Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I am convinced some of these inspectors are and can be bought.
Have you EVER met a NYC agency where this wasn't the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I am convinced some of these inspectors are and can be bought.

Nothing is every anyone's fault with the city; but here is what came out after the whole KFC/Taco Bell rate situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/nyregion/28rats.html

Health Dept. Releases Rats-at-KFC/Taco Bell Report: Gothamist

More NYC Restaurants Shut in Rat Scandal

N.Y.C. admits Taco Bell rat infestation ignored - Business - US business - Food Inc. | NBC News

In private industry heads would have rolled. But things being what they are in city government (read unions, work rules, etc....) IIRC one inspector "resigned" but otherwise it was like shifting deck chairs on the Titanic.

NYC civil service is what it is; and unless someone is caught red handed disciplinary action (what there is of it) often is weak. In other words unless they could prove one or more of DOH inspectors were getting their taste....

Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
A few years ago, I was walking up 8th Avenue in the teens. It was night, about 9 p.m. I saw several HUGE rats wandering about the sidewalk.

Of course, l've long seen rats scampering around and about subway tracks.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Manhattan = rats

Give me one hundred million, and I will still not live in Manhattan

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
I walk from Henry st under the Manhattan bridge to the office by the courts/collect pond park area in the early am .. 5:30 ish... and there at rats EVERYWHERE ... I pass a lot of restaurants , even ones with A ratings... there is no chance these rats aren’t in the eateries. It’s just unavoidable ...

Old 08-16-2018, 03:53 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I walk from Henry st under the Manhattan bridge to the office by the courts/collect pond park area in the early am .. 5:30 ish... and there at rats EVERYWHERE ... I pass a lot of restaurants , even ones with A ratings... there is no chance these rats aren’t in the eateries. It’s just unavoidable ...
Norway rats love water, hence their other name "water rat".

Collect Pond was just that, a pond that city drained into Hudson River (and created Canal Street in the process), then filled in with dirt and whatever to make "land".

Mother Nature knows best and the land under and around Collect Pond still does just that, collect water. The basements of buildings built on or near all have or had issues with water seeping in, though one suspects today use of sump pumps helps.

Anyway rats long have been in that area, and one reason is the water which collects below ground. Couple this with all the food humans provide (garbage or otherwise), and it's a rat heaven.

https://tenement.org/blog/what-lies-...-collect-pond/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhK9wWJTRkA

Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Manhattan = rats

Give me one hundred million, and I will still not live in Manhattan
I wouldn't live downtown Brooklyn either for that same reason. The rat presence is strong there.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
I've lived in Forte Green since mid January and I've never seen one.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Ugh. Well, my conscience was bothering me about other people eating that mess, so I went ahead and filed the complaint with the city. I will not post anything on Yelp, because I want the owners to have an opportunity to fix the problem.

But I did read all the reviews on Yelp, and one person posted, "We saw four mice in one sitting and that was enough for us. We got up and left"

Someone else posted, "The smell of cat urine is overwhelming."

It's funny how my friend and I were sort of arguing because she didn't want to go in that bar. When I asked her why, she said because it *always* stinks like bleach. So now, in retrospect, I think that the rats p1ss all over and that the workers try to clean up the smell with bleach.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Ugh. Well, my conscience was bothering me about other people eating that mess, so I went ahead and filed the complaint with the city. I will not post anything on Yelp, because I want the owners to have an opportunity to fix the problem.

But I did read all the reviews on Yelp, and one person posted, "We saw four mice in one sitting and that was enough for us. We got up and left"

Someone else posted, "The smell of cat urine is overwhelming."

It's funny how my friend and I were sort of arguing because she didn't want to go in that bar. When I asked her why, she said because it *always* stinks like bleach. So now, in retrospect, I think that the rats p1ss all over and that the workers try to clean up the smell with bleach.
That is absolutely disgusting. You can certainly post a review on Yelp and delete it or update it later. I was dealing with this coffee shop on the Upper West Side (2 Beans). I'd walk in there at a certain time when the store was supposedly still open for an espresso or macchiato and the barista would literally have the coffee machine shut down well before closing. Then they'd tell me that they were only able to serve certain drinks. Well that's when I took my complaint to Yelp. A higher-up individual contacted me personally to apologize and gave me a gift card. It was annoying because I made an effort to go to this coffee shop and then couldn't get any damn coffee! On top of that they just weren't trained. Once I went in with cash and wanted to pay with it as someone I was doing some work for had paid me in cash and I hadn't deposited it yet. Well the great barista had shut down the register so no cash.

This place should be shut down before someone becomes gravely ill or dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City