundaries. Baychester, Eastchester, etc. all seems to be lumped in.

Port Morris is another one. I never hear anyone say they live there. They just say Mott Haven or South Bronx as Port Morris use mostly warehouses and auto repair shops.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
When they did that to Claremont and sectioned out an area and called it Claremont Village. nothing in that section but projects, all projects. you got Butler Projects, Morris Projects, and Washington projects lmao
Yes. I passed by there once and I was like WTF is this?

Quote:
Port Morris is another one. I never hear anyone say they live there. They just say Mott Haven or South Bronx as Port Morris use mostly warehouses and auto repair shops.
Yeah Port Morris is very industrial

Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 PM

11,449 posts, read 9,492,453 times
Quote:
So true. lol

I'm one of the few Bronxites that actually use neighborhoods for the most part.

More often than not, if I ask someone "what part of the Bronx are you from?" They answer with a street name or number.

Gun Hill <-- Most popular.
Findlay
Near 161 <--- My favorite lol.

On the flip side, more often than not, when I say I "I live in Mott Haven" --- crickets.
"I live right by the Hub." --- crickets.
"147th." --- "Oh, I know where that is!"

There's no true identity.

The Top 3 neighborhoods that have an sort of identity are Riverdale, Parkchester and Co-Op City. That's it. Everything is Bronx, South Bronx or Gun Hill.
Haha I went on a Tinder date with a girl who lived in Mott Haven her whole life and didn't seem to kbow what it is. She described her neighborhood as Brook Ave. I know a girl from Longwood and she identifies with "near Hunts Point".

Kingsbridge has identity but some Fordham residents mistakenly use it too.

Fordham and Highbridge have identity and rappers from there have even name dropped it. I mentioned Fordham to a woman the other day and she was like "oh I grew up there, on Creston Ave".

Soundview and Castle Hill have identity too. And like you said, Parkchester and Co-op city.

But most of the Central Bronx (whether North or South) neighborhood names don't get used it seems like! I wonder why that is.

Can you imagine if anti-gentrification groups claim "these colonizers are trying to change South Bronx to Mott Haven and Melrose"!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM

11,449 posts, read 9,492,453 times
Quote:

The 4 train stop is the border of Kingsbridge Heights, so you weren't too far off. But Valentine Ave ain't no Kingsbridge lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City