Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

"Plans are underway for the 750,000-square-foot Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx to become the world’s largest ice-skating complex, according to its developers."

"If approved by New York City officials, the first phase of construction would include the build-out of the 5-acre site into nine rinks, athletic facilities, and a 5,000-seat stadium. Construction for phase one would likely total $170 million in overall costs and Parker hopes to raise money for the remainder of the project in order to complete it by 2022."

https://archpaper.com/2018/08/worlds...ter-the-bronx/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:40 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
I remember people were complaining about this plan.

I see no issue with it, I don't get why people have such stereotypical perceptions of what should be in minority neighborhoods. And it certainly should not become housing, that structure is historic and unique.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:09 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I remember people were complaining about this plan.

I see no issue with it, I don't get why people have such stereotypical perceptions of what should be in minority neighborhoods. And it certainly should not become housing, that structure is historic and unique.
The thinking is that it won't be affordable for people in the community and people from wealthy parts of Westchester will just come down to use it and the neighborhood without the neighborhood getting anything in return. There is nothing wrong with turning it into housing either. Lots of historical places have been used for such things.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The thinking is that it won't be affordable for people in the community and people from wealthy parts of Westchester will just come down to use it and the neighborhood without the neighborhood getting anything in return. There is nothing wrong with turning it into housing either. Lots of historical places have been used for such things.
There is plenty of "affordable" (for NYC criteria) housing in the Bronx already, no more is needed. The skating rink would be the same as the Yankee Stadium, or the Bronx Zoo, or the Botanical Garden: an item that would bring revenue from tickets sold to people from the entire NYC area that would come to skate, tourists that would come to skate, and the professional skaters and hockey players who would come to train. It could (and probably will) also be a venue to run skating shows/revues and charge admission - basically, a Theatre District on ice. And it may give some purpose to the local ghetto kids that can direct them out of the ghetto (playing hockey is equally or more macho than joining a gang, without drugs and murder). Time will tell whether it will bring enough revenue to justify its function - if the revenue is not sufficient to justify the function, it can always be repurposed again. Even with modest revenue, it will surely bring more to the Bronx than another NYCHA project that bleeds money for no socially defensible reason, and brings nothing except more crime (and would mean another good building torn down by the "ratchet" (is that the word? :-) tenants - no historic NYC building can be allowed to go to waste for that purpose any more. Furthermore, all the existing NYCHA projects should be privatized and rented out for low rent to working people without criminal records or criminal ties - the only way to clean up the Bronx).

Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Many people in poor neighborhoods wear $200 sneakers and have iphone 10s, I'm sure there are people who can afford ice skating tickets (who knows how affordable or not they'll be, though). And the venue can be multi use.

Why get rid of a historic structure just to make an apartment building? It's not going to create a dip in Bronx rents? It would be such a waste to turn the plot into NYCHA or an 80/20 building or whatever

Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Many people in poor neighborhoods wear $200 sneakers and have iphone 10s, I'm sure there are people who can afford ice skating tickets (who knows how affordable or not they'll be, though). And the venue can be multi use.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/c...hoCH6UQAvD_BwE

Ice skating tickets? He meant the hockey gear for the kids that would be using the rink, I'm sure

How did you not catch that

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/c...hoCH6UQAvD_BwE

Ice skating tickets? He meant the hockey gear for the kids that would be using the rink, I'm sure

How did you not catch that
Yeah but it's not like you need all that gear to go casually ice skating

It will have 9 rinks, I'm sure at least one of them will be dedicated to casual ice skating as opposed to competetive sports

Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Yeah but it's not like you need all that gear to go casually ice skating

It will have 9 rinks, I'm sure at least one of them will be dedicated to casual ice skating as opposed to competetive sports
You think ice skating is an economic activity?

Of course you do, you're from Long Island

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You think ice skating is an economic activity?

Of course you do, you're from Long Island
What the hell are you talking about?

Ice skating could take place either in the form of a competitive sport (figure skating, hockey) or just for fun.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?

Ice skating could take place either in the form of a competitive sport (figure skating, hockey) or just for fun.
Agreed. I lost count of how many times friends have invited me out for ice skating as a casual activity. I always decline because I'm a ditz and don't want pics all over Facebook of me busting my ass all day.

One day, though.

And if this place ever hits, I may just do so over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City