Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM

268 posts, read 239,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
This is super helpful to know that there are big families near you. I will definitely look into Tribeca. And yeah, the short commute for my husband would be a major lifestyle improvement for us. Also very helpful insight regarding cultural differences between UWS and UES. Thank you!
I'm a longtime sahm with an IBer husband at one of those banks--feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I would also direct you to UrbanBaby.com for chatter about parenting in NYC. There is a fair bit of demographic overlap between the posters there and your current community in VA. Best of luck on the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 09:41 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
I'm a longtime sahm with an IBer husband at one of those banks--feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I would also direct you to UrbanBaby.com for chatter about parenting in NYC. There is a fair bit of demographic overlap between the posters there and your current community in VA. Best of luck on the move!
Lol urbanbaby. So you're one of those.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:05 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
I would also direct you to UrbanBaby.com for chatter about parenting in NYC. !
There is a lot of trolling on that website given it is anonymous, I would take what is said with a bit of grain of salt.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:50 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There is a lot of trolling on that website given it is anonymous, I would take what is said with a bit of grain of salt.
You know this how?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You know this how?
I visited the website, they obsess about social status and divorce/cheating like how this forum obsesses about affordable housing lottery. The original posters will create a thread only to disappear or replies to their own thread in 3rd person. Many of the threads open with a premise on how they are so weathly yet struggle with basic necessities as a way to troll.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 AM

268 posts, read 239,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Lol urbanbaby. So you're one of those.
It's mostly a junk site but I have gotten some great advice, mostly about school admissions, restaurants and travel. There are plenty of trolls but also some honestly helpful people, just like any internet message board.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
It's mostly a junk site but I have gotten some great advice, mostly about school admissions, restaurants and travel. There are plenty of trolls but also some honestly helpful people, just like any internet message board.
The lack of moderator and usernames makes it difficult to discern what is true, one troll has outsize influence over the message board. For someone who lived in NYC a long time it is easier to spot the bs, but a transplant might take it as gospel.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I visited the website, they obsess about social status and divorce/cheating like how this forum obsesses about affordable housing lottery.
Ah the sooner people accept not everyone is capable of being committed the sooner we can all live happy ever after.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ah the sooner people accept not everyone is capable of being committed the sooner we can all live happy ever after.
Not true.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
I'll also toss parts of Southern Brooklyn into the recommendation list. You could rent an entire house for under 4K, there are some REALLY good public schools in the area and less than an hour to the financial district. Train and express bus available. A bit of a trip into the city, but the reality is all of the things you think you might do and enjoy (like Central Park) you'll hardly do once your kids start up the "school year" and sports.

I grew up in a tiny house in the city less than 800 square feet with hardly any living space (no basement or attic) and there were six of us---four kids, like you. I would not want to be stuck in a tiny apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City