Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times

Advertisements

We went last night.

Even after SWEARING to never see another Shakespeare comedy again, all too stupid, I was cajoled into trying TWELFTH NIGHT because it was transformed into a musical.
Not good enough to save this twaddle of a plot with dull music.

Add the venue: broiling hot night as humid as a Brazilian rainforest, uncomfortable wood slat seats, and you have a good idea what Hell might be like.

Some performers TRIED but this turkey just did not fly.

It was worth exactly what we paid. But maybe not if we count in bus fares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:38 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,223,604 times
Years ago I was invited by a colleague. Sam Waterston was in it at that time, and given how much I enjoy watching him on Law & Order, I thought oh this will be great. Well it wasn't. He was BORING. It was HOT and HUMID and I literally fell asleep. lol I haven't gone since.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,906,708 times
Twelfth Night is my absolute favorite Shakespeare. I've been wanting to go to SItP for years and years but have given up.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,555,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
We went last night. Even after SWEARING to never see another Shakespeare comedy again, all too stupid, I was cajoled into trying TWELFTH NIGHT because it was transformed into a musical. Not good enough to save this twaddle of a plot with dull music.

Add the venue: broiling hot night as humid as a Brazilian rainforest, uncomfortable wood slat seats, and you have a good idea what Hell might be like. Some performers TRIED but this turkey just did not fly. It was worth exactly what we paid. But maybe not if we count in bus fares.
Feel free to malign SITP, even though I think it's a great idea. But don't call Shakespeare's comedies stupid.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:57 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,223,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Feel free to malign SITP, even though I think it's a great idea. But don't call Shakespeare's comedies stupid.
I've read tons of Shakespeare. I took two courses on Shakespeare in college and read it a lot in AP English in high school. I just think that the renditions are lackluster.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,960,557 times
Shakespeare is as Shakespeare is played.

Because some of these "comedies" are so vacuous (and silly rather than comedic) companies take great liberties to keep the audience in their seats. Some devices work and some do not.
But the BEST Shakespeare comedy does not rise to the worst I LOVE LUCY.

I will grant that his tragedies and some of the histories are as great as English (well, NEAR English) writing gets, but the concept of a woman putting on pants and not being recognized by those who know her well is just stupid.

SITP is good or bad depending on what they do. MOTHER COURAGE, HAIR, JULIUS CAESAR, MERCAHANT OF VENICE...all great.
KING JOHN was perhaps the worst piece of sh*t I have ever seen on a stage and I have seen a LOT. But Thursday's production was almost as boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City