Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If you really want to get a taste of the industrial rave scene like it was here in the 90's you would have to head to the where it all started, Europe. They are still bangin in the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, UK etc.
Thunderdome! Hard Island is definitely more modern, but I'd love to go one day. Ticket prices to Croatia are insane though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Yeah back when "Hating" wasn't "in".

Is it any wonder I'm pessimistic in terms of outlook comparing to today's culture?

As Javawood mentioned it is still alive abroad. Japan, China, SK, UK as well as some Latin American countries.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Thunderdome! Hard Island is definitely more modern, but I'd love to go one day. Ticket prices to Croatia are insane though.
Russia also has a "new" noteworthy movement called Hard Bass.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
Default Boo and Boo 2 ny rave

Yessss. Does anyone remember the boo/boo 2 rave in ny around 97. Amazzzing vibes...

Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
kinda remember

Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
I spent a lifetime in NYC night clubs. There was nothing more important to me for a long time. The music and creative energy still lives with me. Glad to be out of it now. When I left molly was just starting to appear and synthetics were causing many overdoses coupled with a no smoking ban....BYE BYE. I still listen to club music but in the privacy of my own home...smoking allowed.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:06 AM

565 posts, read 361,965 times
Anyone who started going to raves in 1994 already missed the height of the scene. Sorry to say!

I was a metalhead thru Summer of 1991 going into college at SJU then flipped that Fall to grunge like most American kids. By end of 1991, I caught on to the rave scene thru a couple of older kids I knew on my street. Heard about these warehouse parties in south BK, which was a million miles from NQ Queens to me in those days. Little did I know at the time the rave scene was peaking over the next year or so. While I loved spending most Friday nights at NASA or Caffeine, Sat night was the real party night. I attended countless illegal raves in BK and Queens that got busted by FDNY. Many with Frankie Bones and co. cranking the beat all night. The biggest and greatest of em all being the 1st Storm Rave in LIC. 5,000 crazy kids dancing away.

While all the dorks at my college were trying to get into frats, I was trying to get into Club USA, Limelight, Tunnel, Sound Factory, Studio, Roxy, The World, etc, etc, etc. My buddy became obsessed with the Club kids and latched on to many of them, including Richie Rich, Michael Alig, Angel and co. I basically witnessed that entire scene thru the mid 90s, culminating with Angel's death by Michael Alig and Freeze, big time LL drug dealers at the time. I loved watching the movie Party Monster a few years later.

But as I started to notice the kids in my hood that were 5+ years younger than I showing up to the now more corporate raves, I knew the scene was dead! By 1996 it lost all authenticity. Saint Rudy started shutting clubs down, NYC started to become safer and nicer, and that 80s/early 90s grit was slowly disappearing and would eventually become the Vanilla city it is today.

I'll sometimes for craps n giggles drive into Manhattan on a Friday night and pass by all the clubs and spots I hit back in the day. Of course, with dismay at what they've become. That last scene in HBO's The Duece, when he's walking thru modern day Times Square but reminiscing about its older days, seeing all the characters pop up as he walked block by block. I'm that guy!

Man. I'm 48 and will always miss old NYC.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Anyone who started going to raves in 1994 already missed the height of the scene. Sorry to say!
Not true. It lasted until at least 98. I was one of those kids that snuck in with a fake ID sporting my freshly grown mustache

Just because the Manhattan venues got more commercialized doesn't mean there weren't unofficial independent pop up raves either in the city or in Queens, LI and North NJ etc.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:59 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post

I was a metalhead thru Summer of 1991 going into college at SJU then flipped that Fall to grunge like most American kids. By end of 1991, I caught on to the rave scene thru a couple of older kids I knew on my street. Heard about these warehouse parties in south BK, which was a million miles from NQ Queens to me in those days. Little did I know at the time the rave scene was peaking over the next year or so. While I loved spending most Friday nights at NASA or Caffeine, Sat night was the real party night. I attended countless illegal raves in BK and Queens that got busted by FDNY. Many with Frankie Bones and co. cranking the beat all night. The biggest and greatest of em all being the 1st Storm Rave in LIC. 5,000 crazy kids dancing away.

While all the dorks at my college were trying to get into frats, I was trying to get into Club USA, Limelight, Tunnel, Sound Factory, Studio, Roxy, The World, etc, etc, etc. My buddy became obsessed with the Club kids and latched on to many of them, including Richie Rich, Michael Alig, Angel and co. I basically witnessed that entire scene thru the mid 90s, culminating with Angel's death by Michael Alig and Freeze, big time LL drug dealers at the time. I loved watching the movie Party Monster a few years later.

But as I started to notice the kids in my hood that were 5+ years younger than I showing up to the now more corporate raves, I knew the scene was dead! By 1996 it lost all authenticity. Saint Rudy started shutting clubs down, NYC started to become safer and nicer, and that 80s/early 90s grit was slowly disappearing and would eventually become the Vanilla city it is today.

I'll sometimes for craps n giggles drive into Manhattan on a Friday night and pass by all the clubs and spots I hit back in the day. Of course, with dismay at what they've become. That last scene in HBO's The Duece, when he's walking thru modern day Times Square but reminiscing about its older days, seeing all the characters pop up as he walked block by block. I'm that guy!

Man. I'm 48 and will always miss old NYC.
Im 41, I guess I went at the end of it in 99 2000. Got to see Tunnel, Exit, SF. Good times at the time. Would not do it again at my age, but I guess all good things in all good time.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
LOL at "rave". What is it? How is it any different than nightclubs or disco as they use to call them. I remember hearing vague references to it growing up in the burbs. . How does one even get into that scene? Who did you even meet? And what do you have to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City