Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,030 times

Advertisements

Flushing- Large Professor, Mic Geronimo, Royal Flush, Action Bronson

Queensbridge- Tragedy Khadafi, Nas, Cormega, Mobb Deep, Marley Marl, MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, Black Poet

Corona- The Beatnuts, Kool G Rap

The Bronx- Kool Keith, Tim Dog, KRS-1, Lord Finesse, Fat Joe, Big Punisher, Breezly Brewin

Brooklyn- Masta Ace, Big Daddy Kane, The GZA, El-P, O.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Flushing- Large Professor, Mic Geronimo, Royal Flush, Action Bronson

Queensbridge- Tragedy Khadafi, Nas, Cormega, Mobb Deep, Marley Marl, MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, Black Poet

Corona- The Beatnuts, Kool G Rap

The Bronx- Kool Keith, Tim Dog, KRS-1, Lord Finesse, Fat Joe, Big Punisher, Breezly Brewin

Brooklyn- Masta Ace, Big Daddy Kane, The GZA, El-P, O.C.
lol... Is Nas still relevant? Amazing how time flies.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Been listening to Steely Dan of late. Was surprised and happy to find out they grew up in New York. I was a big fan of Type O Negative who is originally from South Brooklyn. What groups or artists of any genre do you listen to that are local, and how important would you say the music scene was here on the international scene. I watched a Fox Five special on the whole rock scene here. I had no idea it was so big in Bensonhurst. I dearly miss Coney Island High in the Village. Unfortunately gentrification has sort of killed off lots of music venues.

I’ve always heard that Studio 54 was THE place to be back in the day. lol Of course there was also CBGBs as well...
Im a big fan of Type O Negative and even met Pete. Great guy who was very humble and friendly. I liked Biohazard back in the day also. L'Amours was a great spot where many bands played, and Zig Zag records even had metal artists such as King Diamond visit. Those where some great days.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Im a big fan of Type O Negative and even met Pete. Great guy who was very humble and friendly. I liked Biohazard back in the day also. L'Amours was a great spot where many bands played, and Zig Zag records even had metal artists such as King Diamond visit. Those where some great days.
The Village was where it was at. There must've been three or four regular CD stores that we'd visit for heavy metal/death metal/trash metal/black metal/grunge and alternative. Then we'd go around and then pick up t-shirts, anywhere from around West 4th to 8th street, going from west down to St. Marks Place. In college I had about 20 or more metal shirts all from the Village or online sites. Every day a different band. One of my professors took notice and asked me just how many black t-shirts do you have? lol Coney Island High was our usual spot for bands. The bathrooms were disgusting but they did the job when you were full of beer. lol Then we'd make the trip home by subway smelling like an ashtray with our ears buzzing from the loud music.

I miss Sounds and some of the others. There were tons of record stores off of 6th along West 8th street too. It's amazing how hip and posh that area looks now, but walking down 8th street, the memories come back.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,030 times
Quote:
lol... Is Nas still relevant? Amazing how time flies.
I'm not really into his latest, but he did do an EP with Kanye West a few months back that received critical acclaim.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,597 times
Sugar Hill Gang
and a second mention for KRS-One
Boogie Down Productions

Old 08-27-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
I'm not really into his latest, but he did do an EP with Kanye West a few months back that received critical acclaim.
I remember that song "If I Ruled The World". lol Never was into the rap scene, but some of those songs back in the day had good beats. The 90s especially was a great music scene for NYC.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 PM

329 posts, read 299,104 times
The Rolling stones

Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
The Village was where it was at. There must've been three or four regular CD stores that we'd visit for heavy metal/death metal/trash metal/black metal/grunge and alternative. Then we'd go around and then pick up t-shirts, anywhere from around West 4th to 8th street, going from west down to St. Marks Place. In college I had about 20 or more metal shirts all from the Village or online sites. Every day a different band. One of my professors took notice and asked me just how many black t-shirts do you have? lol Coney Island High was our usual spot for bands. The bathrooms were disgusting but they did the job when you were full of beer. lol Then we'd make the trip home by subway smelling like an ashtray with our ears buzzing from the loud music.

I miss Sounds and some of the others. There were tons of record stores off of 6th along West 8th street too. It's amazing how hip and posh that area looks now, but walking down 8th street, the memories come back.

I remember these shops too. They had one called Norms I recall also. I used to visit the Tower records shop also. I am into some really obscure progressive rock/metal bands and often found them at tower if not the smaller stores. I have a punk friend who uses to take us into Trash and Vaudeville where he bought clothes.

Went to a few punk shows at Coney Island High. I remember sticky floors, and a hole in the wall that was basically the trash can. Was overflowing with beer bottles, pizza crust etc. It was real gritty and embodied the punk and Rock vibe that was prevalent in the area. Moshing and a pile of puke or two was par for the course LOL.

Wetlands and CBGB were great clubs too, with some memorable high energy shows. There was a goth club called the Bank that people in the Goth scene liked. One guy I knew who went there believed he was a vampire. Never went, as a bottle of blood light was not on my menu. Preferred a nice lager and a different scene from that.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 PM

983 posts, read 930,933 times
I'm a big hard rock + metal guy, but sadly the NYC area isn't great for that. A few bands in the 80s but most of the good new metal bands are from the west coast + boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City